Fixing the Player Bounty cap.

Currently, player bounties cap at 2,000,000 credits, which is pretty silly. You kill an enemy with a 1b bounty and get 2m credits? Makes it absolutely not worth it.

Of course, the reason it was changed was to prevent players from farming up billions in bounties and then dying with no credits on them to generate cash out of thin air.

To fix this, I'd like to see a series of changes to bounties to avoid exploits and bad behavior.

1. All bounties cap out at the criminal's credit total.
If they have a 1b bounty but only have 200m credits, the bounty hunter gets 200m credits; no more. No credits are generated from the void.

This fixes the problem of players generating credits from thin air, but raises its own problem; pirates could just fly without any credits, and never need to pay off any bounties.

Which leads to the second part:

2. Unpaid bounties are converted into the temporary removal of all permit locks, as well as the systems where the crimes took place.
3neHsau.png
1618804463672.png

The above curve(with accompanying formula) shows how this would function; the X-axis is the unpaid bounty, in hundreds of millions of credits. The Y-axis is the number of days the offending player would be permit locked from the systems in question.

For the purposes of clarity, I'll say this again; this would be the temporary removal of all permit locks, as well as the generation of new permit locks(exclusively for that player) for the systems where crimes took place. In a worst case scenario, a player who had an unpaid bounty of 1 billion credits would have their permits revoked for 10 days. By contrast, a player with between 0 and 200 million credits in unpaid bounties would be banned for up to about 8 hours.

This should, hopefully, encourage players to have enough credits to pay off any bounties they may have, without excessively punishing them if they fail to do so, and not significantly punishing accidental cases.

This does, however, still leave the problem of players just killing their friends to claim their bounties, essentially removing the bounties at the cost of a rebuy. Credits would be transferred from one player to the other, but if they're friends or alternate accounts, that doesn't matter. I would fix this potential problem with two changes.

3a. All player bounties, when claimed, automatically deduct a 25% surcharge from the total, which is lost permanently.
This way, even if the system is exploited, the criminal player still loses a minimum of 25% of the total credit value.
3b. Player bounties are not immediately removed, and instead are changed to an 'inactive' state, where they decay by 50% per day.
Any new crimes committed will instantly re-activate the inactive bounty. This way, it doesn't matter if their friend kills them; continuing to commit crimes and being killed will give them just as much of a bounty as before.

The bounty would have its first 50% reduction instantly on death, but the next 50% reduction could not happen until the next day, even if the player is killed again.

Hopefully these changes would close any loopholes in the player bounty system, allowing them to actually provide meaningful payouts to prospective bounty hunters.

This seems a bit over thought. If a pirate is flying with 0 credits its not like he is getting away free. no money means no rebuy. This is not preventative but it is prohibitive as it vastly reduces what you are willing to risk and increases the amount of work needed to return to the same point you were. Also.... other than the founders permit something that could be a mild inconvenience how is suspending permits an issue?

not that i care if this is changed at all just think they way your going about it is odd.

This seems a bit over thought.
I tend to do that. Perils of a job where you've got nothing to do but think all day.

If a pirate is flying with 0 credits its not like he is getting away free. no money means no rebuy.
True, but the person who would be doing this would probably be doing so specifically for the sake of exploiting it. So you'd probably do it in a ship you can easily afford to lose. Which honestly isn't that difficult nowadays; kit it out with guardian tech and tech broker weapons and you can make a ship that has no engineering, costs relatively little, and yet is extremely effective against your average human pilot. A Vulture with two shock cannons, for example, can do 350 DPS but only costs about 15 million credits to build.

This is not preventative but it is prohibitive as it vastly reduces what you are willing to risk and increases the amount of work needed to return to the same point you were.

In what regard? The punishment faced by the criminal is no different from presently, the primary difference is that the bounty hunter makes more money.

Also.... other than the founders permit something that could be a mild inconvenience how is suspending permits an issue?

All the permits are useful in one sense or another. The main purpose, however, is adding a disincentive beyond just being locked out of the system where the crimes took place, as being locked from, say, a backwater low-sec isn't much of a punishment. It needs to be strong enough for players to want to have enough credits to pay their bounty.

All the permits are useful in one sense or another. The main purpose, however, is adding a disincentive beyond just being locked out of the system where the crimes took place, as being locked from, say, a backwater low-sec isn't much of a punishment. It needs to be strong enough for players to want to have enough credits to pay their bounty.
Yeah i would just make an alt or two if my goal was just to gank people with no RP or other motive. Kill the alt before his bounty got to high rinse and repeat ignoring all of this.

Yeah i would just make an alt or two if my goal was just to gank people with no RP or other motive. Kill the alt before his bounty got to high rinse and repeat ignoring all of this.

If you can't pay the bounty, if you get killed, you're at least shut down for the a few hours/the day, since you'll be permit locked from the system, which is most likely one of just a few systems, like Deciat.

And because the bounty wouldn't completely go away, that would only work if you only used the alt relatively infrequently, or didn't kill very many people, both of which mean it's pretty well working as intended.

If you can't pay the bounty, if you get killed, you're at least shut down for the a few hours/the day, since you'll be permit locked from the system, which is most likely one of just a few systems, like Deciat.

And because the bounty wouldn't completely go away, that would only work if you only used the alt relatively infrequently, or didn't kill very many people, both of which mean it's pretty well working as intended.
or just kill the alt between killing people. before the bounty gets all that high

Also - temporary removal of all permit locks?

Hmm yes I'm sure the imperial navy and the checks notes dukes of jotun will be so mad at me that they revoke my permit locks for jotun and achenar because I did some crimes in...uhhh... pomeche. I dunno I just picked a system at random off the security report.

Also - temporary removal of all permit locks?

Hmm yes I'm sure the imperial navy and the checks notes dukes of jotun will be so mad at me that they revoke my permit locks for jotun and achenar because I did some crimes in...uhhh... pomeche. I dunno I just picked a system at random off the security report.

It's none of those factions doing it; it's the Pilot's Federation self-regulating to preserve its reputation.

It's none of those factions doing it; it's the Pilot's Federation self-regulating to preserve its reputation.
Immersions aside, t's awful gameplay for people to engage in a war between factions and get locked out of a completely unrelated faction.

Criminal behaviour is an intended part of the game. If it wasn't, then it wouldn't have been coded into the game in the first place. There are better ways to go about making criminal behaviour have consequences than just going "you get locked out of this system by unavoidable GM fiat".

Immersions aside, t's awful gameplay for people to engage in a war between factions and get locked out of a completely unrelated faction.

Criminal behaviour is an intended part of the game. If it wasn't, then it wouldn't have been coded into the game in the first place. There are better ways to go about making criminal behaviour have consequences than just going "you get locked out of this system by unavoidable GM fiat".

You would only get locked out if you break the rules of engagement. IE, if you fly around without enough credits to pay off your rebuy+bounty.

Similarly to losing your ship without rebuy, the blame for this rests squarely on your own shoulders.

Unless you think losing your ship if you don't have enough credits to buy it back is also 'unavoidable GM fiat'.

Top Bottom