Feature Focus tidbit: Skins

Did anyone else pickup on the fact that we will be able to unlock specific skins from Challenge Mode? My guess would possibly be movie accurate skins. This may be why we have not gotten a look at the dino customization GUI yet.

So Jens, can you confirm that dino skin customization is a hybrid system, where we can do our own thing or select a prerendered skin?

I feel Chaos Theory mode is more the direction for getting movie stuff, the Challenge mode seems almost anti-canon.

At this point in our knowledge, I would imagine it's four gene slots, body colour, pattern type, pattern colour & model type. I don't know if canon combinations would be given specific names, aside from null of course.

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
So Jens, can you confirm that dino skin customization is a hybrid system, where we can do our own thing or select a prerendered skin?
Hey IG Lord Ragtag! I covered this in the Feature Focus about customisation, actually: You will be able to select from several different patterns per dinosaur species, and this will determine what markings they have. Once you've set the pattern you can change the colour of the pattern and the base colour of the dinosaur. Colouration is selected from a set of different colour options, and while you won't be able to make a fluorescent pink T. rex, you will have a wide variety of different combinations of patterns and colourations to choose from.

I feel Chaos Theory mode is more the direction for getting movie stuff, the Challenge mode seems almost anti-canon.

At this point in our knowledge, I would imagine it's four gene slots, body colour, pattern type, pattern colour & model type. I don't know if canon combinations would be given specific names, aside from null of course.
Possibly, though I think there are enough movie skins and models to spread across both modes. Depends on how many missions Chaos Theory incorporates and what difficulty levels.

Hey IG Lord Ragtag! I covered this in the Feature Focus about customisation, actually: You will be able to select from several different patterns per dinosaur species, and this will determine what markings they have. Once you've set the pattern you can change the colour of the pattern and the base colour of the dinosaur. Colouration is selected from a set of different colour options, and while you won't be able to make a fluorescent pink T. rex, you will have a wide variety of different combinations of patterns and colourations to choose from.
Jens,
I'm confused here. As stated in the Feature Focus, in Challenge Mode we can unlock skins as a reward for completing the various difficulty settings. How are those going to be selected?

OR is that another miss speak, and what we really are unlocking are patterns with different/predefined and locked (?) color options from the default patterns/colors as part of the base game?

Last edited:
This hurts my Camp Cretaceous hopes

Jens,
I'm confused here. As stated in the Feature Focus, in Challenge Mode we can unlock skins as a reward for completing the various difficulty settings. How are those going to be selected?

OR is that another miss speak, and what we really are unlocking are patterns with different/predefined and locked (?) color options from the default patterns/colors as part of the base game?
I'm assuming "skin" is a new pattern.

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
You unlock new pattern colours and skin colours in Challenge Mode, and then you can pick and choose which colours you want your dinosaurs to have when bio-engineering them.

You unlock new pattern colours and skin colours in Challenge Mode, and then you can pick and choose which colours you want your dinosaurs to have when bio-engineering them.
So just colours & not the patterns themselves, tis fair I suppose.

Looks to be basically the same as the first game at least. Just colours, this time around they can separate it a lot more due to pattern being separate to colouring. Which is nice imho.
I'm still going to end up doing challenge mode. Under protest and whining, just like jwe haha, I'm a campaign player not a challenge mode enthusiast or sandbox creative mind. So, nice to hear it's colours. for challenge mode at least.
Chaos mode would be a nice spot to give us movie based cosmetics, hints and wishing

Does each species have their own set of patterns, colors, and pattern colors? Or do they all share one huge pool?

Will I be able to choose a different model? I'd really love a film accurate male T. rex for my amphitheater.
FB_IMG_1629965625783.jpg

Top Bottom