Newcomer / Intro Flight Controllers....

Since I’ve “given“ my son my old Thrustmaster Hotas (PC)
I need a new Controller —> if I want something that’s not massively expensive but with more “buttons” and slightly less plasticky is the Logitech X52 or X52 Pro a step up? Or is there a better recommendatio?
Thanks
NC

The X52 is a great HOTAS for ED, but it has some problems as it's not 100% compatible. The main problem is the throttle buttons not assignable. They come and go randomly and different people have different experiences, solutions or work-arounds. Third party tools that translate the buttons into keystrokes would solve this. The next problem is that the throttle detent will break very soon. It's best to remove it, so that your throttle doesn't suddenly jam when you need it most. The detent is good for setting zero and 75% throttle, so would be missed at first, but you soon get used to it. Finally, the spring in the yaw (Z-axis) will break after 1000 hrs or so. You can't buy a rplacement, but it's pretty easy to adapt one from standard springs that you can buy on Ebay as long as you're used to doing that sort of thing. The standard spring is 15mm dia, 1.2mm wire, two turns and the ends leave at rightangles in the same place, so you can get a 3 turn spring and unwind a bit and bend the ends into the right shape with pliers. I've repaired both X52 and X52 pro like that. The original X52 spring lasted about 50% longer than the X52 Pro.

There isn't really anything else in that price range. If you're serious about flight sims, it's worth getting decent sticks, like Virpil.

The X52 is a great HOTAS for ED, but it has some problems as it's not 100% compatible. The main problem is the throttle buttons not assignable. They come and go randomly and different people have different experiences, solutions or work-arounds. Third party tools that translate the buttons into keystrokes would solve this. The next problem is that the throttle detent will break very soon. It's best to remove it, so that your throttle doesn't suddenly jam when you need it most. The detent is good for setting zero and 75% throttle, so would be missed at first, but you soon get used to it. Finally, the spring in the yaw (Z-axis) will break after 1000 hrs or so. You can't buy a rplacement, but it's pretty easy to adapt one from standard springs that you can buy on Ebay as long as you're used to doing that sort of thing. The standard spring is 15mm dia, 1.2mm wire, two turns and the ends leave at rightangles in the same place, so you can get a 3 turn spring and unwind a bit and bend the ends into the right shape with pliers. I've repaired both X52 and X52 pro like that. The original X52 spring lasted about 50% longer than the X52 Pro.

There isn't really anything else in that price range. If you're serious about flight sims, it's worth getting decent sticks, like Virpil.
This surprises me....I mean the Hotas X I’ve given my son I’ve had for years.......it’s much cheaper & hasn’t failed in this time. Is the X52 Pro really less reliable than a cheaper alternative??

This surprises me....I mean the Hotas X I’ve given my son I’ve had for years.......it’s much cheaper & hasn’t failed in this time. Is the X52 Pro really less reliable than a cheaper alternative??
They have been sold/made by about three companies over their lifetime, during the middle one of those periods they were very variable in reliability.

All these cheap sticks have their own problems that will show up in time. It's not how long you have the stick, but how much you use it. I've had my first X52 for 6 years and it's working fine without the throttle detent and its new spring. As I said, the driver issues can be sorted with 3rd party software.

The cheap pots in the HOTAS X will wear out eventually. A lot of people have reported that issue. It's normally the yaw one that goes first, and replacement is very difficult. That's the same with the T-1600.

ED is a game that's very hard on flightsticks. When you've been playing 7000 hours, you'll see all the weak points.

I think the answer lies in the question..."cheap stick"
Youll get what you pay for. A crap stick that will fail eventually.
Now the Russian sticks are the best no doubt but are priced accordingly.
So l opted for a reconditioned off ebay rewired saitek X56.
You can buy the new logitech ones for 200 or 300 pounds, I paid just 110 for my old one which was supplied with 2 spare sticks (not the bases) and assorted springs bits n bobs.
Since then I've had zero problems apart from ghosting which l fixed by putting the power hungry throttle on its own powered USB hub.
The X56 is perfect for elite. Only gripe is you need a big hand to reach some buttons in given situations but you bind accordingly. Sorted.
Saitek X56 or its newer logitech version is a good choice.

o7

I'm going to chime-in with my obligatory pitch for CH Products Fighterstick and Throttle. Not cheap, old tech, industrial standard components (they make industrial controllers), built like a brick outhouse but perfect size for desktop use, will outlast even StarThingie development timescales. ;)

What i ideally want is something like the Thrustmaster Hotas X with higher quality build and ideally easy thruster controls on the back of the throttle....

I bought a VKB Gunfhgter MK2, used it for less than 200 hours and its completely dead. I have never even moved it to its full extension on the various axis, ive never dropped or banged it, ive never spilled anything on it and yet it didn't even last 200 hours.

Im not saying that the Gunfighter II from VKB is junk, but my experience for $450 bucks is NOT good.

Hoping I can get a refund since im still under warranty.

All these cheap sticks have their own problems that will show up in time. It's not how long you have the stick, but how much you use it. I've had my first X52 for 6 years and it's working fine without the throttle detent and its new spring. As I said, the driver issues can be sorted with 3rd party software.

The cheap pots in the HOTAS X will wear out eventually. A lot of people have reported that issue. It's normally the yaw one that goes first, and replacement is very difficult. That's the same with the T-1600.

ED is a game that's very hard on flightsticks. When you've been playing 7000 hours, you'll see all the weak points.
See my post above, just because something is expensive doesnt mean its good.

Top Bottom