Halloween-Themed Update Ideas

Sort of like how we got some non-denominational Christmasesque stuff when the Arctic Pack and update dropped, I'd really dig some Halloween decor and enrichment reskins. Just like how we got the Gift Box and Snowman Skittle, some Halloween enrichment reskins would be nice. The obvious one would be a Jack-O-Lantern reskin of the Frozen Blood Pumpkin, and I could see a Pinata reskin with a sheet draped over it like a ghost pinata. Maybe the beach ball reskinned to look like a big eyeball.

In addition, some minor spooky decor would be nice. Just a few ideas:
  • More dead trees (maybe with spooky faces carved into them)
  • Placeable pumpkins as foliage (with different sizes)
  • A scarecrow
  • Various tombstones
  • A gargoyle statue to put on top of our buildings
  • Reskins of the South American butterfly lights but as ghosts or bats
  • Jack-O-Lanterns that actually function as lights
  • Cobweb special effects

I'd rather they just gave us more basic items. "Halloween" isn't really a zoo theme. I'd like more dead/broken trees (without faces carved into them) because they're great for making realistic primate enclosures, but none of the rest really seems necessary.

If we get an October update, I think I'd prefer for it to focus on the fact that it's autumn (so maybe like falling leaves as a special effect, some ground covering (leaves, mulch), that sort of thing (and as I said, broken/leafless trees).

I'd rather they just gave us more basic items. "Halloween" isn't really a zoo theme. I'd like more dead/broken trees (without faces carved into them) because they're great for making realistic primate enclosures, but none of the rest really seems necessary.

If we get an October update, I think I'd prefer for it to focus on the fact that it's autumn (so maybe like falling leaves as a special effect, some ground covering (leaves, mulch), that sort of thing (and as I said, broken/leafless trees).
You definitely have a point, though a lot of zoos tend to decorate for Halloween (I know my local zoo has a Halloween event called Boo at the Zoo). I get your gist, though. I agree that it would make more sense to have just general autumn-themed decor, but I'd still really like pumpkin foliage, scarecrows, and more dead trees. At the very least, Halloween enrichment reskins should be considered.

I'm with @NZFanatic on this one. While the idea of themed content is fun, it kinda just sits in the game for the other 10-11 months of the year with no real purpose...

I'd be more into it if it were loosely themed (e.g., dead trees, maybe some cave elements involving bats or spider webs, a flex color wrought iron gate, maybe a bog/marsh fog effect, slow bubbling water for a swamp) but still could serve a purpose when that time of year/holiday had past.

All that holiday stuff from last year was fun through December but now it just kinda sits there. Haha. I'd much prefer the devs focus on giving us basic items that are common in zoos before more hyper-specific decor...

I wouldn’t mind some Halloween decor. My local zoo also has a zoo goes boo during Halloween. I know like mentioned above the decor does just sit there for a long period of time but come Halloween and Xmas you get in the mood to use it again. Planco did the spooky pack which I only used during Halloween but it was still a awesome addition. Plus the fact that so many zoos actually decorate the zoo during holidays nowadays gives the game a nice realistic touch imo.

I wouldn’t mind some Halloween decor. My local zoo also has a zoo goes boo during Halloween. I know like mentioned above the decor does just sit there for a long period of time but come Halloween and Xmas you get in the mood to use it again. Planco did the spooky pack which I only used during Halloween but it was still a awesome addition. Plus the fact that so many zoos actually decorate the zoo during holidays nowadays gives the game a nice realistic touch imo.

Sure, but at the expense of something else?

You definitely have a point, though a lot of zoos tend to decorate for Halloween (I know my local zoo has a Halloween event called Boo at the Zoo). I get your gist, though. I agree that it would make more sense to have just general autumn-themed decor, but I'd still really like pumpkin foliage, scarecrows, and more dead trees. At the very least, Halloween enrichment reskins should be considered.

I think we're bound to get some Halloween-themed scenery as this is simply what Frontier 'does', but I really hope they take their cues from the Arctic Pack and not go overboard with it. Beyond some of the lighting features, there's really nothing useful in the Christmas set at all, and this was a chief criticism of that pack. The South America Pack on the other hand was a vast improvement; everything in it was pretty versatile and useful in a number of different scenarios.

There really needs to be a balance. We can't expect new content to keep flowing in forever more, after all, so everything they give us is something else that we won't get, so when they give us something 'niche' for the holidays (it's also important to remember that outside of America, Halloween really isn't that big of a deal - it's observed, but not nearly to the same extent as it is in the States) they really ought to keep it limited.

I’d really like more autumnal trees, fallen leaves or piles of leaves and more dead/leafless trees as I want to make a real time seasonal year round zoo and I think autumn would be a good time for this.

But I really hope beyond maybe a carved pumpkin that there won’t be a huge amount of Halloween items that will be useless for the rest of the year. To me this is also very specific to a particular country and isn’t something that is done to the same extent in the rest of the world, even if we do have it a bit as @NZFanatic says.

I wonder if the autumn DLC (if they stick to the time pattern of every three months) would be North American with woodland species tying in with Halloween and thanksgiving. Turkey anyone?

Autumn is something the whole world gets too, hollywood especially the more american only side of the traditions, not so much.
You think winter you can think of animals for it, I cant really think of any autumn animals?
maybe a free update with easter egg items or something but I cant see it as a DLC

Pumpkins for the Herbivores would be great. I think Elephants would enjoy it to play with them like with a Ball and to eat them. Maybe also a Pumpkin that was filled with Hay for smaller Herbivores like Antelopes and Zebras. Also dead Trees (some of them maybe even with Holes for small climbing Animals to sit inside). Spiderwebs could also be great.
I'd be more into it if it were loosely themed (e.g., dead trees, maybe some cave elements involving bats or spider webs, a flex color wrought iron gate, maybe a bog/marsh fog effect, slow bubbling water for a swamp) but still could serve a purpose when that time of year/holiday had past.
I would love this Stuff. Especially if the Bats are a Effect (a Effect with Bats that are hanging from the Ceiling and a second Effect with flying Bat's). At least in Germany some Zoos do have a Cave with Bats where the Guests can walk trough.
You think winter you can think of animals for it, I cant really think of any autumn animals?
When I think about Autumn I think about Turkeys, Capercaillies and Red Deer.
I’d really like more autumnal trees, fallen leaves or piles of leaves and more dead/leafless trees as I want to make a real time seasonal year round zoo and I think autumn would be a good time for this.
Fallen Leaves would be great. I was so excited when I heard that there would be Leaf Bedding in the South America Update but the Leaves look way too tropical for a Temperate Zoo.
Even though it wouldn't be a Autumn Tree, I would really like a green River Bush Willow, because River Bush Willows only get red Leaves during Autumn.
Even though they aren't Plants, I just thought that some Mushrooms could also fit into a Autumn Update.

It's probably unlikely, but I could see the free update work along with a minor DLC like "creepy crawlies" or something. Maybe throw in bats too.

I really wouldn't mind Halloween themed scenery, but not at the expense of a proper DLC. I think balance is important.

I'll be honest because I liked the Halloween (Spooky) pack of Planet Coaster.

But,

I think the Halloween theme is such a common thing and is a easy pick for theming.

I'd rather have them do something completely different that is not stereotype theming, that you'll get with every game.

I'd rather have them save their resources and give us a big, more "in general" one year aniversary update in novembre. With added features, maybe one or two animal reskins (Tapir, Wolf...) and similar things that would expand the game year round and not just for a season. I'm the biggest christmas fan on earth and I don't use the christmas theme of the arctic pack at all.

Top Bottom