Flak Launcher vs Basilisk?

Hi,

I'm wondering if you guys actually bring flak launchers when taking on a basilisk solo?

I use a fast (570 boost) FAS (3 gauss 1 flak) for hit and run tactics against a cyclops or basilisk. While I can outrun a cyclops easily while waiting for his shields to drop, this only works sort of ok-ish vs a basilisk. I do have to boost pretty permanently to keep a basilisk out of range.
Now this would seem like a good time to cull his swarm a bit, however I don't seem to get enough time on target on the swarm until the basilisk closes in again. Also it seems that the basilisk outruns his swarm while following me, so more often than not I can't get a good shot off.

Would you drop the flak vs basilisk in favor of a 4th gauss cannon? It would be a drain on the distributor as well as my heatsinks and also being hit by his swarm hurts quite a bit. However, letting him catch up with me while trying to destroy the swarm hurts even more.
The matchup "Me vs Basilisk" is a 5-3 currently (2 retreats, 1 rebuy), but my wins have all been very close, and for reasons above I think I didn't even kill 1 swarm completely.

How do you guys use flak launchers against basilisks? Boost FA off, turn around, take potshots and hope for the best? Pull the swarm away from the goid? Ignore it?

I was thinking about doing a video on how to use flak but, as Dr Nagi pointed out, there are already lots of good guides out there on how to do it (done far better than I could).

Just so happens one of them uses a 3 gauss FAS with flak against a Basilisk, I think it's an excellent video and it should answer all your questions:
NOTE: shwinky added the following after making the video, "the Thargoid's fire rate does not increase as it loses hearts. Also, I mention near the end of the video that you can distract the Interceptor with ship launched fighters to gain distance in a slower ship. This no longer works as of 3.3 since SLFs do not draw aggro anymore."

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzo-R1MkKL0

Good luck o7

Usually if I'm not super fast, I engage the swarm by boosting straight past the 'goid and flying through the swarm. Obviously a bit of a risk, but it always seems to be the fights I do it in that I win.

Also, I mention near the end of the video that you can distract the Interceptor with ship launched fighters to gain distance in a slower ship. This no longer works as of 3.3 since SLFs do not draw aggro anymore."

is that right? I haven't fought any in a while, but I never used SLF's...so are SLF's useless when going up against bigger goids now? I thought the bigger ones were impossible to solo without an SLF.

I think it is a great idea to learn to use the flak cannon. The SLF can only dodge so much and the swarms become ever bigger with the varieties of interceptor. That said, I am terrible with the flak cannon. Granted, the last time I tried I had a sticky trigger which may have contributed.

Usually if I'm not super fast, I engage the swarm by boosting straight past the 'goid and flying through the swarm. Obviously a bit of a risk, but it always seems to be the fights I do it in that I win.
It's not something I've done much myself but plenty of vids of of people solo'ing Hydra doing just that in the bigger ships, it definitely works.

So far I get on well with FA-off reverski flak, boring to watch but effective for me. If I'm still struggling to do a Hydra in a few months I'll have to rethink.

is that right? I haven't fought any in a while, but I never used SLF's...so are SLF's useless when going up against bigger goids now? I thought the bigger ones were impossible to solo without an SLF.
I've never used slf in solo fights, only in AX CZ, but when interceptors are around they don't last long, not because of the interceptor but as soon as the swarm takes an interest they're toast, and they toast faster the bigger the swarm.

I'm not an AXI member so am not in on the meta but I've yet to see any Hydra solo vid using an slf.

I've never used slf in solo fights, only in AX CZ, but when interceptors are around they don't last long, not because of the interceptor but as soon as the swarm takes an interest they're toast, and they toast faster the bigger the swarm.

I'm not an AXI member so am not in on the meta but I've yet to see any Hydra solo vid using an slf.

yes, but that's ok. the point of a fighter is not to actually do any damage, but draw the goid's/swarm's long enough for you to get some distance so you can repair/recharge shields, ETC. It's basically a glorified heat sink. Sounded from that quote I quoted that that doesn't work anymore.

yes, but that's ok. the point of a fighter is not to actually do any damage, but draw the goid's/swarm's long enough for you to get some distance so you can repair/recharge shields, ETC. It's basically a glorified heat sink. Sounded from that quote I quoted that that doesn't work anymore.
Sounds like that to me to, but as I say I'm not in on the meta. I'm a small/medium ship pilot and always have the speed to get distance so I've never tried slf when soloing.

When Interceptors appear (whatever size) in AX CZ I let the fighter die and don't relaunch till I've dealt with them, I find they're more of a hinderence than a help.

Top Bottom