Failed Retreat - any thoughts

Hi all,
recently my group tried to push a retreat and we didn't succeed while to my best knowledge we should have. Can anyone help me out and tell me why it failed?
Here is the history (INF and State values after the tick on that date:

Date
INF
State
None
Retreat
Retreat
2Retreat
Retreat
Retreat
None
Thanks in advance.

That seems to be the cause. But I was always under the impression a faction needed to be under 2.5% at the end of Retreat, not the day before...

Curious as to how you tried to hold them down. I would have tried to buff all other factions, is that what you did? or did you try to put that faction down thru other means? Only way I'm gonna learn. :)
I'm trying to do the opposite. Keep a retreating faction from leaving.

Last edited:
it must remain under for the entire time. Any time it goes above, retreat is cancelled.

A couple of recent counter-examples:
https://cdb.sotl.org.uk/systems/45/history?minrange=3305-01-28&maxrange=3305-02-06
Carpe Noctem retreat from Poe despite being above 2.5% for a couple of days during the period. (Presumably they were back below 2.5% on the missing 4th February record, though!)

https://cdb.sotl.org.uk/systems/7/history?minrange=3305-01-28&maxrange=3305-02-05
Brian's Thugs retreat from Metztli with a peak of 4.1% during the retreat period

So far as I can tell only the last day matters.

Well Greno, someone says Retreat works, someone says only need the last day under 2.5%..... someone says for the entire period. I say: retreat doesn't work, probably only somewhere.....!!!! I opended a thread about too.... I copy and paste my Group experience, worst than yours, read it:

"06/02/2019
-retreat: doesn't work.
we failed our second attempt to put a npc faction in retreat. Same as the first time: first two days of retreat after a war 1%; lots of missions/passengers against. Third day inexplicably 6.5%. Fourth day other missions/passengers against 4.9%. Fifth day other missions/passengers against 4.4%. Sixth day end retreat 6.4%.

And..... almost sure that no CMDRs have interest in that System against us!

Low population: 171464."

And...... lockdown, civil unrest don't work too in my experience!!!!! Lot's of kills, clean and wanted, notoriey 10 !!!!!! Don't go under status none. With multiple status at once now..... think abuot retreat+lockdown...if it were possible!!!!!!!

Last edited:
What causes factions to go INTO retreat? I had a quick look and only see info about how to end it, not what causes it to start.

(Reason: I have been watching a faction at 1% INF for the last 2 weeks which I'm trying to get into Famine and am a bit worried it will go into retreat before I get there...)

What causes factions to go INTO retreat? I had a quick look and only see info about how to end it, not what causes it to start.

(Reason: I have been watching a faction at 1% INF for the last 2 weeks which I'm trying to get into Famine and am a bit worried it will go into retreat before I get there...)

Pending Retreat starts as soon as a Faction goes under 2.5%. After that, goes in Status retreat that lasts 6 days but..... expecially now is very very easy to stop a retreat...!!!! Just a cople of missions for that Faction one time...!!!!! More than 2.5% easy.

Last edited:

Is the faction native to that system? If so they can't retreat.

As Mangal pointed out, I imagine you shaved above 2.5% just slightly. The way to check is to look on the news reports as sometimes these show more decimal places.

Well Greno, someone says Retreat works, someone says only need the last day under 2.5%..... someone says for the entire period. I say: retreat doesn't work, probably only somewhere.....!!!! I opended a thread about too.... I copy and paste my Group experience, worst than yours, read it:

"06/02/2019
-retreat: doesn't work.
we failed our second attempt to put a npc faction in retreat. Same as the first time: first two days of retreat after a war 1%; lots of missions/passengers against. Third day inexplicably 6.5%. Fourth day other missions/passengers against 4.9%. Fifth day other missions/passengers against 4.4%. Sixth day end retreat 6.4%.

And..... almost sure that no CMDRs have interest in that System against us!

Low population: 171464."

And...... lockdown, civil unrest don't work too in my experience!!!!! Lot's of kills, clean and wanted, notoriey 10 !!!!!! Don't go under status none. With multiple status at once now..... think abuot retreat+lockdown...if it were possible!!!!!!!

Lockdown is very useful in certain situations to pin down a faction. However, its only practical in low traffic systems with low to medium / high populations. Ironically sometimes its easier to maintain a retreat in a higher pop system as low pop can swing wildly with little input.

Last edited:
...Ironically sometimes its easier to maintain a retreat in a higher pop system as low pop can swing wildly with little input.

That's a good point, and an effect that appears to have been enhanced in the latest update. High pop systems seem to be much harder to arrange to your liking now, but once done you can walk away and they're very stable. Low pop systems can change at the drop of a hat.

That's a good point, and an effect that appears to have been enhanced in the latest update. High pop systems seem to be much harder to arrange to your liking now, but once done you can walk away and they're very stable. Low pop systems can change at the drop of a hat.

From my experience, high traffic makes any work an order of magnitude harder in the new system- which is both good and bad.

A couple of recent counter-examples:
https://cdb.sotl.org.uk/systems/45/history?minrange=3305-01-28&maxrange=3305-02-06
Carpe Noctem retreat from Poe despite being above 2.5% for a couple of days during the period. (Presumably they were back below 2.5% on the missing 4th February record, though!)

https://cdb.sotl.org.uk/systems/7/history?minrange=3305-01-28&maxrange=3305-02-05
Brian's Thugs retreat from Metztli with a peak of 4.1% during the retreat period

So far as I can tell only the last day matters.

Interesting, thanks. When we retreat, we tend to keep the retreater at 1% throughout if possible, so it's been a while since we properly tested that.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to report this as a bug because so far there hasn't been a clear reason for this retreat to fail.
To sum up:
  • Clearly cases exist of factions getting above 2.5%, then back below that and retreating at the end of the Retreat period.
  • On the final tick of the Retreat period the INF dropped to 1%
It almost seems like the BGS first evaluates the potential state changes and only afterwards recalculates the INF.

On another note, there have been questions regarding how we did this: there are 7 factions, we managed to bring 4 into conflict just around the start of the Retreat period and worked to lock the final 2 as well (without success though). Through that time whenever we saw INF increase for the targeted faction, we destroyed several of their clean ships.

It almost seems like the BGS first evaluates the potential state changes and only afterwards recalculates the INF.
That appears to be the case.

If it was the other way round you'd get the reverse "bug" - the faction would be above 2.5% on the final day, but on the critical tick it could get its influence decreased to 2.4%, then the retreat evaluated which succeeds so you never actually see its influence in that system was 2.4%, so it would have appeared to be retreated despite its influence being too high.

I think this way round is probably the better of the two, though it leads to issues either way.

At least - with the new multistate approach - it's possible for it to be consistently "state then INF". With the previous ability for a war in another system to forcibly end the retreat, sometimes it was state-then-inf and sometimes it was inf-then-state

Back
Top Bottom