Newcomer / Intro Exploration Ship

thanks, for all the responses.

not so sure what i will do now. maybe i will do some more bounty hunting missions with my fas and buy a better ship.

what interests me is the guardian frameshift drive. where do i get it and is there any downside to it? can you engineer it?

The Guardian FSD booster is an add-on to your regular FSD, it uses power, an internal slot and extends your FSD jump range, you can't engineer it. No further downsides.

Since CMDR Exigeous has made a turorial video, there's not much us mere mortals could add:

Hi,
Budget explorers:-
Hauler ( with engineered fsd, minimum mass for everything else) good jump range, no armament, no passengers
T6 - with enhanced red and thrusters, virtually defenceless, but good jump range, cargo and passenger capability.
Dolphin - with engineered fsd, enhanced thrusters (grade 4), can outrun almost everything, carry passengers/cargo. Almost impossible to overheat. (I've taken one to Colonia from Shinrata).
all cheaper than the Asp X.
Once you get past the Asp X threshold, Krait Phantom - Anaconda has the longest range and largest cargo/passenger capacity. It's also the most ponderous...

if you're out in the Galaxy, you're very unlikely to encounter other commanders, apart from the known attractions.

I use an Asp Explorer for exploration and hauling passengers Like others have said, if interdicted you run and not fight. That way you can extend your jump range by not loading cannons or lasers. My Asp explorer easily jumps 65 LY with passengers and 70+ LY when exploring.

Hey OP, don't over think it too much. Just use your AspX for now, get those Guardian boosters and make a few credits. You've got plenty of time for a nicer ship later

Biased on your description.
Exploration
Delivery
Courier
Fetch
Not defenseless

Though not actually an exploration ship in the typical sense, as a long range mission runner the changes below should fair better.

• Reinforced Alloy - Heavy and reduces jump range opt for Lightweight Alloy (can be engineered without weight change)
  • Power Plant - Overcharge/strip , too much power with heat efficiency of .5, opt for armored/thermal spread much better efficiency and enough power to support the build
  • power distributor - engine focus/flow control, current loadout of all beam would last for 1-2 seconds. changed to charge/cluster cap to better support weapons.
  • all Beam Lasers, too power hungry for the power distributor. switched with 2 medium burst, and 4 multi cannons. enough bite against npc pirates when needed.
  • electronic countermeasures , too situational switched with shield booster to beef up shields a little to counter less hull.

Compared stats original/suggested
Jumprange 39.24LY / 40.58LY
speed 350m/s / 352m/s
Heat Efficiency .5 / .32
Shields: 208mj / 250mj
Hull 789 / 638
SDPS 46.4 / 35.3
total Weapon Drain time 2s / 44s (4pips)

Multi-role ships rarely make sense. Always choose a ship that's suitable for the job in hand, then optimise it in the outfitting. There's no point in putting weapons on a ship that isn't optimised for combat because if you try to use them, you'll most likely get blown up. Also, putting weapons on a ship not used specifically for combat only slows it down and compromises its jump range.

Outfitting takes hardly any time so you don't need to carry everything around with you. You can sell any modules at cost price, so you can change them whenever you want without penalty. You can store any modules that you've engineered.

If you want combat, get yourself a combat ship, like a Vulture, which is a million times better than an Asp. An Asp is Ok for smuggling and courier missions. If money is a problem, get a T7 and hit that triple LTD hotspot in Borann 2A. That will also get you elite trader in a couple of evenings, which gets you access to Jamesons Memorial, where you have every module for one-stop re-outfitting.

Last edited:
One trip to the triple LTD hotspot in Borann 2A will get you about 200 mil - about two hours work. A second trip would get you up to 400 mil, which is enough to buy any ship you want.
can you explain what you mean by that? ltd hotspot in borann 2at? what should i do there?

can you explain what you mean by that? ltd hotspot in borann 2at? what should i do there?
LTD - Low Temperature Diamonds, these can be mined in planetary rings using both mining lasers or core mining tools.
Hotspot a region of a planetary ring with a higher concentration of certain mining materials, they can be found by mapping the ring using the DSS module. Some hotspots overlap each other improving chances of finding material even more.
Borann 2A is the location of the ring to be mined, the innermost (A) ring of planet 2 in the Borann system.

Last edited:
Top Bottom