Faction reputation information needs numerical values.

I can't tell how far I am into "Unfriendly" status with the Federation, how much reputation certain missions designated by the Federation give, or how much reputation I need to advance to different relational states with the Federation, which is pretty silly. Can we get numerical representations for these sorts of things so that we have a general idea of what we're doing and where exactly we stand with our affiliated factions? There's honestly no reason at all for this not to be in the game. It should've been there from square one.

I disagree with you proposal and here's why.

The current system gives a coarse grain indication of your relationship status with a faction.

If you are Unfriendly with the Federation and decide you want to improve this relationship then keep doing things to improve it.

Eventually the status will change.

If we go with your suggestion it now becomes; I'm -20 rep with the federation and need to get this above 0. Looking through the mission list I see 4 missions, only on of which increases the rep by greater than 20. I then choose this mission as it meets my meta-game goal.

The game then falls into a meta game of numbers, which is in my opinion bad for the appeal of the game.

Just my opinion!

@Commander Turi: +1 Too much Numbers in Games ruin it, there should be much more Stuff that Players can't know exactly.

I also disagree. I mean it's nice to know roughly how things work and I think we haven't been told enough at this stage, but giving us any kind of numbers would not be at all realistic and not make much sense in this context.

A progress bar with a percentage showing your current position between each stage of relationship such as neutral / friendly would be great. As it is there is no way to even begin to quantify the positive or negative impact of what a player is having on his relationship to his world. The idea that we must avoid any meta is foolish and will have a negative impact on player population. Your not going to reverse years of social engineered mindsets about games and progression clarity and achievement but you can put it on a diet so to speak by reducing the visual / numerical clues. I'm for a less hand holding game but my wallet should not be the only obvious measure of progress.

I'm sure there are plenty to disagree but I guarantee the positive impact of giving even a smaller increase in progression clarity would work wonders.

A progress bar with a percentage showing your current position between each stage of relationship such as neutral / friendly would be great. As it is there is no way to even begin to quantify the positive or negative impact of what a player is having on his relationship to his world. The idea that we must avoid any meta is foolish and will have a negative impact on player population. Your not going to reverse years of social engineered mindsets about games and progression clarity and achievement but you can put it on a diet so to speak by reducing the visual / numerical clues. I'm for a less hand holding game but my wallet should not be the only obvious measure of progress.

I'm sure there are plenty to disagree but I guarantee the positive impact of giving even a smaller increase in progression clarity would work wonders.

Well said.

@Commander Turi: +1 Too much Numbers in Games ruin it, there should be much more Stuff that Players can't know exactly.

I'm not even going to attempt to explain how ridiculous your comment was. I just... I'm just not, okay?

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I also disagree. I mean it's nice to know roughly how things work and I think we haven't been told enough at this stage, but giving us any kind of numbers would not be at all realistic and not make much sense in this context.

So, for the purposes of "realism," we should all be completely in the dark as far as whether or not doing faction-related missions is even doing anything significant to our reputation? How in the heck do we know if we're just wasting our time if we're trying to grind reputation with a certain faction? Be reasonable.

Eventually the status will change.

How should we know whether or not completing faction-related missions is significantly increasing our rep with said faction? We have no way of knowing how much we're influencing our preferred faction by completing X / Y / Z mission. In other words, we're completing missions with the purpose of grinding rep without knowing whether or not we're just wasting time on certain missions. Being in the dark in that respect -- with the lingering thought of "am I wasting my time with this cargo hauling mission?" -- is an unnecessary headache, and you know it.

As far as in-game immersion is concerned, wouldn't it make sense to seek out and ask faction-affiliated employers to inquire, say, how one might be able to help their faction in the greatest possible way? In this respect, there's nothing inherently wrong with additional information. It's simply a way of addressing a problem in the game for some players. If others don't care about faction rep and just want to complete contracts, so be it. As a cardinal rule of thumb, more information is nearly always better than less information, and giving information isn't going to do anything to prevent players that want to grind faction rep mindlessly from doing so.

The only reasonable thing to do is to provide expanded information about factions. The lack of information in this game in general, especially with respect to outfitting, is utterly absurd and has no viable reason to exist as it does.

Last edited:
I agree with OP, we definitely need a better indication for how close we are to the next "stage" of rep. On top of that, it would be really nice to see how much rep we gain from different missions (on the mission screen).

Top Bottom