News Feature Requests Update #2: We’re Gonna Need Bigger Guns

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Feature Requests Update #2: We’re Gonna Need Bigger Guns

Whether you’re an intrepid explorer or a ruthless bounty hunter, with all of the threats that one could face in the galaxy someone is likely to take a pop at you eventually. Therefore it is only understandable that many of you were curious to learn more about the various ways that you’ll be able to turn your fellow players into space-dust!

Combat will be one of the most dynamic and fast-paced activities in Elite: Dangerous and whilst not all of the elements have been ironed out, we are able to at least respond to some of your more unique weaponry requests from the Kickstarter campaign:

Non-lethal Weaponry

Several ideas for non-lethal weaponry were thrown about the forums in the months after the Kickstarter announcement, from viruses that disable other ships to EMP weapons and tractor beams. The team are keen to include a diverse range of weaponry into the game and were happy to confirm that some non-lethal options will be available to players:

Sandy: There will be many options of non-lethal weapons that disable rather than destroy ships.
Michael: We will be looking into non-lethal ship attacks.
David: -Though avoiding frustration for the victim too will be a key factor when looking at classes of damage.

Information is Key

Knowing what you’re up against when engaging another ship will of course give you a tremendous advantage. With this in mind, several people asked if there would be any computer or tech available for your ship, which would give you a technical breakdown of your opponents attack & defence capabilities.

Sandy: There will be something like this – specific details are undecided. This will need a separate discussion.
Michael: Yes, although full details are yet to be determined.
David: Yes – a standard scanner will just show the ship type and name. You will be able to buy a unit that will detail some of the equipment fitted and cargo carried using an ‘active scan’ – but this will alert the victim that they are being scanned.

So whilst the details have not yet been ironed out, expect there to be some sort of tech for your ship that can help you assess your opponents!

...And the Rest

Amongst other requests, where enquiries about cloaking devices, the ability to set booby traps and even the inclusion of something akin to the Genesis Device from Star Trek. Here are the team’s reactions to all three:

Cloaking devices
Sandy: Probably not, although there will be a range of stealth based/related systems available to the player.
Michael: Not explicitly, but there will be mechanisms for improving stealth capabilities.

Booby trap system
Sandy: Mines will be present in the game – not really sure what booby-traps we are talking about though. This sort of thing would likely be a debate with the Design Decision Forum.
Michael: Mines will be present.

Genesis Device
Sandy: No
Michael: No

More Information about more general weaponry will be forthcoming as production continues, but hopefully this update gives you an idea of our stance on some of the more specific requests we’ve had. Thanks again for reading and for backing Elite, I’ll be back with a similar update new week.

Thanks, Ashley

Thanks Ashley, I am especially interested in the scanners and protecting yourself from them, if possible. Also the other ship equipment is interesting to hear about, like more advanced nav computers for explorers.

glad we are getting an IFF system as part of the scanner, will be nice to see who your'e up against without having to target them.

Oh goody, I'll be very interested to hear how the implementation of Mines and booby traps works out. I'm not sure how these can be placed in such a way to be effective, given:

"Space is big, really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. You might think it's a long way down the street to the Chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space..." Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

Presumably there'll have to be some sort of bottle-necking or booby-trap guidance to make these work? Otherwise the chances of a ship stumbling into a mine are Ten to the power of my overdraft?

Although booby-trapping the docking mechanism on a ship or station? That kind of guerilla warfare I can get on board with! :)

"Space is big, really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. You might think it's a long way down the street to the Chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space..." Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

Depends on you - if you can lure the enemy into a trap, or lay mines around its mines in the place where the enemy sneak up?
=)

Thanks Ashley, I am especially interested in the scanners and protecting yourself from them, if possible.

The ability to scan, and to protect yourself from scans, could lend itself to some great in-game 'scan race' where new scanning tech is introduced, then say 3 months real-time later there are news reports of counter scanning tech becoming available, followed some time later by rumours of upgraded scanning tech to overcome the counter scanning, then... well you get the idea ;-)

I am a bit concerned about weapons that can disable ships (or render them immobile due to some kind of stasis field) .... perhaps its just a temporary effect (as in a few seconds) or is quite weak and a ship can still move? Or does it require multiple hits in order to function?

I just feel it needs to be kept in balance with targeting ships with lasers/missiles and needing to repeatedly hit them in order to take their shields down.

The ability to scan, and to protect yourself from scans, could lend itself to some great in-game 'scan race' where new scanning tech is introduced, then say 3 months real-time later there are news reports of counter scanning tech becoming available, followed some time later by rumours of upgraded scanning tech to overcome the counter scanning, then... well you get the idea ;-)

Yes, I get the idea :) But those anti-scan equipment should be hard to get, if they ever become available. There could be several grades/manufactures/types of scanners ( and anti-scan equipment ofc ).

I was thinking of some kind of disabling device - lets call it a 'remora' that you fire towards the ship you want to disable. If it hits the ship it attaches to it, and you can then 'fire' it - and it shoots an EMP pulse directly on the target.

Safer for you as you can stand off and stay away from the effects, but you have to get it on your opponent first!

unlicensed beam lasers

is it true that unregistered beam lasers, available from some of the worse places and frowned upon by galcop system vessels, if seen and reported, will also be unscannable? The decision to have a surprise-attack weapon and be an offender would not be a choice made by respectable traders like myself, but you never know what pirate types might want.

All sounds like good stuff to me, and got me thinking that maybe there should be systems such as running power to systems other than shields for normal cruising then automatically having it diverted to shields when an active scan is detected.

Being all in favour of choices and options, I thought that many ships systems could be user configurable, such as whether or not to divert power from system 'A' to system 'B', alter the balance of power distribution between missile propulsion & explosive yield, whether to do it manually, or to set to happen automatically, how much to divert, or setting preset conditions like states of readyness.

That then led to the thought that the game could have an optional scripting language for ships systems so players could write ship automation routines to their own preferences, with some off the shelf versions for those note able to or wishing to, get code savvy.

Last edited:
All equipment should have multiple versions (possibly made by different brands, supported by the Federation, Empire and Independents)... of course basic and advanced versions on sale (at all almost all shipyards, not all space stations sell equipment) and maybe a few really high end versions that are only available at systems classed as naval bases (possible permit required?)

but also role specific versions could be awarded by their supporting houses/factions etc, for example reach Commodore Rank in the military should open new items for sale (maybe even a dedicated military shop)

I would like to see extremely rare equipment that you can not buy, maybe earning through challenges or completing a very difficult mission tree... or as derelict loot

Driver information

It would be nice to have the driver informations spaceship targeted.

Name commander, rank Elite, rank military, criminal record, the bonus rewards for the kill ect ...

Yep definitely should be able to get some military equipment though mission success only not by purchase so it would stop those throwing a credit card at the game in order to fast track to a iron ass.

illu Minti

Deadly, But very fluffy...
I would like to see extremely rare equipment that you can not buy, maybe earning through challenges or completing a very difficult mission tree... or as derelict loot

Yep i like that idea to, promotions from Empire/Federation, or challenges to get rare equipment.
Played a game like that before, where everyone has a chance to win/achieve say a shiny rare powerful black Lazar cannon for those who complete, or even if you only manage half a challenge, you get the cannon but in silver, and not as powerful as the black one.

I like games that keep challenges/events hard(within reason) makes it more addictive, after the first flush of running around as we all will do when ED comes out, it would be good to have have Ranks/Items to try to obtain, keeps that "must have one more go before bed feeling"!;)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom