Go home radar, you are drunk!

It's basically 2 orders of magnitude difference, so it fits perfectly; 71, 79 and 7214.
The two closer bodies are roughly two lines closer.

The most likely answer is you are mistaken.

It's basically 2 orders of magnitude difference, so it fits perfectly; 71, 79 and 7214.
The two closer bodies are roughly two lines closer.

The most likely answer is you are mistaken.

wow ... all right. 2 stars. which one is closer? bottom or top?

548155846491224ab.png

Last edited:
You have two different pictures, and this isn't a test for me, lol.
I KNOW how the scanner works, and I am HELPING you.

LOL

just to clarify: i don't need help. i was simply pointing out that the scanner is not helpful the way it works. and you are absolutely not helping, not me and specially not the game to get better.

it's the same situation as before. i'm not gonna travel back 900 Lys because it's more convenient for you to say i'm mistaken. according to your knowledge of the scanner and the way you tried to convince me how it works in this image the top star should be closer. i don't know how much more evidence i have to show to prove that the scanner is not behaving in a helpful way. but i'm done here.

I think the issue is that you get no scaling rings in the vertical plane (combined with the logarithmic scale in which small distances on the scanner can be huge space distances), making it difficult to compare the distance to the two objects. But I'm not sure how else you could effectively show the relative distance to two (or more) objects, one very close and one very far away.

just to clarify: i don't need help. i was simply pointing out that the scanner is not helpful the way it works. and you are absolutely not helping, not me and specially not the game to get better.

it's the same situation as before. i'm not gonna travel back 900 Lys because it's more convenient for you to say i'm mistaken. according to your knowledge of the scanner and the way you tried to convince me how it works in this image the top star should be closer. i don't know how much more evidence i have to show to prove that the scanner is not behaving in a helpful way. but i'm done here.

You might not be looking for help, but that's what I am doing and you are confused about how the scanner works.
Just watch the animations I posted.
It's actually very straightforward.

Watch how the vertical marker lines move on the horizontal scanner circles as you roll your ship. When a body/object is on the horizontal plane of the scanner the 'true' distance will be shown; does that make sense?
When a body/object is above or below your ship it can be tough to determine any sort of scale of distance. Might be cool to have some sort of scale marker on the vertical line but that could clutter the scanner view a bit...

What I get a kick out of is: An NPC will spawn at the star 100,000 ly's in front of you and in a half second fly to the one you just left 20,000 ly's ago. Sit there fifteen minutes and then interdict you in a second.

Deleted member 38366

D
Hmm... That Scanner in the Screenshots has one major issue : it is set to minimum Range

During Exploration, I always set mine to maximum Range. That'll give a far more realistic representation of Bodies.
Note though that any nearby Body will affect the actual Scanner scaling, similar to locking up any Ship when in SuperCruise. But that detail is working as intended.
That auto-scaling based on distance to nearest Gravity Well can be easily observed when flying away from a Sun with several Planets orbiting it (at least in Log Scale).

Other than that, the Scanner displays an imaginary sphere, thus even extremely distant Objects will appear as Objects on the edge.
When such distant Objects are sitting directly above or below, that on first sight will look "closer than they appear" by its design.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I get a kick out of is: An NPC will spawn at the star 100,000 ly's in front of you and in a half second fly to the one you just left 20,000 ly's ago. Sit there fifteen minutes and then interdict you in a second.
I think you mean Ls.. lol otherwise that's some really high end FSD that NPC has, gotta get me one of those.

Top Bottom