EMP bomb

I would love to see an EMP bomb be used in major conflict areas that is capable of knocking out the shields of every ship within a 10 km radius. If in a a wing or if allies are nearby the player would have to hit a "transmit shield frequency button" that prevents friendly shields from going down. this could also lead to new types of sheilds that perhaps "cycle" or new modules/utilities that could intercept the enemy's "shield frequency" transmission. This could give a seriously interesting turn to any massive battle. Of course bombs would have to be fairly expensive and the ship would have to carry it in cargo (perhaps it takes more than a single ton even). Things would get really interesting if the player forgot to transmit frequency or if the enemy ships could hijack the EMP bomb and turn the tables. Would be absolutely insane and could give more of that chaotic element that truly exists in the heat of battle!

I would love to see an EMP bomb be used in major conflict areas that is capable of knocking out the shields of every ship within a 10 km radius. If in a a wing or if allies are nearby the player would have to hit a "transmit shield frequency button" that prevents friendly shields from going down. this could also lead to new types of sheilds that perhaps "cycle" or new modules/utilities that could intercept the enemy's "shield frequency" transmission. This could give a seriously interesting turn to any massive battle. Of course bombs would have to be fairly expensive and the ship would have to carry it in cargo (perhaps it takes more than a single ton even). Things would get really interesting if the player forgot to transmit frequency or if the enemy ships could hijack the EMP bomb and turn the tables. Would be absolutely insane and could give more of that chaotic element that truly exists in the heat of battle!

Meh, just make mine launchers interesting.

-High Shield Damage OR Hull damage (choosing ammo)

-Invisible to radar unless within a few hundred meters

-Limited seeking ability to targets within short range

-Large AOE

i somehow like the suggestion, but only without "shield frequency" transmission - e.g. all shields going down in a fixed radius (or massive shield damage). obviously on the ship dropping it, too. and you should need a hardpoint for it. and for those flying shieldless, without shields utility slots malfunction?

i somehow like the suggestion, but only without "shield frequency" transmission - e.g. all shields going down in a fixed radius (or massive shield damage). obviously on the ship dropping it, too. and you should need a hardpoint for it. and for those flying shieldless, without shields utility slots malfunction?

for flying shieldless it could be drive overload or damage to power plant, this would mean that no matter what it affects something. For small ships it should have a damage that knocks off shields and if there is any left takes it off of modules, for example a sidey with say 45 damage and 100 shields an EMP of 200 would take 100 damage of of the modules which could cause a catastrophic explosion.

EDIT:IIRC its how I viewed the Energy bomb in Elite/Frontier/FFE :)

Last edited:
This would be neat. Shut down FSD's in the area, shut down targeting computers, anything that is functioning electronically in the area when the bomb goes off, it shuts down until the system reboots.

This would be neat. Shut down FSD's in the area, shut down targeting computers, anything that is functioning electronically in the area when the bomb goes off, it shuts down until the system reboots.

ah! this is a really good idea. all EMP, witch is not migitated by shields, starts a system reboot :)

If the emp goes off, it should hit everything in the AOE, including the ship that launched it unless that ship gets outside of the blast radius.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
If the emp goes off, it should hit everything in the AOE, including the ship that launched it unless that ship gets outside of the blast radius.

.... at which point, the WIng mates of the ship that deployed the EMP drop in to the instance and make free with their full shields and weaponry....

And can you imagine how upset you'd get if your over anxious wingman decides to go Leroy Jenkins when the wing moves in and detonates it when the targets are outside of range but you're inside of range?

And can you imagine how upset you'd get if your over anxious wingman decides to go Leroy Jenkins when the wing moves in and detonates it when the targets are outside of range but you're inside of range?

amazing! or, you drop an emp bomb, your wingmates move in, but an enemy player drops his emp bomb then. or, you are attacked by an shieldless FDL, and you drop an emp bomb, and while he reboots you fire a full load of torpedos... expensive, but very satisfying :)... ah, i already love it!

Hello, Neuratox. :)

If there's one thing ED's been missing, it's the Energy Bomb from the original Elite. The main reason it's missing is because it's massively overpowered and hugely prone to abuse in the multiplayer modes (dedicated griefers will happily grind for a month, in return for six seconds of someone else's tears). This idea suffers from the same problem.

... but I've been thinking about it - and with a few slight adjustments, it might just be doable, in a fair and even-handed, yet still ridiculously overpowered way. How about a Nebula Bomb: won't go off within 50 KM of a station, stupidly large (one hardpoint = one single, solitary shot), hugely expensive, 10 KM AoE, causes no direct damage, but has plenty of tactically nasty effects - no shields, disrupted visibility (but not too much, or actual cheaters will have a field day), constant, random disruption to all ships' systems... and a perfect excuse for the art team to create their own rendition of the beautiful Mutari Nebula from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

As a predominantly PvE player, I'd be quite happy with that. It would definitely make NBs, RESs and especially CZs into much more interesting beasts. Does it work for you, or is it not enough?

Top Bottom