Expiration of Completed Missions

Despite playing for many years, I just learned the hard way that there is a hidden expiration timer for completed (combat) missions.

In an attempt to improve my Confederation rank, in order to purchase the Corvette, I stacked a bunch of 'kill pirate' missions together and ground out 15+ missions over a period of a few days. Happy with my bounty hunting I took a break before I planned to visit all of the corresponding mission givers and claim my credit rewards, and more importantly, rank status rewards. When I logged on again, all of my completed missions had disappeared!

Frontier informed me that "Nowhere is it explicitly stated or shown, but a mission will disappear after one week."

I have no problem with the game mechanic and completed missions expiring, but surely something as potentially consequential should be emphasized clearly, and ideally, a timer made visible.

I'm honestly quite shocked that a game that pays so much attention to detail has this game mechanic hidden from players, especially in relation to the missions which are a core component of game-play for many of us.

Now that I know, I will alter the way I complete and claim missions. Unfortunately, it was a painful lesson to learn.

One of my major sources of friction to playing this game are the real time ticking timers to failure. My real life doesn’t come with predictable and lengthy play sessions, so frequently I’m unable to select my favorite missions due to being unable to guarantee being able to complete them on time.

For BGS purposes, I get why they exist, but I would play a lot more frequently if there were tiers for completing the mission:
  • Short Timer - bonus pay and reputation, BGS effect
  • Long Timer - base pay and reputation, no BGS effect
  • Completing the mission - half pay, no reputation, no BGS effect
And if I were to play more frequently, especially Odyssey on-foot missions, I’m much more likely to buy ARX.

I was under the impression that completed (non-odyssey?) missions like CGs don't just vanish when they expire but get turned in with the default reward. But I haven't paid much attention to mission rewards.

CGs are their own thing. They get auto turned in after 2 weeks.
Well the rewards are automatically paid into your bank two weeks after completion, you still have to turn the required stuff in at the appropriate station before the CG finishes.

But yes other than being in a related bit of the UI CGs have nothing in common with missions.

One of my major sources of friction to playing this game are the real time ticking timers to failure. My real life doesn’t come with predictable and lengthy play sessions, so frequently I’m unable to select my favorite missions due to being unable to guarantee being able to complete them on time.

For BGS purposes, I get why they exist, but I would play a lot more frequently if there were tiers for completing the mission:
  • Short Timer - bonus pay and reputation, BGS effect
  • Long Timer - base pay and reputation, no BGS effect
  • Completing the mission - half pay, no reputation, no BGS effect
And if I were to play more frequently, especially Odyssey on-foot missions, I’m much more likely to buy ARX.

Agree 100٪ Darkfyre99. For players that play sporadically, the mission complete clock (and now the mission claim clock) turns the missions into a grind that need to be completed in a single play session regardless of the actual mission timeframe.

Back
Top Bottom