Newcomer / Intro "First to Map" Accolade

If you'll do this for a while, you're going to discover that most planets are not mapped, even in systems that are already discovered and scanned.
Most explorers don't bother mapping everything, some map only planets that look interesting and some (I'd even say most) of the discovered but unmapped systems you'll encounter were simply discovered before mapping was even a thing.

So there's nice money in mapping if you're willing to put in the required time.

Pretty much everything within the Bubble has now been mapped, though there might still be one or two outliers out there somewhere. Noticed in my own perambulations that Guo Zi had a whole bunch of Unmapped planets in it a couple of months ago; when I posted this fact here on the forum, they were all gone within a few hours. Nearby, Bulkuylkana also had a few Unmapped planets in it, right up until it became a Control system for Yuri Grom. But I haven't seen any Unmapped planets in the past few months.

So if you want your own name stamped onto some poor unsuspecting planet, you'll have to leave the Bubble. Once you get out past 500 LY from Sol, finding systems with Unmapped planets becomes more and more common. You need to get out beyond 1000 LY before actual Undiscovered planets start to become common.

All depends on the direction you go, of course, The straight-lines to Sag A, Colonia, the Formidine Rift and all the big, shiny nebulae are thoroughly explored by now. "Aim at nothing", and you're more likely to find Unmapped and Undiscovered systems.

If you'll do this for a while, you're going to discover that most planets are not mapped, even in systems that are already discovered and scanned.
Most explorers don't bother mapping everything, some map only planets that look interesting and some (I'd even say most) of the discovered but unmapped systems you'll encounter were simply discovered before mapping was even a thing.

So there's nice money in mapping if you're willing to put in the required time.
These days I only map ELWs and landable planets with bio signals. Heck, even ELWs I don't always map immediately (I'm saving some for my alt), so if anyone else finds them before I get back to them, they are yours.

I would map more, but there really isn't much point outside of credits, and I can make way more credits hauling Tritium. I map ELWs because they are so rare, and I map bios because I actually go down to the surface to investigate POIs. I wish there was more reward to mapping, like an actual gameplay reason to do so. Perhaps when more planets are landable, mapping will reveal more POIs.

I don't map everything either but it's nice to see your CMDR name against stuff. I do map ammoni, TWw and ELWs though: I just find mapping takes too long but if I'm looking for geo sites, then I'll do the deed. I'm a bit lazy!

Top Bottom