Featured Creator: SHADOWxPHENIX

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Every month we put four amazing Planet Coaster creators in the spotlight; each Featured Creator will have one week dedicated to them, their amazing Workshop, and other wonderful contributions to our community. This month we are talking to Aritario, Woody, SHADOWxPHENIX, and Fricker, who can also be found on the Planet Coaster globe!

We will continue with:
SHADOWxPHENIX

Workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ShadowxPhenix/myworkshopfiles

Thanks for joining us as Featured Creator, Shadow. How did you get started with Planet Coaster?
I’ve actually been a player of Rollercoaster Tycoon series since coming across the first one at a store one evening. When I was younger I used to sit and draw amusement parks on paper and wonder what it would be like to own my own theme park. So I bought the game and ended up playing till the sun came up the next day. I saw the first teaser of Planet Coaster during E3 and it immediately became my MUST have game. When the alpha came out I watched others play it and finally broke down and got it myself, but was actually intimidated by the game for awhile. It wasn’t until it was close to release that I actually really got into the game and I’ve not been able to put it down yet. I’ve got about 1400+ hours in it so far.

What makes you (and your creations) stand out?
I don’t really know if my creations stand out but my fans on Twitter, Twitch and Youtube would maybe disagree! I guess I try to go for a more realistic build type rather than epic builds. A lot of my creations I think are useful to the average player as I create them for myself or for a park I’m working on and think: “Hmm I bet others would like this…”

What is your favourite feature in the game?
I don’t know if I can really say just one thing. Everything about this game is just so good. The music, the sound effects, watching the guests interact with stuff. I think If I had to choose just one thing to call my favorite… It’s being able to have mostly complete freedom to build as I please. No grids, tons of options, being able to twist and mold the coasters into what I imagine in my head.

What is your favourite creation/video you’ve ever created (so far)?
Oh that’s easy, It’s my recreation of Big Bad Wolf. I have a love of inverted and suspended coasters. And unfortunately I never got to ride it myself before it was taken out. As soon as the Spring Update dropped with the suspended coaster in it, I took a day off work and started on my recreation immediately. It took me about a month and a half to finally get something I was happy with and though I never got to ride the original, I now have a version that I can enjoy.

How do you feel about being part of the Planet Coaster community?
A lot like the RCT community; I love it. Being able to come together and share thoughts and builds with other coaster enthusiasts. None of my actual friends are really into amusement parks and coasters like myself. Not even close. It’s nice to have a community who not only shares that passion but inspire with their own creations in the game.

Tell us a little about yourself, what you study/work/do in real life.
I’m a 41 year old gamer who has been playing video games since the original Atari 2600. I guess you could say I was OG, haha! In college and even high school I was always heavy into drawing and art and studied Graphic Design in College. In the last few years I’ve really gotten into streaming games on Twitch and showing off Planet Coaster creations on YouTube. I wish I could be a professional streamer so I could play this game all day long for a living, but unfortunately that’s a fantasy I can’t live. So I pay the bills by doing customer service/tech support. When I’m not working, playing Planet Coaster, or making YouTube videos, I’m trying to talk my girlfriend into streaming and playing Planet Coaster as well!

If you were to dress up as a Planet Coaster mascot, which one would it be?
Watching the mascots interact with guests and such is just awesome. If I had to choose one I’d say Captain Lockjaw! I could definitely see myself as a pirate.

What inspires you?
So many different things inspire me at any given moment. Sometimes I’ll see a single picture of something, or maybe a new coaster or ride announcement. I love watching walkthrough videos of parks. In fact I spend a lot of free time watching YouTube videos about amusement parks and coasters. Seeing what others create can also inspire me.

Tell us a little about your creative process – how long do your creations take, do you listen to music or work for hours and hours until something is perfect?
Usually I’m streaming while I build in Planet Coaster at the same time. It’s nice to have the interactivity with others in my stream chat. Get their opinions or ideas on what I’m doing in real time. Typically I’ll be listening to my personal Pandora station I set up which consists of mostly classic rock and hard rock music. As far as how long a creation takes me: a typical smaller creation only takes a few hours, but I’m somewhat detailed about my builds so I take my time to make sure it’s really good before I’d put it out for others. A lot of my creations have come from my Vista View Park that I’ve been working on since release day of the game which I had to start over due to saving over it accidentally.

Pass on the praise: which creator do YOU admire?
There are a ton of just fantastic creators out there. Silvarett for one; he packs so many details into what he does and is a true master of the game. DeLadysigner, Rudi, all those most people know. But there are others who I admire as well: N7 and MaskedBandit from the Brocoaster series bring such realism to their creations and the video series itself is just hilarious to watch as they banter with each other and guests. SdanWolf has such awesome creativity and puts that into the game so fast. Almost every day it seems like I see something from him that would have taken me weeks to create and it feels like he does it in hours.

I don’t think I could honestly list all of them. But I spend some time on the workshop looking to see what others have done so I just want to say that everyone can be praised for the work they put into the creations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks for the interview, Shadow. It's nice to know a little bit about the background of you and your fellow featured creators.

Also thank you for sharing your creativity with the Planet Coaster community! :)

Great interview! It's amazing to read more about you and how you do your amazing creations!!! Thanks a lot for sharing!!

Top Bottom