Newcomer / Intro hardpoints deployed indication on scanner

I'm a bit confused by this. Here I am in supercruise. It's a busy system, and a number of CMDRs are in the instance.
The instance is what I'm getting at here: The ships which share this instance are all in SC as well, I believe. If so, why is one showing hardpoints deployed?

In-SC weaps deployed - EliteDangerous64 2020-09-18 21-27-47-69.jpg

Note: The display on my scanner showed it as such before I targeted it.

I encountered this in another system. The other CMDR was heading for the same station, so I was following the whole way. He dropped out of SC first. When I dropped and saw his ship on my scanner, the icon then appeared as you'd expect (square).

I probably know the answer...

Thanks for the responses. It's interesting to note because the reason I mentioned my 2nd example in the OP was because the CMDR was piloting a Type-9. That's not exactly the kind of vessel I'd expect to see a FSD interdictor on and he was cruising along the whole time, so I guess he wasn't using his DSS. In fact we were chatting back & forth the whole trip to pass the time (station there is >43,000Ls from drop-in), so I expect he was pretty busy.

I appreciate the replies but I can't help but remain curious. Perhaps it's just, you know, a 🐞

Using any kind of equipment - Discovery scanner, FSD interdictor, etc - will "deploy hardpoints" as far as sensors are concerned, even though the hardpoints don't actually deploy.
I could be wrong (I usually am about these things), but I think a ship turns to triangle when it has an interdictor AND is targeting you.

Top Bottom