Fuel Rat suggestion

Good day, Commanders.

Apologies for making a new thread but the main thread is growing with such speed that it is hard to keep on top of posts. I'd like to make a suggestion and at the risk of sounding like an I would like for all the Rats to see it.

The new IRC aspect of the Fuel Rats is great but a thought has occurred to me. It is sadly inevitable that at some point someone will try and use the Rats to gank someone in some way; whether that be by pretending to help or pretending to need help.

Not having to register to use the chat is extremely important in my humble opinion but would it be possible to have optional registration or reserved nicknames?

I have to have my name displayed as Beornfrith because of the character set restriction it has in place but there is nothing to stop someone else using that nickname and thus pretending to be me. If someone knows that Beornfrith is a trusted name then why shouldn't they trust an impostor?

I'm therefore suggesting that, if it is possible, rats use a handle along the lines of FR Beornfrith, FR Anuranium, FR The Great And Mighty Surly Badger and somehow have it 'locked' to the actual rat.

I'm not sure if it would be possible but the FR prefix would help rats and pilots identify who is in the chat to help and who is in to browse or ask for help, while a reserved nickname means that "If I know I can trust Beornfrith and I can see his name, I know I am safe"*

*barring any accidental collisions or discharging of firearms.

Nice idea actually. I'm sure sooner or later a griefer will set a honey trap and gank the rat on arrival but I must admit I hadn't thought about impersonation. Of course, once you come to send the friend request in game the impersonation ruse will fail. The whole idea of not giving your exact location in IRC chat (which seems to have fallen by the wayside a bit) is to protect people's exact details until they're talking in-game. I do like the idea of the FR prefix, knowing who's a rat and who isn't would really help.

The GG in my gaming name refers back to a Wing Commander IRC channel I used way back when... It stands for Grey Ghost which showed a Wing Commander player over the age of 30 :)

Boy am I showing my age....

You can register your nickname in the IRC channel like so:

1) Make sure you're using the nickname you would like to register.
2) Type: /msg nickserv register YOURPASSWORD YOUREMAIL
(Example: /msg nickserv register chattingiscool julie@montreal.com)
3) That's it! Use: /msg nickserv help register for more information.

Or similar for the particular IRC chat host you are using. I would suggest people do this in the chanenl as soon as

(the mIRC command is: /nick nickname_you_want. /msg nickserv identify yourpassword. )

Last edited:
The IRC network that #fuelrats uses actually has NickServ, which allows the protection of nicknames.

https://www.esper.net/nickserv.php
http://wiki.foonetic.net/wiki/Nickserv_Commands
http://www.geekshed.net/commands/nickserv/

Basically, while connected with your desired username, you can type:
/ns register yourpassword youremail

You will then receive an e-mail [check your spam folder!] with a special code to give to nickserv. The instructions will be clear.

After doing that, your username will now be registered to that password and e-mail, giving you cool features like the ghost or kill/enforce command.

When you log in, you will have to type /ns identify yourpassword to confirm that it is you, and not a dirty pirate!

Kill and Enforce are identical, Mibbit [where #fuelrats is] uses Kill.
/ns kill set on

Kill is protection for your username, if someone logs in with it and can't identify for NickServ in 30 seconds, it will forcibly change their nickname.

Ghost is a bit unnecessary, if you have Kill activated.
/ns ghost yournick yourpassword

Anybody using your nickname will then be kicked [or have it forcibly changed, I can't remember which].

So, if you're worried about pirates trying to impersonate you, register your nickname! (these kinds of features are really useful for IRCs anyway, we all love owning our own nickname)

xox

The GG in my gaming name refers back to a Wing Commander IRC channel I used way back when... It stands for Grey Ghost which showed a Wing Commander player over the age of 30 :)

Boy am I showing my age....

You can register your nickname in the IRC channel like so:

1) Make sure you're using the nickname you would like to register.
2) Type: /msg nickserv register YOURPASSWORD YOUREMAIL
(Example: /msg nickserv register chattingiscool julie@montreal.com)
3) That's it! Use: /msg nickserv help register for more information.

Or similar for the particular IRC chat host you are using. I would suggest people do this in the chanenl as soon as

(the mIRC command is: /nick nickname_you_want. /msg nickserv identify yourpassword. )

I was going to try this but the thing that stopped me was the thought that if I mis-typed it (e.g. missed off the leading '/') I would accidentally broadcast my email address and password to anyone who cared to read it!

USE WITH CAUTION would be my advice

I was going to try this but the thing that stopped me was the thought that if I mis-typed it (e.g. missed off the leading '/') I would accidentally broadcast my email address and password to anyone who cared to read it!

USE WITH CAUTION would be my advice

If you use an IRC client you can do this out of the channel - or just make damn sure you get it right ;) Plus it's only the channel password which you can immediately change if you mess it up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom