Game graphics keep crashing

I have seen this problem discussed in several threads, suddenly the graphics freeze although the game keeps running in the background (you can her the sounds, at least until it throws an error and crashes, "A file has failed to load after multiple attempts as Direct3D cannot lock a buffer."). From what I have read, it's a problem with the graphics card not meeting the minimum requirements. This is rather annoying since I'm on an Intel NUC Skull Canyon which has all the necessary specs and the GPU, although not a gamer GPU, can still play most of my games to my satisfaction. ED runs smoothly, at least until it doesn't, sometimes hours, sometimes minutes. Reducing the GFX settings obviously helps a bit but after I upgrades from an Asp Explorer to a Type 7 transporter, the game has become unplayable, crashing at login even at very low GFX settings.
The solution would be to upgrade my graphics card but that is not possible on the NUC. In BIOS I can set the minimum assigned memory but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
The only other solution I have found is to use an external graphics card but that would cost as much as just buying a new PC.
Anyone got any experience with ED on Skull Canyon?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you are right, the only real way for you to play the game properly would be to upgrade your graphics.

Essentially anything running Intel graphics is too underpowered to play Horizons and will keep throwing the error you describe.

Depending on where you are however you might have access to GeForce Now which supports Elite Dangerous. That would, at least, negate the need for a new GPU.

Unfortunately, you are right, the only real way for you to play the game properly would be to upgrade your graphics.

Essentially anything running Intel graphics is too underpowered to play Horizons and will keep throwing the error you describe.

Depending on where you are however you might have access to GeForce Now which supports Elite Dangerous. That would, at least, negate the need for a new GPU.
Thanks Micky,
I signed up for the GeForceNow Beta, luckily it's available in Europe. It might be months to get access but it's nice to know there might be a way for the NUC to actually play games.
Too bad there isn't a Beep mode to revert to the original vector graphics from Elite.

The only other solution I have found is to use an external graphics card but that would cost as much as just buying a new PC.

not necessarily, they have an external solution called the EXP GDC beast that's around $50. the only downside is that you wont be able to run a modern Nvidia GPU (such as a 10XX series and above, as they seemed to have issues with the driver with the EXP GDC beast), while older Nvidia cards and AMD cards seem to work just fine. i do believe your NUC would use the m.2 connection to the external dock. you would have to buy a graphics card and a power supply (you can use one of those 200w dell laptop like external power bricks).

Is your graphics card overclocked?
If so try scaling it back a bit.
Some people have said this fixes the issue.

Well it is the MSI OC model and I do have OC enabled (and why wouldn't I ?), but it was never a problem in the past for any of my games. A game update shouldn't require me to dumb down any of my factory spec hardware.

Thx for the info though, I will very reluctantly give it a shot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom