Horizons Graduated Shading Lines?

What's with these nasty graduated shading areas that I've been noticing since the last patch? Looks like something from the Speccy days.

grad_lines.png

980ti with latest drivers.

Deleted member 38366

D
There's two Options AFAIK :

- make sure your Driver setting for Color (Pixel) Format is the optimum one (Full RGB), otherwise the Video card sends a sub-optimal Pixel Format to the Display
- try enabling 10bit Format, if your Driver and Display support them

In my case, I found having the same issues - and for some wicked reason my R9 290 Driver was setup for a compressed Pixel Format.
Correcting that also corrected most of these Color Banding artifacts which I primarily got anywhere around Suns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the steer, Falcon. I found an RGB setting in the NVIDIA control panel which I changed from limited to full but it doesn't seem to have done anything. BTW, I'm using an Oculus DK2 so I suspect these changes are only applying to the main monitor?

Deleted member 38366

D
Hm, don't know that - I don't use any VR.

I have no idea what Pixel Formats the Oculus can accept. Could be that the Driver maintains a different setting for those, as technically it's another Display.
Might try searching the Driver Panel i.e. when the Oculus is connected and active as the primary Display?

Thanks for the steer, Falcon. I found an RGB setting in the NVIDIA control panel which I changed from limited to full but it doesn't seem to have done anything. BTW, I'm using an Oculus DK2 so I suspect these changes are only applying to the main monitor?
wow! it looks that good on your DK2?

wow! it looks that good on your DK2?

Lol, it looks better in VR. @BigDuke6ixx, something changed with 1.3, the contrast is also a lot higher now. Hopefully it will be sorted with newer Oculus updates, for now I've found lowering ingame gamma helps.

Anyway, i don't think it is ED itself, I have a feeling changes were made for the CV1, has slightly degraded things for DK2 users.

I have this issue too and would love some advice.

In my case, I see it on my display which is a vizio m43-c1 uhd panel. I'm using the HDMI 5 input (only one that's 4k 60hz capable) and when I set refresh rate to 60 hz, I find that in nvidia control panel color depth is set to 'limited' and is greyed out. I understand that the panel can't do 4:4:4 sub sampling and in fact seems to be limited to 4:4:0 at 4k 60hz, but why this would cause color banding or why color depth would be locked to 'limited' doesn't make sense to me. I expect mildly blurry text from the chroma subsampling, which I see but it's not bad compared to how it looks at 30 hz 4:4:4. I can't see that using 8 vs 10 bit color in nvidia control panel changes anything in-game.

GPU is a 980ti and running HDMI to the display. Card is spec'd as HDMI 2.0 capable.

The banding is very apparent especially when the ED logo fades in at launch.

Any tips/info appreciated.

Looks like this is still a problem then, if it's over HDMI: http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-cards-dont-full-rgb-color-through-hdmiheres-a-fix/
Maybe you can use the registry keys in this patch AndyinMission? http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=83

I tried it but from what I've read other places that issue was fixed in driver updates that have occurred since the original problem with not being able to set full range originally existed. Color banding still there. I notice the there is a also what looks like compression artifacts, areas with sparkling squares like how it looks when streaming video at low bit rates.

Here are some screen shots where color/intensity gradient banding is apparent. What's odd is areas of high detail look fantastic as one would expect at 4k. Give the link a min or two to sync/upload.

Edit, these are bmp screen shot so I supposed if it's saving the actual raw bit values as they're being sent to the display, the banding wont' show up if your display if it's actually displaying full range. Not sure about that. Did them using the ED F10 screenshot function.

Last edited:
There's two Options AFAIK :

- make sure your Driver setting for Color (Pixel) Format is the optimum one (Full RGB), otherwise the Video card sends a sub-optimal Pixel Format to the Display
- try enabling 10bit Format, if your Driver and Display support them

In my case, I found having the same issues - and for some wicked reason my R9 290 Driver was setup for a compressed Pixel Format.
Correcting that also corrected most of these Color Banding artifacts which I primarily got anywhere around Suns.

Thanks for that - must try that out

Hmmm... Interesting..... Reading thought this thread I decided to investigate my hdmi setup, and indeed found my Nvidia colours were set to 16-235.....So reset them to 0-255, will wait until eveningtime to see if I can notice any difference.

Based on this write-up, it seems that most displays meant for use with television (or DVD/bluray) sources are typically only able to display 'limited' color in RGB space.

http://referencehometheater.com/2014/commentary/rgb-full-vs-limited/

So what I'm seeing in NVIDIA control panel with color output locked to limited could make some sense. But I thought full vs limited color was a feature of RGB, I'm only able to run ycbcr 4:2:0 as output to the UHD TV, not able to select RBG when running 60hz.

My old Panasonic ST-30 had a setting for HDMI 'full' or 'limited', there don't seem to be such things in the vizio menu. I can chose RGB, ycbcr or auto, but regardless which I choose NVIDIA control panel only allows ycbcr 4:2:0 limited. I put in support tickets with Vizio, MSI and NVIDIA asking about this. I suspect they'll all blame each other's equipment but worth a shot I guess. Pretty sure it's not a limitation of the 980 ti, it is clearly spec'd to support hdmi 2.0 which shouldn't be a limiting factor for displaying video at 4k 60hz.

Top Bottom