Fdev, you need to look at Hadad and Indra right now!

If this ISN’T a bug, then all I can say is…. What an anticlimactic end to an already anemic war won by poking the enemy with a shtick.

IMG_0010.jpeg

I’m sure it’s a bug tho.

Perhaps the Titans that remain are preparing to leave soon? Maybe the SCO drives will be required to chase the Thargoids as they retreat? Just a wild guess...
O7
V

Unsurprisingly, not entirely intentional:

I saw that, but I didn't understand it.
The simple version is the unintended progress was reverted and the ones which were “legitimate” (as in anything that was not caused by the excessive bugged spire stuff) got some progress manually added back to it.

I don’t think we will get an in-game/lore explanation for this. Would have been (a little) more interesting if at least one of the Titans decided “Nah screw this, I’m taking my Thargoids and leaving”.

I was thinking the Titans were linked. Each defeat weakens those that remain.

That would be an acceptable narrative IMO, if they wanted to end this faster than predicted.

I was thinking the Titans were linked. Each defeat weakens those that remain.

That would be an acceptable narrative IMO, if they wanted to end this faster than predicted.

My personal headcanon is that, from the Thargoids' perspective, this war isn't a climactic conflict, but more like a punitive raid that, from our perspective, looks like something bigger.

They may well have felt that they couldn't wait until the new year for that, having suggested a "summer" release for Powerplay, and therefore the Thargoids needed to strategically adapt to be more easily destroyable.

How much of this change is intentional is a different matter: there seem to be three or four components to it, and the ones which aren't "100 control systems recaptured overnight" look like a sensible way to take the edge off the really tedious bits of attacking a maelstrom's inmost systems (and finally make something other than sampling the dominant human strategy, hurrah!) to make a one-per-month pace for the remaining Titans a bit more viable.
Then why did Oya launch 30 new, unexpected attacks a few weeks ago?

That behavior goes against what you are suggesting.

Then why did Oya launch 30 new, unexpected attacks a few weeks ago?

That behavior goes against what you are suggesting.

Only FDev can say for sure, but I've seen speculation that the rash of Alerts was a manually inserted delaying tactic, although I'm not sure if it slowed down our valiant AX fighters all that much in the end.

Yes, Orthrus hunting in Alerts was fairly ineffective before and is probably still ineffective now. The change appears to have been to the effectiveness and consequences of attacks on Thargoid spires (where you can also hunt Orthrus, of course)
I was in Omumba, a Control system without Spires, when it went from ~50% to 100% in 30 min. How do you explain that?

Last edited:
Only FDev can say for sure, but I've seen speculation that the rash of Alerts was a manually inserted delaying tactic, although I'm not sure if it slowed down our valiant AX fighters all that much in the end.
Precisely. Specifically inserted by FDev to delay AX war progress. Which means that FDev wants to slow down the destruction of the Titans, not rush it like it was being said by a few in this thread.

Precisely. Specifically inserted by FDev to delay AX war progress. Which means that FDev wants to slow down the destruction of the Titans, not rush it like it was being said by a few in this thread.
Theory from some of the war planners around here is that it was done to make time for another attempt to fix the “stuck pineapple” (thermal core) of the Titans.

Of course, that fix didn’t quite do it, so whether there was ultimately any point to said delay other than annoy people involved in clearing the Titans out is a different matter.

Frontier can simultaneously want to slow down Oya by a week to get 18.03 out in a (mostly unsuccessful) attempt to fix the instancing issues with Titan attacks and want the whole war to be over before the end date around December the pre-18.04 rules would have likely led to. They've pushed difficulty both up and down on numerous previous occasions to fit the requirements of the plot.

And certainly the suggestion that they want the Titans completely out of the way for Powerplay launch is entirely player speculation. Nevertheless, if they do want that, they will need to either delay the Powerplay launch significantly beyond its previously advertised time or make the subsequent ones significantly easier to defeat.

I was in Omumba, a Control system without Spires. when it went from ~50% to 100% in 30 min. How do you explain that?
- the Spire attack mechanism is that attacking a spire causes other systems at the same Maelstrom to weaken.
- as a result of U18.04 changes, the number of other systems weakened by Spire attacks was increased and the rate at which they were weakened increased extremely substantially
- so Omumba which wasn't previously in range of Spire weakening got brought within it and then rapidly completed due to the major attacks happening on Hadad's spires.

Obviously the rate of progress was a bug; what we don't know from Frontier's announcements is what exactly constituted the bug as multiple things changed at once about how the spire attacks worked.

Top Bottom