Free-roaming Animals?

Just a vague thought, but how would people feel about being able to have free roaming animals within a zoo? Out of the current roster, Peacocks being the obvious ones where they are often free roaming and allowed to mingle with guests wherever they decide to wander.

I've also seen red-necked wallaby free roaming, plus of course if they ever introduced ducks/geese/swans/guinea fowl etc?

I mean, I'd love it. But I also want them to potentially peck bad guests. The Oregon had free roaming peacock for decades, until some parents encouraged their toddler to chase one into a corner, and he got pecked and scratched. So they had to get rid of them to avoid the threatened lawsuit. So I want to be able to imagine people like that being pecked out of the zoo by peacocks. Plus, if that had been me, my mom would have laughed and told me that why you respect anything with a beak or talons.
That aside, the Oregon Zoo borders forest park, which is a 5200 acre, 30 mile long city park. For years, people would see glimpses of them, or hear them. Been a few years since I've met anyone who has heard or seen one recently, but some of the homeless who were, until recently, camping deep in Forest park, say there are still some in there.

All the zoos I have visited in the last year have free Roaming peacocks. At Nuremberg Zoo they had free roaming marmots a few years ago but I am not sure if this is still the case.

We have maras, prairie dogs and peafowls roaming freely in our local zoo. I am especially fond of maras - they are so cute ☺️

Top Bottom