Found my first Ammonia planet!

I'm halfway from Colonia to Sagittarius A* and I discovered an ammonia world with an incredible ring system:

20171216111442_1.jpg

20171216111826_1.jpg

I don't think I'll ever get bored with the sights this game has to offer :)

I;m 70 jumps out from Sag-A now, just had a wonderful live stream, volcanoes featured at the start, much discussion of philosophy, elite, sci fi, doctor who, conspiracies. I love this community.

Of course an individual CMDR's mileage may vary, depending on exploration style and ability to spot those not-so-obvious AW.

Definite factor. Everyone new to exploring hear about looking for ELW & WW. AW not so much. And then "what does it look like? That look to me same as a metal planet, I'm not scanning every brown colour planet just in case it's a bloody AW!".

Well, EDDB thinks it's around 38:44 (AW:ELW).

Of course an individual CMDR's mileage may vary, depending on exploration style and ability to spot those not-so-obvious AW.

Wow, interesting. I really thought AWs are much more common. I am certain I found many more AWs than ELWs but eddb statistics is usually correct.

Thanks for the info.

Definite factor. Everyone new to exploring hear about looking for ELW & WW. AW not so much. And then "what does it look like? That look to me same as a metal planet, I'm not scanning every brown colour planet just in case it's a bloody AW!".
AW is the only planet type that shares the dashboard hologram with ELW.

AW looks very distinctive, unmistakable on the system map - with the rare exception of thick cloud layer, then it can be a bit more difficult to judge.

There's a few metal worlds \m/ which look similar to ammonia worlds in the system map, in the same way that there's a few metal worlds which look similar to earth-likes. I've been hunting an ammonia planet for AGES!

Next mission: be first to discover a black hole. But I'm close to the centre of the galaxy so hoping there might be a few about.

Black holes tend to occur in large "clusters" alongside neutron stars about 1000 LY above and below the central plane of the galaxy. Go Up or Down and you should find plenty of them.

Ammonia worlds are, in my experience, not as common as Water Worlds, but they are more common than Earth-likes. Any perceived imbalance in favour of ELWs on player-submitted-data sites like EDSM is probably reflected by the fact that many hardcore ELW hunters only scan ELWs and don't even bother scanning any AWs or WWs they find.

For me, spotting AWs is as "easy" as spotting ELWs.

- On the System map, AWs are usually a mixture of white clouds with a brown-and-red mottled surface. They can look superficially similar to the white-and-brown HMCs. It helps that I have an old, slow, low-grade computer that shows planets as blurry coloured blobs when you first load up the map, and the AW has a very distinctive brown-red-white-striped blob.
- They always occur outside of the Goldilocks Zone, in areas of the system that are too cold for waterworlds. Even the AWs that have room-temperature surface conditions cannot form in the ELW Goldilocks Zone.
- They have a distinctive sound when zoomed in on the system map, it's a very quiet, subtle sound, lacking the heavy-metal distorted guitar you get on a HMC.
- Finally, the icon shown in the lower left quadrant. It is the same one used for Earthlikes, with oceans and islands. It has a prominent, clearly delineated small "island" at about the 2 o'clock position that the HMCs and Rocky-Ice worlds with similar-looking icons do not have.

AW looks very distinctive, unmistakable on the system map - with the rare exception of thick cloud layer, then it can be a bit more difficult to judge.

When it looks like this, sure:
AW1.jpg

But at least from my experience, they much more often look like this:
AW2.jpg

- They have a distinctive sound when zoomed in on the system map, it's a very quiet, subtle sound, lacking the heavy-metal distorted guitar you get on a HMC.

Is this a real thing? (I've been listening to Escape Velocity the whole way to Sag-A so haven't listened to the system map)

Wow volcanoes are hard to find! And I think ammonia worlds are more rare than ELW imo
I think you may well be right.
I'm currently surveying a D mass sub sector of stars near the core and after 397 stars searched I found 11 ELW's and 7 Ammonia Worlds.

It is indeed, as outlined in this old thread; back then, this was the most efficient and reliable way to ID an ELW 300,000 Ls away from the arrival point, since ELWs and WWs shared the same icon back then.

Edit: Ninjas. Ninjas everywhere. [where is it]

As far as I'm aware, when expeditions did area surveys, they found ammonia worlds more common than Earth-like worlds. Yet on EDDB, they are less numerous. However, there are some things to consider: as mentioned before, people tend to go for the blue planets (WW/ELW) instead, ammonia worlds with thick atmospheres can be difficult to spot on the system map (as illustrated by KTC in this earlier post here), and if people are doing a subsector survey, they are often doing it in mass code D systems. After all, ELWs tend to be the most frequent there. However, ammonia worlds don't: they appear to be at least roughly the same in C and D. Which makes sense, seeing as how they generally require less heat than the water-based planets do.

Anyway, to the OP: congrats on your first ammonia world (love the rings), and may you find many more!

Back
Top Bottom