Dinosaurs Herding / Alpha Improvements

Your Feature Request / Idea
Existing +s:
- herding has been improved VASTLY in the last major free update, thank you so much for that. It's nice to see the dinos actually feel 'alive'. They're the star of the game afterall.
- herbivores that are more dominant / aggressive have alphas, and their herding behavior is more pronounced compared to ones with none. (like parasorlophous, edmonotosaurs.... basically most of the Hadrosaurs, who are essentially large pack grazers)

What could be done better:
- Alphas don't have much signifiance. Being an Alpha means you should be able to DIRECT the action of the pack. What the alpha does, the pack mimicks. The pack also sticks close to the alpha. Here are some scenarios:
# If a carnivore threatens a pack with an alpha, the alpha can do 1 of 3 things: run away, scare or defend. Running away means, everything in the pack runs, in the same general direction and like a flock. Scare involves staggering close together and doing defensive stance (like ankylosaur for example). Defend involves fighting the threat, but this the alpha can do alone or with the pack; the alpha should strike at the threat when possible.
# Alphas can be unseated as alpha. A triceratops can unseat another triceratops as Alpha in a fight. A pachy can unseat another pachy in a head fight. (believe it or not this used to happen in operation genesis to some degree, threatened Tris would attack carnivores, REGARDLESS of if they were the one involved in a fight or not, which is why it was sometimes nice to mix tris with defenseless dinos)

- Herding behavior is too basic in terms of types of movement. Dryosaurus way back in OG, used to play as herd and run around in interesting patterns. None of that happens here. When I see the Jurassic World movies, and play the game, I expect to also see Gallimimus, herds of them, running across an open field (play or running away), as a pack. There is no play element in behavior at all, when herding. Play elements between all of a herd (for small dinos), some in a herd (medium sized dinos) would be great.

- pack hunting is present in Velos as far as I can tell, but it's not very coordinated? I've never seen more than one velo jump a herbivore or another carnivore for that matter.

- dinos that don't herd and prefer isolation, should automatically find their way to less isolated areas if they can. Lots of times I find most of the dinos like little babies I have to be coddle; their animals for godsake, they learn to adapt to their surroundings right? If they voluntarily moved to an area with lots of dinos, BUT they have a low population ceiling, it makes no sense..... why would they choose to go there? (unless food was only provided in such an area / the exhibit was too small)

Pack hunting isn't a thing in the game yet. What you saw with the Velociraptors was luck. It didn't do pack hunting but rather the dinosaurs ran together and one triggered the animation.

I've been asking and praying for proper herding/flocking since the very beginning so I was inmensely glad to know about the alphas' implementation. Certainly a first step, but there's still a lot to do before saying "herding" is in the game at all.

Already posted a suggestion detailing the points that would make the mechanic ok, dunno if it survived somewhere around here but it was mostly like your suggestion. I would only add that the intra-species and inter-species (I think they're called social and population ingame) values should also point to some kind of tendency for different herds of mingling with one another: for instance, maiasaurs wouldn't only stick together within their own herd but would also look herds of parasaurolophus or corythosaurus among which to blend in order to feel safe and increase their chance of survival. Yet I feel that other species like trikes or stegos wouldn't be so keen to stay among other species that way. This would also help sharpening each species's identity outside InGen Database's info.

Top Bottom