Gemsbok and Springbok

The ranges of the gemsbok and springbok heavily overlap, with both being native to the dry grasslands of Namibia, western South Africa, and parts of Botswana. Despite this, and despite the springbok having compatibility with several animals that it doesn't have any overlap with (like the reticulated giraffe and Thomson's gazelle), the Gemsbok and Springbok do not have compatibility with each other. In addition, rather than being a full-on desert animal, the gemsbok, as a grazer, tends towards drier grasslands that would fit under ZT2's "scrub" biome (and indeed, in ZT2 the Gemsbok was a Scrub animal)--Frontier doesn't have this, but the scrub is in effect a synthesis of grassland and desert. I would suggest the following:

1. Give the gemsbok compatibility with the springbok as well as all the animals the springbok is already compatible with.
2. Make the gemsbok compatible with African grassland foliage.
3. To make mixed habitats involving the gemsbok easier, modestly decrease its sand requirements and slightly increase its foliage tolerance.

I just recently built a habitat called "The Kalahari Desert", which featured Gemsbok and Springbok. It worked for me pretty well. The welfare of the animals weren't at 100%, but they were in the 90s. The foliage is a little tricky to get suitable for both animals but, like with the overall welfare, I just tried to get them as high as possible. While they don't receive an enrichment bonus, they can share some enrichment items, which is nice in some situations.

Oh, I'm sure you can have a springbok/gemsbok mixed exhibit (it helps since the springbok has desert compatibility); I just think the gemsbok in turn should also have grassland compatibility as well as the species compatibility I mentioned in my OP.

I will also suggest increasing the sand tolerance for the springbok and reduce its grass requirements to allow for a more desert based habitat, since both them and gemsbok do also inhabit the more barren parts of the Namib desert.
(And also common ostriches)

The ranges of the gemsbok and springbok heavily overlap, with both being native to the dry grasslands of Namibia, western South Africa, and parts of Botswana. Despite this, and despite the springbok having compatibility with several animals that it doesn't have any overlap with (like the reticulated giraffe and Thomson's gazelle), the Gemsbok and Springbok do not have compatibility with each other. In addition, rather than being a full-on desert animal, the gemsbok, as a grazer, tends towards drier grasslands that would fit under ZT2's "scrub" biome (and indeed, in ZT2 the Gemsbok was a Scrub animal)--Frontier doesn't have this, but the scrub is in effect a synthesis of grassland and desert. I would suggest the following:

1. Give the gemsbok compatibility with the springbok as well as all the animals the springbok is already compatible with.
2. Make the gemsbok compatible with African grassland foliage.
3. To make mixed habitats involving the gemsbok easier, modestly decrease its sand requirements and slightly increase its foliage tolerance.
I agree! The Namib desert is now really well represented, but not being able to put the Springbok and Gemsbok together really hinders it.

@Bearcat9948 this might be a good idea for the next easy changes list.

Boosting this! Please Frontier add interspecies enrichment or even just compatiblity (100% welfare possible for each species) for the gemsbok.

After consulting the AZAs mixed ungulate manual, it turns out gemsbok have been successfully housed with almost every African hofstock species in game. But to make the game for interesting and to follow the somwhat consistent trend of animal sharing interspecies enrichement with animals found only in their home range so here's my list of wanted additions.

1. African Buffalo
2. Black Wildebeest
3. Blue Wildebeest
4. Common Ostrich
5. Southern White Rhinoceros
6. Springbok

As already mentioned, in order for this to work the gemsbok would need the grasslands tag, but if the dama gazelle and scimitar-horned oryx have it, why not!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom