Help with textures

So, I've managed to create objects and import them fine, I can add a base colour fine but I can't seem to figure the rest out. And help? Zip examples or screenshots maybe?

What do I need to include if I just want the whole thing in Flexi colour?

Using Blender btw. Cheers.

asdfhgzjukilo.JPG

Material Name in Blender: Fence_Material (YOURMATERIALNAME) -> Textures have to be named like that but with the _Suffix like _BC, _NM, _MT...

Texture names:

Fence_Material_BC
Fence_Material_AO
Fence_Material_NM
Fence_Material_MT
Fence_Material_RN
Fence_Material_F1

My _F1 Flexicolor is just 8x8 pixel (power of two) because i want to recolor the whole texture and not just a part of it and it saves on memory. If you want to recolor just some parts you have to mask it with black white (white is where you can change color and black where you cant)

Thank you so much, I think that helps a lot! Could you possibly screenshot your layout of materials in blender? Just so I know I'm doing it right?

Thanks again..

Yes that would be really helpfull if yu can show us the assign the materials.
Material Naming etc. is not that problem but the assign...

Awfa.JPG

you can have max 8 textures for 1 material.

you could also add 2 materials in blender or more (i think so): (if you have 2 or more objects in your scene with UV maps you assign each of the objects a material and then you could have 2 texture sets, each for one object)

for example:

Object_01 (own UV Map)

Material_01_Name
<Material_01_Name>_BC.png
<Material_01_Name>_RN.png
<Material_01_Name>_CA.png
<Material_01_Name>_AO.png
<Material_01_Name>_MT.png
<Material_01_Name>_OP.png
<Material_01_Name>_EM.png
<Material_01_Name>_F1.png
<Material_01_Name>_F2.png
<Material_01_Name>_F3.png
<Material_01_Name>_F4.png

Object_02 (own UV Map)

Material_02_Name
<Material_02_Name>_BC.png
<Material_02_Name>_RN.png
<Material_02_Name>_CA.png
<Material_02_Name>_AO.png
<Material_02_Name>_MT.png
<Material_02_Name>_OP.png
<Material_02_Name>_EM.png
<Material_02_Name>_F1.png
<Material_02_Name>_F2.png
<Material_02_Name>_F3.png
<Material_02_Name>_F4.png

The confusing disconnect is that you don't have to apply the textures in Blender (or any program)! You just need a material with a NAME that matches the texture files you're using (If I understand correctly, it does not matter at all the look of that material inside of Blender), but you do need to have UV mapped the object so that the texture files know how to apply themselves.

Hope this helps understand a bit. Its confusing I know.

Ahhh I think that's where I've been going wrong.. I've been making a material with different textures name test_bc etc.. I want to name the material after the file names.. I'll try now.. thanks guys.

The confusing disconnect is that you don't have to apply the textures in Blender (or any program)! You just need a material with a NAME that matches the texture files you're using (If I understand correctly, it does not matter at all the look of that material inside of Blender), but you do need to have UV mapped the object so that the texture files know how to apply themselves.

Hope this helps understand a bit. Its confusing I know.
Ahhh I think that's where I've been going wrong.. I've been making a material with different textures name test_bc etc.. I want to name the material after the file names.. I'll try now.. thanks guys.
[my opinion throughout]

This is just one of the reasons it'd be really great if the example scenes were available! [sulk]

lucasup, would you please post a screenshot of your material name in Blender along with the name of the png? This might be the solution to a problem I'm having.

I feel like I should probably just give up.. I'm not getting anywhere with textures. I guess I'll make do with textureless models. :(

[my opinion throughout]

This is just one of the reasons it'd be really great if the example scenes were available! [sulk]

And even more awesome if they give us samples of every "standard"
One of all different wall types, roof types and so on!
Especially of these "building" types so they easily connect with the "originals" in the game (without gaps and other problems)
That also means just one window sample so custom made windows and other wall pieces connect correctly!

That would be awesome!

And I still would really like to have a bendable path piece!
I would bend it up to make arched bridges (Japanese) and bend it down to make hanging bridges!
That way bridges would be usable and the peeps don't go thru it!

so does each of my png files have their own material name in blender?

NO, you just have one material.

So you have an object in blender, here named "TUN", this object has a material, you can name that material what you want, example : "THUNA" and that's it with the material in Blender. No need to import textures in blender, no need for png in Blender.

So if your Material name in Blender is "THUNA". Then in the zipfile where you put your fbx and icon, you add the textures that are supposed to be in the material "THUNA",, so you will have "THUNA_BC", "THUNA_NM", etc... that's it.

If your 3D object has 2 materials : example "THUNA" and "THUNA_02", then you will have textures for one called "THUNA_BC" etc... and textures for the second called "THUNA_02_BC", etc...

Cheers.. I'm sorry for sounding stupid.

Something just isn't working properly.. possibly my png files are incorrect.. I have no idea but it's wrecking my head..

I've tried what you said, but I still end up with a white object in planet coaster..

I'll try again in a few days.. thanks again.

Cheers.. I'm sorry for sounding stupid.

Something just isn't working properly.. possibly my png files are incorrect.. I have no idea but it's wrecking my head..

I've tried what you said, but I still end up with a white object in planet coaster..

I'll try again in a few days.. thanks again.

The toolkit is hard, it's totally normal to get lost, I still struggle with it and I agree that sometimes it has nothing to do with our zipfile but with the website itself that has so many bugs !

What size are your png files ? 1024x1024 ? 2048x2048 ? Can You send a screenshot of what's inside the zip file and the material tab inside Blender ?

I've tried all sorts of sizes, always in 2s as it says on the user guide.

I thought I'd just go with the most basic of basic zip files to start, so I had icon.png, XX_bc.png and then the fbx file.

The toolkit is passing the zip, no errors and the model its self is perfect, it's just white.

Urgh.

I've tried all sorts of sizes, always in 2s as it says on the user guide.

I thought I'd just go with the most basic of basic zip files to start, so I had icon.png, XX_bc.png and then the fbx file.

The toolkit is passing the zip, no errors and the model its self is perfect, it's just white.

Urgh.

Does your object has a UVmap ? If not it's probably because of this.

-UV MAP
Your object needs a UV map. To do this select your object and enter in edit mode (tab), select all your mesh (A to select or deselect all), then press U > and choose "Smart Uv Project".

Once this is done, you can get out of edit mode (tab again). Your object has now a UV map for textures to be applied.

I'm not an expert, but this should help. Look up UV blender tutorials for more in depth help!

UVTEXTUREtut.jpg
Note that the UV map applies to ALL the textures named "hex" so hex_f1 follows the SAME UV layout as hex_bc

Please also see this post/thread on exporting in blender, as there are still some kinks we are working out on that process.

Top Bottom