Fuel Scooping: Tell us about your method

In my AspX I do a quick tangential pass.

In my Hauler I enjoy a manual orbit

In my Dolphin I just park it next to the star and go AFK for how long I want.

In my Type-7 I burn candles, incense, make a few sacrifices and pray to a number of deities before jumping to a scoopable star.

In any case, I only use my pitch axis and generally with the top of my ship towards the star, as it gives me the best visuals. I even approach planets "upside down", for that matter.

Last edited:
This and I'd add that in most cases I power in until max scooping rate is achieved then throttle back.
Yeah, I'm rarely scooping more than a jump's worth anyway and can get that whilst aligning for my next jump, but if I'm out in the black and filling the tank up between neutrons or after a load of brown dwarfs or something, I park up in the corona at maximum scoop rate and just top up my tan.

Full speed

Star to the left or right

Line up the mouse dot just outside the exclusion zone boundary line

Pitch up or down to minimize line up time to next target

Rotate ship bottom to the star

Pitch up to align to next jump

When the star shifts from red to orange on the scope jump out

When traveling out in the deep it should average about 50 - 55 secs. per jump depending on ship/loadout.

DBX would be perfect with one size larger scoop, but for now nothing beats a properly outfitted Dolphin, often able to get under 50 secs jump to jump.
Plus it's impossible to overheat.

YMMV

Always with the star above, aligning with the next target, never thought of the Deathstar, spot on, not going to get that out of my mind anytime soon LoL, of course you might well need to do a full orbit in a DBX, puny FS.

Adding a Tritium element to the Fuel Scoop if a refinery is present would be a Huge QoL improvment.🤣🤣🤣

I use an eye tracker and I find sideways scooping gives me the most flexibility.

I can watch the star disappear behind me as I leave the scoop zone and prepare for a jump. As soon as the ship temp. drops below 65deg. I start my jump.

Last edited:
I have a fourth way, set a vector so you won’t fly into the star, get close enough you are scooping at max rate, zero throttle, open system map and see if you want to explore anything, or do a full system scan, close system map and fly away from star.
That is the same method I use, works well for me too!

Not OPs question, but hotfuelling was really fun when i did the 10t of corrosive thargoid from bubble to Colonia with no CRCRs.

The trick was to refuel to full as few times as possible because <reasons>... but when your tank was low, hot refuel to max... by going in as close as possible and pop a heatsink while charging the FSD.

I have a fourth way, set a vector so you won’t fly into the star, get close enough you are scooping at max rate, zero throttle, open system map and see if you want to explore anything, or do a full system scan, close system map and fly away from star.
This has been my method for a long time, until I realised that I hate when a number of bodies are hidden behind the star and I have to interrupt the scan, move and resume, so now in an exploration trip I scoop and then move away to perform the scan (possibly perpendicular to the main planetary plane, if I can figure it).

Star on the left, get to a decent rate of scooping(dependant on scoop) and idle at 30km/s this keeps the fuel guage visible.
If the star was underneath it would be obscured by my ship, right and it obscured the fuel guage, above and it obscured the scanner.

Last edited:
How you scoop is less important than your fuel scoop rate, in my view. Go big or go home, and avoid the Beluga/DBX unless you plan on checking system maps or doing other activities while scooping most of your journey.

Top Bottom