How did you die - Tell your story

Early in the expedition I was in the Cat's Paw nebula, racking up some wonderful discoveries. I landed by Orca on a tame little world to get some screen shots of the fumaroles or somesuch. It was a low-g planet, nothing very scary.

I lifted off again to reposition my ship, flew in a big backwards loop that was woefully miscalculated--I was belly-up careening towards the ground, and I guess my "up" thrusters weren't ready for the job of slowing descent (that's not their job, eh?). So I braced for a bump. No big deal, I had my shields up.

And then I bounced off the ground and exploded. Quite astonishing.

So, I've recalibrated my expectations about what kind of impacts my shields and hull can withstand, and I'll be flying less dangerously from now on...

Side note, I also lost an SRV very recently under mysterious circumstances. I was cruising along a planet (again looking for screenshots) and came down from a shallow jump on my wheels and explode. Down from 41% hull to 0% for seemingly no reason. I guess that's why I brought two. Anyway, I've heard there will be an outfitter at the core, so I guess it's not a big deal.

Same thing happened to me, well nearly. I was on a 1.4g planet and taking photos, i thought it would look good if i flipped my Phantom upside down and got a different perspective. little did i know the thrusters then decided to push me into the planet.....Bang.....shields gone and hull down to 14%. Luckily i survived and after a quick call to our amazing Hull Seals and i was back to 100%

I cant believe there have only been 20 commanders reporting death and destruction. I know there are more out there. Come on People name and shame yourselves....I mean tell your story.

List updated.

I think that I shall never fly
In towards the Jet Cone from the sky
The Pulsar's crushing gravity rent
My fragile hull so easily bent

Yes I've learned my lesson
Fools like me
Should never fly Caffeine Free

(note - this has NOT happened to me - yet. But I was flying near the edge of exhaustion one evening and it ALMOST did. Heh. )

Last edited:
Did not die but I remember my ship falling like a brick at the first WP. Had no boost, was trying to do up and all I could see was the ground closing in. Shields saved me :p

My AI pilot decided to fly straight into the ground at Beagle Point 2, while I was in my slf, not moving. Thankfully support restored my ship, data and paintjob, but not the pilot (he didn't deserve it).

A few thousand light-years past the very last human outpost we'd stop at, I was closing in on a planetside landing. About 2-3 kilometers above the surface, with maybe 90 seconds left until I was within landing range, I decided I just couldn't wait any longer and had to land as soon as humanly possible.

So I boosted.

Needless to say, the ground rushed up way faster than I could handle. I turned 90 degrees to try to boost straight up, but my power distributor was so underpowered that it couldn't generate another boost. Ever so gracefully, I crashed into the planet a**-first, tumbled over a couple times, and exploded.

I like to think some E.T. somewhere was watching and had a good belly-laugh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom