Fleet Carriers : add basic Bridge, basic flying and in-System Navigation

• Thread starter Deleted member 38366
  • Start date

Deleted member 38366

D
Here's things I really miss on the "sense of ownership" of having built my own Carrier in the Beta :

Carrier Bridge

Sorry, it absolutely needs one. It's a must-have.
After spending in excess of like 7 Billion Credits in the Beta, I literally felt like an Idiot sitting in my Ship. An Idiot who had more-or-less scrolled down most of his Credit Balance for no good reason.

Without standing on a Bridge and looking out of the Window onto all the landing Pads below, I was a mere Passenger - just like any random stranger/visitor.

Suggestion :
  • after docking, allow to enter Bridge (can recycle "entering SRV" animation), screen goes black for a second and you find yourself looking out out of the window of the Bridge at the back end of the Carrier
  • there, a minimal HUD allows to open Menu for Carrier Management as usual, plus the Option to board back any of your docked Ship (Ship selection Menu if multiple are stored)

Not a huge change to things - but has a massive impact on the experience. You get something for all your money and indeed you're the Commander of that thing now.

Very basic flying / re-orienting the Carrier

A Carrier needs some basic flying controls - if only to re-orient it for a better Screenshot or optimal scenic or navigational positioning (i.e. orient its Landing Pads towards a desired traffic hotspot).
While this seems minimal and redundant, it would go a >long< way to fulfill the "Carrier experience" that's currently 100% lacking.
Obviously, a Carrier wouldn't move fast or really get anywhere it isn't supposed to go in normal space.
But the ability to maneuver IMHO is mandatory - flying the Ship must be an option, if only to re-orient it in space really. That's enough - but important.
Give that a nice Sound FX and a mild rumble... and we have a winner!

Control Mode? Similar to Combat Mode/Analysis Mode in our Ships - one mode is the current Carrier Management UI - the other mode to perform basic flying.
Very slow, very low degrees/per sec agility - should be no issue for docking Ships.
Same Hotkey (Analysis/Combat) - and suddenly you can fly the Carrier a little bit, if only to re-orient/rotate it.

In-System repositioning

In lieu of being able to summon Carrier to precise, present Position of own Ship at a Destination (if valid for Carrier placement), having the ability to make small in-System correction is required to put the Carrier as close as possible to its intended Target Position.

Since flying it in normal space over any distance is out of the Question (no SuperCruise), it would have to take place via a MicroJump within the System.
Consumes a small bit of precious Tritium - but puts the Carrier exactly where it needs to be.

Reason : if i.e. I would want to park it over a profitable Mining Hotspot on a Gas Giant, the last place I'd ever want it to be would be.... on the other side of that Gas Giant.
Those few Ls can make all the difference between "great parking" and "great, now I have to fly 5 Minutes at low speed due to the gravity well to dock".

If multiple Carriers offer their Commodity Markets i.e. to Hotspot Miners (please sell your ores here and there's Limpets for you to buy), the one randomly parked right over the sweet Hotspot would get all the traffic - while the 2nd one unfortunately on the other side of the Gas Giant would basically go empty - although both had been positioned onto the very same Gas Giant.
-> small in-System differences in a competitive environment can make a huge difference in Carrier Traffic... and resulting profits.

Ideally, one would fly the own Ship close to the "perfect spot" and then summon the Carrier to that very spot, if it qualifies for Carrier positioning.

----------------

IMHO those little Details are game-changers to the currently lacking concept of Carrier ownership and the experience that must go along with such a tremendous investment.

The Bridge doesn't need complex modeling, just the Windows to look out and access the Menus from there. Or enter any docked own Ship again.

And the ability to perform very basic flying from a Bridge is required to really fit the Carrier into the Game - which is about owning, outfitting, optimizing and flying a Ship.
The Carrier must be no exception to that rule. It IMHO needs a nice view (Bridge) more than any other existing Ship.

Last edited by a moderator:
A flight deck mod for capital ships is one of the top mods installed in games like X series that lack them natively. Could even have like a passenger lounge that populates with the holo-me's of commanders along for the ride.

Could even have like a passenger lounge that populates with the holo-me's of commanders along for the ride.
A sort of observation deck, overlooking the landing pads as well, so the docked cmdr's could watch the jump from there.

And why not have options to choose which ship manufacturer provides the bridge/observation deck. Do you want to be stylish in Saud Kruger fashion or just utilitarian like Lakon.

Yes the carrier must be absolutely equipped with a bridge and the possibility of being maneuvered.
It would also be interesting to jump from one planet to another (minijump).

A sort of observation deck, overlooking the landing pads as well, so the docked cmdr's could watch the jump from there.

And why not have options to choose which ship manufacturer provides the bridge/observation deck. Do you want to be stylish in Saud Kruger fashion or just utilitarian like Lakon.

Ideally it would have a Bridge for the Captain to oversee the ship and manage jumps and a Traffic Control station for when it's sitting idly in a system and allowing CDMRS and NPC's to land, and a visitor lounge would be nice as you suggest.

Being able to look out of the bridge is ok.

Being able to "fly" them though?

Nah, that's silly. These things don't really fly - they just jump from place to place.

Why not having them as huge capital ships that work like Farraguts or the Imperial thing (I don't remember the name...) With turrets, and heat relays to blow up, adding more to the upkeep and making them somewhat useful and vulnerable at the same time?
Even better, make them destructible, so we can have a laugh :ROFLMAO:

Being able to look out of the bridge is ok.

Being able to "fly" them though?

Nah, that's silly. These things don't really fly - they just jump from place to place.
Why is that silly? I can't imagine a ship being unable to maneouvre... At least in real space.

We should be able to plot a course and see our crew slowly execute.

I love the suggestions, OP.

Why is that silly? I can't imagine a ship being unable to maneouvre... At least in real space.

We should be able to plot a course and see our crew slowly execute.

I love the suggestions, OP.

Sorry, silly was probably the wrong word.

I feel like it doesn't really fit with the game design for these things.

Flying them around in super cruise would, for me, just make them seem very odd.

I was surprised there wasn’t a bridge view prior to browsing the management menus. Instead I was hung out to dry in space, and in VR, not pleasant....

Flimley

Yes, yes, yes!! Quite ridiculous, that you would manage your carrier from your ship in the hangar....would also be nice, if you could invite your friends as guests to your carrier bridge.

Some answers are stupid, they can't fly, they can't go supercruise, not this, not the other, enough.

That we have not seen it does not mean that they cannot do it and just because of the size, absurd.

With so much denial we are going to be able to play this game from our mobile.

Deleted member 38366

D
Sorry, silly was probably the wrong word.

I feel like it doesn't really fit with the game design for these things.

Flying them around in super cruise would, for me, just make them seem very odd.

Keep in mind I didn't mean "normal flying" as we do our Ships by any means.
But rather "moving" that behemoth very slowly in normal space (bank, pitch, change orientation) is needed, plus some minimal (almost notional) forward velocity.

Technically flying but mostly about re-orienting it and the feeling of piloting it. It'd effectively go nowhere obviously - but you'd be flying it if you desired so.

I understand this might be a total non-issue for some but I'm convinced that fundamental ability to transform it from a "static, 3rd person view only MegaShip" to a "you own and fly this Carrier" experience is a very important detail.
Only then will it become a "Ship you can fly" , even if within very tight limitations. But it wouldn't be a static, dead MegaShip anymore you're merely allowed to visit or manage in 3rd person view from some UI.

Everyone everyone, calm down. This is Frontier we're talking about.

Yet another half-a**ed offering that in 1-2 years might finally be what everyone wanted. Kinda.

This woud be a great way to introduce not being bound to your chair. Have it so you're standing, maybe in a control ring, as that's what's "limiting" walking. But just the mere chance to be doing something other than sitting, commanders would surely visit or buy a FC just to stretch their legs.

Top Bottom