Guide / Tutorial Guide to Engineers in Colonia

Agreed. I've been saying this for a while now. There are plenty of ways to make it fully lore friendly and still challenging to achieve without simply demanding that anyone unfortunate enough to explore needs to travel a 44000ly round trip for one unlock. Most folks won't do it, or will intend to, but never go for it. Then when they run into higher level combat rankings that really demand engineering to raise yourself through, will just slowly lose interest and quit.

Ian, what is the current population in Colonia (including resident CDR's)?
NPC population, official figures are 9,104,100

Commander population, very hard to tell. I'd be reasonably confident it's somewhere between 500 and 3000, counting explorers currently passing through and long-inactive commanders who happened to last do something while out here.

NPC population, official figures are 9,104,100

Commander population, very hard to tell. I'd be reasonably confident it's somewhere between 500 and 3000, counting explorers currently passing through and long-inactive commanders who happened to last do something while out here.
Thank you. I'm still parked at the Junkyard.

TL;DR : Why have the Colonia Engineers linked to the Bubble Engineers?

Yayy!

Eh... say what?

I'm dreadfully sorry, but WHY in Colonia do the Colonia Engineers need introductions from Bubble Engineers?!

It would have made much more sense (as well as given those of us who have not been in the Bubble since Engineers were released) if the Colonia Engineers had a completely separate introduction/unlock path from the Bubble Engineers.

A good example would have been getting introduced to one of them by Jacques; you know, that guy that's been here since the beginning and pretty much knows everything that's going down in and around Colonia? Then once you get friendly with the first one they introduce you to the next one and so on. (Just like Bubble Engineers).

Or possibly you get a rumour to go somewhere for a special mission (maybe have some trigger which indicates the player has spent some time in Colonia), and when you go and accept it it turns out to be a special delivery to an Engineer's base and the mission is effectively the (hidden) introduction.

Millions of ways of doing it.

But linking the Colonia Engineers back to the Bubble Engineers is a bit pants.

That's normal. And having the Community "upgrade" the Colonia Engineers over time is a nice Colonia-only twist.
Likewise, I’ve been out in colonia since before they had engineers. I’m lvl 3 with martuuk and I’m annoyed that if I want to use Brandon to boost my fsd range I’ve got to fly all the way back to the bubble, do a few more mods to get the info on Brandon, then fly all the way back to colonia?

thats annoying....

K.

Likewise, I’ve been out in colonia since before they had engineers. I’m lvl 3 with martuuk and I’m annoyed that if I want to use Brandon to boost my fsd range I’ve got to fly all the way back to the bubble, do a few more mods to get the info on Brandon, then fly all the way back to colonia?

thats annoying....

K.
Well I guess that answers the questions I came here with. When I Started the game a few months ago, it was with the intention of going to Colonia straight away. As soon as I had a ship that could make the journey (DBX), I went. I didn't bother with the engineers in the Bubble, I didn't even really understand how engineering worked.

Now I'm out in the Colonia, after months of gathering exploration data enroute, took up mining as planned, and I began to think my Python mining ship could use an FSD upgrade. A quick search says Mel Brandon is the guy to see, but I haven't "discovered" him yet. Now it looks like I jumped too soon, heading out here. I do have an as yet unused invite from Baltanos. But from everything I'm reading I still need to go -back- to the Bubble to unlock him? Am I reading this right?

If that's what it takes to get an FSD upgrade in Colonia, I'll just skip it.

Well I guess that answers the questions I came here with. When I Started the game a few months ago, it was with the intention of going to Colonia straight away. As soon as I had a ship that could make the journey (DBX), I went. I didn't bother with the engineers in the Bubble, I didn't even really understand how engineering worked.

Now I'm out in the Colonia, after months of gathering exploration data enroute, took up mining as planned, and I began to think my Python mining ship could use an FSD upgrade. A quick search says Mel Brandon is the guy to see, but I haven't "discovered" him yet. Now it looks like I jumped too soon, heading out here. I do have an as yet unused invite from Baltanos. But from everything I'm reading I still need to go -back- to the Bubble to unlock him? Am I reading this right?

If that's what it takes to get an FSD upgrade in Colonia, I'll just skip it.
The Horizons engineers - Mel Brandon, Etienne Dorn, Petra Olmanova and Marsha Hicks - all require a referral from one of the early bubble engineers. So you'd need to take a trip back at some point to unlock those, for any ship module upgrades.

The Odyssey engineers - Baltanos, Eleanor Bresa, Rosa Dayette and Yi Shen - can all be unlocked in full without leaving the Colonia region or interacting with any bubble engineers. So suit and weapon upgrades you can still get.

The Horizons engineers - Mel Brandon, Etienne Dorn, Petra Olmanova and Marsha Hicks - all require a referral from one of the early bubble engineers. So you'd need to take a trip back at some point to unlock those, for any ship module upgrades.

The Odyssey engineers - Baltanos, Eleanor Bresa, Rosa Dayette and Yi Shen - can all be unlocked in full without leaving the Colonia region or interacting with any bubble engineers. So suit and weapon upgrades you can still get.
Well, lets hope that changes in the future. I'm not really into the Odyssey, FPS gameplay so much as I was just wanting to get out and explore on foot more, and hoping ship interiors would become a thing (Fingers crossed). I have seen that it's possible to make the journey in a few hours, but to then go through the grind of one engineer after another just to get an FSD seems like a bit much. I can live without it. But thanks for the deets anyway.

To gain access to Yi Shen I need 'endorsements' from Baltanos, Eleanor Bresa and Rosa Dayette. What are these and how do I obtain them?
Each of those three engineers will have a task for you after you've unlocked them to provide them with some materials. Do that for all three and you'll get access to Yi Shen.

Top Bottom