Herbivores eating available plants instead of dispensers

may have already been touched on but realistically speaking, herbivores don't need any kind of food dispenser if they're surrounded by grass, plants and bushes

any chance that'll make it in eventually? maybe as part of the science tree you can research paleo based plant life that will both decorate enclosures and feed the dinosaurs. Could be that they are always there but are more expensive to place and obviously after a while will be depleted and will then either need to be removed/replaced

I've never really understood why a lot of games with herbivorous animals require you to provide specific food outlets for them when you then surround them with food in nature

!!! DAMMIT HOW DO I EDIT TITLES!!!!
!!! NVM FOUND IT - THEY AREN'T EATING PLANETS, THEY'RE EATING PLANTS LEAVE ME ALONE !!!

Last edited:
Yeah they kept talking about feeders but they are surrounded by vegetation. In JPOG eating modern plants and grass would make your herbivores sick and I think they got dino belly from it, which is what JPOG called it. Of course you could vaccinate them against ut and they could eat the modern plants and trees.

It would be a great way to add individual tree/bush placement. I have no issues with vegetation brushes, but this WOULD be a nice touch. [up]

It would be a great way to add individual tree/bush placement. I have no issues with vegetation brushes, but this WOULD be a nice touch. [up]

On one of the gameplay videos I watched Nick Rodgers told the player that they could press the controller button harder for more dense forests or less hard for thinner forests. So maybe the PC has some kind of option like that where you can just put down maybe 1-3 trees.

I would love seeing a Brachiosaurus eat a branch off of a giant tree. So yeah, it seems so obvious to include this into the game.

i kind of didn't wanna mention JPOG because its (inevitably) brought up every time a suggestion is made. Devs must get tired of it at some point lol

BUT exactly that, modern plants made your dinos sick and you need to vaccinate and/or treat them. On the other hand you had a paleo brush to place trees that would be fine for the herbivores to eat, and using the brush I believe cost more than using the modern tree brush

On one of the gameplay videos I watched Nick Rodgers told the player that they could press the controller button harder for more dense forests or less hard for thinner forests. So maybe the PC has some kind of option like that where you can just put down maybe 1-3 trees.

That's an interesting way to do it. (I guess on PC it will be done by some sort of "density slider")
Once more, it only proves that it's probably too early to speculate what is and isn't in the game. :)

may have already been touched on but realistically speaking, herbivores don't need any kind of food dispenser if they're surrounded by grass, plants and bushes

any chance that'll make it in eventually? maybe as part of the science tree you can research paleo based plant life that will both decorate enclosures and feed the dinosaurs. Could be that they are always there but are more expensive to place and obviously after a while will be depleted and will then either need to be removed/replaced

I've never really understood why a lot of games with herbivorous animals require you to provide specific food outlets for them when you then surround them with food in nature

!!! DAMMIT HOW DO I EDIT TITLES!!!!
!!! NVM FOUND IT - THEY AREN'T EATING PLANETS, THEY'RE EATING PLANTS LEAVE ME ALONE !!!

I disagree.
I think that extra feeding via dispensers can be defended very well.
The enclosures of the Herbivores is quite small. Especially when multiple animals are kept in such an enclosure they need extra food.
One might even add some food supplements to prevent the animals from getting sick etc.

I disagree.
I think that extra feeding via dispensers can be defended very well.
The enclosures of the Herbivores is quite small. Especially when multiple animals are kept in such an enclosure they need extra food.
One might even add some food supplements to prevent the animals from getting sick etc.

the idea of having them can be defended - and yes as you said, dispensers could be used to provide say medicines or even just in general give your dinos more of a boost to stats etc. For me though it just seems very silly that they won't at all eat surrounding foliage if they get hungry. Or even if they just fancy it

I like the idea of having actual trees for the herbivores to eat. Instead of the feeding structure maybe be able to plant trees from the Jurassic/Cretaceous. The taller dinos seemed to be grazing on a type of feeding structure used for elephants and giraffes at zoos. The feeding structure that came out of the ground seemed too close to Operation Genesis.

Top Bottom