Generation Ships

In the original Elite game manual, it talked about deep-space Generation ships.

These pre-hyperdrive ships were massive, probably hundreds of years old, and crewed by people who would have been born in the ship from the previous generation.

We were warned to stay away from these ships, as they were heavily guarded, and the penalty for approaching them was death.

They never actually made it into the game, however... but I always wanted to find one.

Edit:
While I'm on the subject, here are a couple of other ships from the original manual that I'd like in the game:

"Rock Hermits

Pirates, aging bounty hunters, or planetary outcasts, who create living space out of asteroids. They usually choose large asteroids, and set up signal beacons to warn off miners. GalCop Law protects Rock Hermits, but since most of the asteroid is hollowed-out, there is little advantage to be gained by "mining" them anyway.

Generation Ships

Before the development of the WS Thru-Space drive, in all its various forms, interstellar travel occurred in large, self-sustaining environment ships - Generation Ships - most of which have now been logged and their progress monitored. There are more than seventy thousand of these immense vessels ploughing their way through the galaxy, some of them into their 30th generation. The penalty for interference with such a vessel is marooning.

Space Dredgers:

These immense factory ships are to be found wherever there has been a war, or a Thargoid invasion, or a natural catastrophe. More than forty miles long, the dredgers are a life-form to themselves. The Dredgers are huge cities in space, feeding off debris and ruination. Heavily armed, and with fleets of reconditioned fighter ships, they are to be avoided at all cost."

Last edited:
Top Bottom