Help getting better image with Ocolus DK2

Hello,

I got my DK2 today and trying to set it up with ED.

First problem is that I see yellow and blue when looking at white text, in ED menu I can see little yellow and blue shining around the text.
Also if I run the Ocolus DK2 demo and looking at the paper on the table, one border of the paper I see yellow(right) and on the other blue (left).

Second problem that I have is that I see something like black lines/grid, it is not clear but I see it.
When I open ED and look at the yellow aim corsair, it is not clear like when running normally without Ocolus DK2.
It looks something like 9 pixels/dots.
Tried to get outside station and look at the planets and stars, the stars are not very clear, they are blury.
I expect after all those reviews on the internet that it should look better and not like my results.
Have pictures from in-game but the result of screenshot is not same as what I see using Oculus.

I'm running on single GTX 680 with Nvidia drivers 344.75

I would really appreciate any help

As new user I'm not allowed to post links of screenshots here, so in text:

Nvidia - Manage 3D settings:

Ambient Occlusion: Off
Anisotropic filtering: Application-controlled
FXAA: ON
Gamme correction: ON
Antialiasing Mode: Application-controlled
Transparency: Off
CUDA - All
DSR: Off
Maximum pre-rendered frames: Use the 3D application setting
Single display performance mode
Power: Adaptive
Preferred refresh rate (Ancor...): Application-controlled
Shader Cache: ON
Texture filtering - Ansisotropic: Off
Negative LOD vias: Allow
Texture Quality: Quality
Texture Trinilinear optimization: ON
Threaded optimization: Auto
Triple buffering: ON
Vertical sync: ON
Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: 1

Change resolution settings:

Display Rift DK2: 1920 x 1080, 75HZ

---------------------------------------

Windows Screen Resolution settings:

1 Screen: ASUS PG278Q as main, 2569 x 1440 Landscape
2 Screen: Rift DK2, 1920 x 1080 Portrait

Multiple displays: Extend these displays

---------------------------------------

Rift Display Mode:

Extend Desktop to the HDM

DK1 Legacy: ON

Rift Saver: ON

Sounds like not finding the sweet spot.
Have you setup your IPD? Is it within reasonable bounds? Try adjusting the headset position on your head.

SlackR

Banned
Will upgrading my graphic card to GTX 980 make big improvement or ?

The 980 will perform much better than your current card... But unless you have money to burn, a 970 would be a smarter short term solution. If you can hold off Id wait and see what the new year brings in terms of extra vram.

I'm a total hypocrite though because I just went out and bought two 980s!
Lol
Merry Xmas :)

Hehe :)

Congrats with your new SLI :)

One problem for me is that I dont have any reference for how good rift can be with Elite.
Maybe I'm running what it can do and I'm not satisfied with the image or maybe it can do better.

When in elite, when looking at stars far away, should they be clear/crisp image?
How good can the image be atm?

I'm kinda sorry for you, but I believe that's just how the Oculus DK2 looks like.

You did know it is an early product made for developers. And yes it did improve immensely compared to the first version. Maybe that's why you thought it must look better.

The resolution of the underlying display is too rough for your eyes at that distance. Which results in you noticing every pixel. The consumer version will improve in that regard, but it's unclear by now if you won't notice any pixel at all. A better graphics card won't help you. It only helps if you can't get over 75 frames per second right now, because the oculus dk2 works with 75hz. But still smoother frames per seconds won't increase the visual quality.

regards

Hello,

I got my DK2 today and trying to set it up with ED.

First problem is that I see yellow and blue when looking at white text, in ED menu I can see little yellow and blue shining around the text.
Also if I run the Ocolus DK2 demo and looking at the paper on the table, one border of the paper I see yellow(right) and on the other blue (left).

This is most likely caused by either:

- Incorrect IPD
- The HMD not sitting on your face properly

Second problem that I have is that I see something like black lines/grid, it is not clear but I see it.

This is normal.

- edit, as for the normalcy, I do wish to add, please don't complain about it. This is well-known as the "Screen Door Effect", so if you were not aware of it, then that's on you. It is also a developer kit, so you purchased it at your own risk, and you also checked the box saying that you were a developer and purchasing the equipment at your own risk. Not saying that you're likely to complain (I don't know you), just putting it out there. Preventive measure so to speak.

Last edited:
Expect to drop a bunch of image quality (compared to monitors).
Bask in the glory of being "in the cockpit".

I've just upgraded from 1 x GTX760 to 1 x GTX 970. This allows me to run Oculus Quality to max with some other niceties (whilst maintaining the mandatory 75 fps) and it's worth it.

Even with a host of GTX980's this game will never look as good as it does on a panel.
But, as my wife constantly reminds me, looks aren't everything (thank f)

Hello and thanks all for replying.

I know that it is developer edition and they are working on it.
I now like to play elite with rift and not on my monitor, the experience is still better than on monitor.
However I wanted to be sure that my settings are good and that I'm getting the best out of my rift atm.
For an example, I read a thread where some specific nvidia drivers was giving problems.
Better to ask instead of playing many hours if it could have been better with other settings.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

One last question, how can I see my FPS in elite when running with rift?

I tried CTRL+F and with fraps but I dont see it anywhere on the screen.

How do you do it?

This is most likely caused by either:

- Incorrect IPD
- The HMD not sitting on your face properly

I agree with this assessment , but would also add to double check you eye relief setting in the configuration verses the physical settings and take the time to make sure you get it right in terms of the direction. It also pays to spend some time configuring your IPD several times simply to get used to the tool. Don't forget IPD configuration must be done with eye relief fully extended.

Even with the correct IPD you can still get a blur or halo affect around text if the Rift is not placed correctly on your face. Again this is something you either luck into or over time you'll work out. For the longest time I found if I pushed upwards just a mm or so from below the rift the display would get clearer. Trouble was the way I had the straps meant I could never get the rift to stay in the best position on my face for long. Eventually I reset all the straps and made sure to place the rift in as best a position as I could before tightening them. This appears to have improved overall quality and actually made wearing the Rift more comfortable as the straps used to half sit over the top of my ears.

Honestly at the moment this is the worse aspect of the Rift and why its still in development. It simply doesn't have all the necessary physical options to adjust it to fit everyones face and eyes perfectly. They've gone with a generic setup that works for the majority of people, but it still requires time and effort to get set up correctly. What you are seeing suggests it is not yet correctly set up for yourself, but that it should be improvable. Its a shame because ones natural instinct is to get it set up a s quickly as possible and then jump into some games to get the experience, where as really its best to spend as much time as possible setting it up and messing with the desk demo.

If you find your IPD is at the extreme end of the scale, i.e around 60 or 70 ( from memory I think something like 63.5 is default?) you may find it worth investigating if using lens attachments could help - see here

One thing to be aware of the peripheral of your vision in the Rift will be blurry, that is if you move your eyes to look left or right instead of turning your head things will either look blurred, aliased or lower resolution ( this very much depends on what settings the developers have enabled on the Rift as to which you might see). This is normal, just remember with the rift the whole point is to keep your eyes facing forward and turn your head instead.

Finally I do recommend getting into the practice of putting the rift on like a gas mask. Sorry can't think of a better way to say it ;) Essentially you place the Rift on your face, holding it in the correct position and then pull the straps over your head. Many people tend to instinctively put the strap on first and pull the rift forward over their head and down onto their face. This can result in getting dirt and grease onto the lenses, possibly even scratching them over time and I think more prone to actually not getting it correctly positioned.

One last question, how can I see my FPS in elite when running with rift?

I tried CTRL+F and with fraps but I dont see it anywhere on the screen.

How do you do it?

I use MSI Afterburner to display cpu/gpu stats on screen. It uses RivaTuner to achieve this and in that app I have to set the offset position of the counters to something like 300,300 in order to see it in the Rift. If you do a search on those you should find details and threads that discuss it at length.

Last edited:
I agree with this assessment , but would also add to double check you eye relief setting in the configuration verses the physical settings and take the time to make sure you get it right in terms of the direction. It also pays to spend some time configuring your IPD several times simply to get used to the tool. Don't forget IPD configuration must be done with eye relief fully extended.

Even with the correct IPD you can still get a blur or halo affect around text if the Rift is not placed correctly on your face. Again this is something you either luck into or over time you'll work out. For the longest time I found if I pushed upwards just a mm or so from below the rift the display would get clearer. Trouble was the way I had the straps meant I could never get the rift to stay in the best position on my face for long. Eventually I reset all the straps and made sure to place the rift in as best a position as I could before tightening them. This appears to have improved overall quality and actually made wearing the Rift more comfortable as the straps used to half sit over the top of my ears.

Honestly at the moment this is the worse aspect of the Rift and why its still in development. It simply doesn't have all the necessary physical options to adjust it to fit everyones face and eyes perfectly. They've gone with a generic setup that works for the majority of people, but it still requires time and effort to get set up correctly. What you are seeing suggests it is not yet correctly set up for yourself, but that it should be improvable. Its a shame because ones natural instinct is to get it set up a s quickly as possible and then jump into some games to get the experience, where as really its best to spend as much time as possible setting it up and messing with the desk demo.

If you find your IPD is at the extreme end of the scale, i.e around 60 or 70 ( from memory I think something like 63.5 is default?) you may find it worth investigating if using lens attachments could help - see here

One thing to be aware of the peripheral of your vision in the Rift will be blurry, that is if you move your eyes to look left or right instead of turning your head things will either look blurred, aliased or lower resolution ( this very much depends on what settings the developers have enabled on the Rift as to which you might see). This is normal, just remember with the rift the whole point is to keep your eyes facing forward and turn your head instead.

Finally I do recommend getting into the practice of putting the rift on like a gas mask. Sorry can't think of a better way to say it ;) Essentially you place the Rift on your face, holding it in the correct position and then pull the straps over your head. Many people tend to instinctively put the strap on first and pull the rift forward over their head and down onto their face. This can result in getting dirt and grease onto the lenses, possibly even scratching them over time and I think more prone to actually not getting it correctly positioned.

I use MSI Afterburner to display cpu/gpu stats on screen. It uses RivaTuner to achieve this and in that app I have to set the offset position of the counters to something like 300,300 in order to see it in the Rift. If you do a search on those you should find details and threads that discuss it at length.

This is some of the best advice I have seen - and remember it is still a development kit. For me part of the fun is playing with the settings to tune it to your rig, understanding that it is still mostly experimental. You are on your own with the Internet and the forums as your friend. In my experience things can only get better. I started with a very low end rig with low expectations based on problems I saw with high end machines. After trying all the settings I could find on here and oculus community I have found a set up that works for me. While not perfect, the game is smooth, and for me playable for hours at a time. If I move my head fast I have problems but I have learned how to move my head more slowly and smoothly now for best effect. Some personal training is needed ;) Most of the time I am focus ahead anyway. I am currently having a great experience.

I know it will improve - I have seen vast improvements over last several releases to E:D and OR runtime and SDK in just a few weeks. Looking forward to better NVidea support soon ... Keep the faith and keep posting new findings. I have to say a great thank you to this forum for getting me started and improving the experience on a daily basis. Also massive thanks to FD for their on going committment to VR support and OR specifically.

See you in the void

Last edited:

SlackR

Banned
Whilst I agree with EVERYTHING that has been said, playing with DSR x3 makes a significant difference... I wasn't really sure how much after a few days playing, so I switched back to 1080p... Ouch! :)
I know it's a Dev kit, but until the CV1 is released i want to squeeze every ounce of loveliness out of every pixel that I possibly can! :)

Top Bottom