Horizons Engineers function

With 30 of them more than a few are bound to be really useful though I suspect whomever takes care of the FSD will get the most visits. I know it is far to late for this idea to become reality but Ive been thinking and wanted some feed back. The engineer I would use most, lets call him Jack, would offer up compartment partitioning and combining. Basic idea is that your internal slots could be split into 2 smaller slots or added to make a bigger slot at the expense of hull integrity and power.

To combine internal slots would require two slots of the same size. Example 2 size 4 slots with 16 cargo each are combined to make 1 size 5 slot with 32 cargo. This allows say the DBX to equip a class 5 fuel scoop that it could not before. However 1/4 of your armour is taken away now that you removed the walls in your ship. The other benifit to this is higher rated shields if you want to risk your hull.

Partitioning would do the exact opposite, a size 2 slot could be made into 2 size 1 slots to fit disco scanners or for traders whom could fit a docking module and only lose 2 cargo in ships that dont have a class 1 slot.

I believe this would really help so many ships feel more personal. Exploits I think would be limited but would love to hear of any ships that would be bad in this model; in theroy cargo can never be added to a ship, with -25% hull per change this can only be done 3 times and even if used to get strong shields there is a major disavantage to hull that can not be replaced through internal slots easily.

Traders get the least amount of benifit from this, if your trade ship does not have a class 1 you could split a size 2 and carry a disco scanner, small fuel scoop, or even a docking computer while retaining 2 cargo you would have lost putting those modules in a size 2.

Smugglers could definatly use the disco scanner space. From experience I pre plan my routes and sometimes do not have time to buy discovery data so a disco scanner is a must.

Combat bigger shields at hull reductions are a thought. Also bigger intridictors or whatever else you want.

Explorers could always use bigger fuel scoops not to mention several ships suffer a lack of internal space to carry everything required to land on far off planets.

The principle of customizing internal slots does have some appeal, and would certainly add some flexibility to the outfitting in general, but some balancing issues may arise from that. However, the fact that we will be supposed to be able to walk within our ships in the future would probably make splitting or combining internal slots an issue.

Well, maybe not for splitting, but suppose the two compartments you want to merge are physically separated by a corridor giving you access to the cockpit, I don't see how that could be achieved without hitting the game's internal consistency when we will have access to the whole ship.

Ahh yeah the interior model could be a problem, I really wish we could get a look at concept interior blueprints just for giggles. Its bad enough they have already fudge numbers a bit for balancing. I.e. a size 6 slot only fits 64 tons of cargo but a size 6 prizmatic shield is 80 tons, same problem with planetary hangars and hull armour. Which all that stuff doesnt bother me just a note.

Ahh yeah the interior model could be a problem, I really wish we could get a look at concept interior blueprints just for giggles. Its bad enough they have already fudge numbers a bit for balancing. I.e. a size 6 slot only fits 64 tons of cargo but a size 6 prizmatic shield is 80 tons, same problem with planetary hangars and hull armour. Which all that stuff doesnt bother me just a note.

p = m/v should not be completely ignored.

Top Bottom