Hardware & Technical Hi there. Have a question of "Is it worth it?"

• Thread starter Deleted member 110222
  • Start date

Deleted member 110222

D
You can see my current specs in orange in my signature.

My question today is, would a, I suppose we could call it "mid-life" upgrade, for my hardware be worth it?

Specifically, would getting a 4690K, emphasis on it being the K-model, and a GTX 1060 6GB, represent a worthwhile investment in my system?

My thoughts are that the CPU could be OC'd a bit, and obviously the 1060 speaks for itself.

Do you guys think it would be worth it? Would it be a really worthwhile thing to go to from my current specs?

Cheers. Yet again I had another thought and figured I'd post the question. :)

CPU, personally I wouldn't bother unless you know it is limiting you in some way. You have 4 fast-ish cores already. The heat from overclocking might need an upgrade to cooling also.

The GPU would make more of a difference. If by not upgrading CPU you might even look higher up, although if that is worth it depends on resolutions/frame rates expected.

Deleted member 110222

D
CPU, personally I wouldn't bother unless you know it is limiting you in some way. You have 4 fast-ish cores already. The heat from overclocking might need an upgrade to cooling also.

The GPU would make more of a difference. If by not upgrading CPU you might even look higher up, although if that is worth it depends on resolutions/frame rates expected.

1080p, 60fps. So I didn't think the CPU would be essential, given what I already have. But it never hurts to ask. :)

1060 on the other hand, that seems like a much simpler choice.

I'd forget the CPU upgrade, unless want to overclock it a lot, which brings in all the heat, cooling issues, and possibly PSU upgrade as well.
And put the pennies into the GPU, and look at possibly going higher than the 1060.

Deleted member 110222

D
I'd forget the CPU upgrade, unless want to overclock it a lot, which brings in all the heat, cooling issues, and possibly PSU upgrade as well.
And put the pennies into the GPU, and look at possibly going higher than the 1060.

Indeed. A 1070 comes to mind?

Indeed. A 1070 comes to mind?

If you can afford both but only need one I would pile the money into the GPU. The 1070 can be had for around the price of the processor and a 1060, your current processor won't bottleneck it either. As good as the 1060 is the higher level card will absolutely outstrip it, think 980Ti / Titan levels of performance.

If you can afford both but only need one I would pile the money into the GPU. The 1070 can be had for around the price of the processor and a 1060, your current processor won't bottleneck it either. As good as the 1060 is the higher level card will absolutely outstrip it, think 980Ti / Titan levels of performance.

I'm running an i5 2500k@4.3ghz, and it chews through this game. The 32 GB RAM and gtx 1080 doesn't hurt either :) Point being, your CPU is currently way more than enough for just about anything out there, especially Elite.

My secondary system is also a 2500k with a gtx 1070 in it, and it runs Elite on 1080p @144hz and keeps up with 144 fps on ultra.

Last edited:

Deleted member 110222

D
Well I think going for a 1070 is the best bet, especially if I want to give VR a go.

Top Bottom