How do I make paths like this?

Unanimously by who? you and....?

Have you read/watched a single review for this game? The path system is a negative in every. single. one.

it doesn't take ages to build anything like that either.

Are you guys not understanding that it REQUIRES ABUSING BUGS? This isn't native behavior! The path system can't natively do this! You have to confuse it and make it implode in on itself to do this!

Have you read/watched a single review for this game? The path system is a negative in every. single. one.

Are you guys not understanding that it REQUIRES ABUSING BUGS? This isn't native behavior! The path system can't natively do this! You have to confuse it and make it implode in on itself to do this!

Then file a bug report....

MateriaGirl has definitely a point. The pathing controls do a good work but same time, without the intention to ask for the most perfect solution, it has its flaws. i have no idea how much of a reason "performance" is, that we have to take it as it is. and how much of a reason "loads of work to make it happen, knowing it won't monetize" is. but if any, a good reason to go for it should be "make a good game even better". and imho the game still has so much potential to grow - alone in regard of the Editor. This baby should be the point of interest, if it's me to decide.

Then file a bug report....

:D then Frontier fixes the plaza workaround, which then wouldn't be there anymore.

Um, no. In fact, you can find a lot of praise for the path system if you both to look, because it is quite flexible and allows you to do pretty much anything you want if you bother to learn how to use the system. Go watch some tutorials and your opinion will change.

The main limitations / annoyances / problems with the path system are:
1. Minimum path width is 4m
2. It's impossible to turn off path curbs if the path is not on the ground surface. And the top of the curb is where the path altitude is measured from. Thus, if you select a building as the grid for a path, the curbs will be flush with the floor and invisible but the path surface is ankle-deep under the floor. This gives you a choice of which way looks worse: No curbs sticking up through the floor but peeps sunk ankle-deep in the floor, OR peeps walking on the floor (requiring the path to be on a separate grid from the building) but the curbs sticking up through the floor.
3. Paths above the ground surfaces are always about 1m thick. So unless you put 1m of space between the ceiling of a lower story and the floor of the story above, the underside of the upper-story path will poke down through the lower story's ceiling.
4. Inability to select which style of railing you want on a given path/queue texture, and lack of control over the location of in-game path supports.
5. Path/queue textures are always aligned with the base world grid of the park, so things like the plank textures often look illogical when the path is at an angle to the world grid.

None of these are game-killers, none of these make the system "broken", and all of them are fairly easy to work around, the most annoying being the issues with multi-story buildings. If you can't be bothered to learn to use what you have, then it's pretty hard to have any sympathy for you.

[/quote]

This is where you're absolutely, totally wrong. This is not a bug. This is EXACTLY how the system of making curves to fill right angle intersections is supposed to work. And you should thank Frontier for making that system flexible enough to make huge, curved plazas.

because it is quite flexible and allows you to do pretty much anything you want if you bother to learn how to use the system.

Absolute nonsense.

hLLxLPM.png

Go in game and make this for me. It has a few combinations of paths that are literally impossible, but you can do it, right? I'm just too stupid and lazy, right?

GLfpysg.png

Here's a simpler one. Make this one. Show me how to do it. Without making big gaps that you cover up with planters like Silvarett's method. Know why he does that? Because you can't make paths like this! This is a basic plaza, and it's not possible!

This is where you're absolutely, totally wrong. This is not a bug.

A technique that requires the user rapidly click and delete a piece of path in order to force it to do something it otherwise refuses to do IS NOT A BUG? Give me a break.

Absolute nonsense.

View attachment 2111

Go in game and make this for me. It has a few combinations of paths that are literally impossible, but you can do it, right? I'm just too stupid and lazy, right?

View attachment 2112

Here's a simpler one. Make this one. Show me how to do it. Without making big gaps that you cover up with planters like Silvarett's method. Know why he does that? Because you can't make paths like this! This is a basic plaza, and it's not possible!

A technique that requires the user rapidly click and delete a piece of path in order to force it to do something it otherwise refuses to do IS NOT A BUG? Give me a break.

Why are you complaining here then?
File a bug report or post a suggestion.

You where here initially to ask how something is done. Which was showed in the best and easiest way possible, after that there was only complaining because the system works differently than what you want, and that's exactly how it is, it works differently than how YOU want it.

ps. I (and others probably as well) are able to do these plaza's and paths with ease.

Last edited:
Ah so, they'd need to create a separate system. Two systems are better than one, eh? [rolleyes][rolleyes]
many systems with in this game could be combined, like scenery and wall pieces are separate systems yet many people have requested they be the same to use the same tools, and now that we are getting TMT/CSO (another separate system) it will be interesting to see what happens when players start creating wall pieces as scenery objects... so I dont see how your question relates to the solution/problem being discussed? I dont think that adding more options to the path system would really be any different

Um, no. In fact, you can find a lot of praise for the path system if you both to look, because it is quite flexible and allows you to do pretty much anything you want if you bother to learn how to use the system. Go watch some tutorials and your opinion will change.
Yea but every single complaint or suggestion to improving paths is met with responses like "it aint broke" and "slight improvements are not necessary" or "why change it" which is not a great response to hear for those who think the path system could be better, especially when most of the suggestions would be very helpful to reducing the amount of time consumption this game takes

its not like the OP is asking for something impossible or completely unnecessary, were discussing actual possible improvements that would benefit all players of every skill level

Poor game design...is not "challenge". Guys, if you're here to fanboy, you can stop now, because I'm not gonna back down to your fanboying nonsense. The path system is bad. "But if you play with crappy bugs for an hour you might be able to make something that would take 10 seconds in a game with a good path system, it's a fun challenge yay!" is not going to make the path system stop being bad. [wacky]
This is a frequent occurrence around here unfortunately :( I agree with you Materia, poor UI is not a fun "challenge" the game should be easy to pick and play without having to devote hours/months to simple little things

Why are you complaining here then?
File a bug report or post a suggestion.

You where here initially to ask how something is done. Which was showed in the best and easiest way possible, after that there was only complaining because the system works differently than what you want, and that's exactly how it is, it works differently than how YOU want it.

ps. I (and others probably as well) are able to do these plaza's and paths with ease.
I'm glad there is yet ANOTHER thread discussing this because reporting it as a bug wont make any difference... the devs have repeatedly said they find paths to be wonderful and have no plans to change or improve them... so why shouldnt people be allowed to keep discussing it?

I see a lot of people repeat the same stuff around here, and it always comes down to "that doesnt need fixing" but the voice of the hardcore players have drowned out the casuals :( most people have moved on from this game long ago

Last edited:
The main limitations / annoyances / problems with the path system are:
1. Minimum path width is 4m
2. It's impossible to turn off path curbs if the path is not on the ground surface. And the top of the curb is where the path altitude is measured from. Thus, if you select a building as the grid for a path, the curbs will be flush with the floor and invisible but the path surface is ankle-deep under the floor. This gives you a choice of which way looks worse: No curbs sticking up through the floor but peeps sunk ankle-deep in the floor, OR peeps walking on the floor (requiring the path to be on a separate grid from the building) but the curbs sticking up through the floor.
3. Paths above the ground surfaces are always about 1m thick. So unless you put 1m of space between the ceiling of a lower story and the floor of the story above, the underside of the upper-story path will poke down through the lower story's ceiling.
4. Inability to select which style of railing you want on a given path/queue texture, and lack of control over the location of in-game path supports.
5. Path/queue textures are always aligned with the base world grid of the park, so things like the plank textures often look illogical when the path is at an angle to the world grid.

None of these are game-killers, none of these make the system "broken", and all of them are fairly easy to work around, the most annoying being the issues with multi-story buildings. If you can't be bothered to learn to use what you have, then it's pretty hard to have any sympathy for you.

You are spot on here, Bullethead. They are minor annoyances that can be overcome with learning and understanding how to work WITH the system.

I don't think it is being a fanboy to stick up for a system when you provide a balanced response like above. Even with Bullethead's frustrations above, I also actually like the pathing system. I do wish they'd remove the bloody kerbs on elevated though.

Last edited:
I (and others probably as well) are able to do these plaza's and paths with ease.

So do it. [snipped]. Show me a video of you making that complex first plaza "with ease". No gaps in the paths, all appropriate angles and curves in the right places. The top entrance area on the first plaza is a 4m wide path, use that for scale. Go for it. Show me how easy it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
So do it. [snipped]. Show me a video of you making that complex first plaza "with ease". No gaps in the paths, all appropriate angles and curves in the right places. The top entrance area on the first plaza is a 4m wide path, use that for scale. Go for it. Show me how easy it is.

Why are all your posts so combative and negative? I can't recall a single post you've made which isn't negative. This is a friendly forum and telling someone to put up or shut up is not in the spirit of this community. Yes, there are heated discussions when topics are raised which are decisive but there is no cause to be disrespectful and rude.

In any case, someone already took the time to answer your original post with a screenshot tutorial (which you didn't even bother to thank him for).

For the record, I'm angry because you said you could do it WITH EASE. Because it's a bold-faced lie. You cannot do most of the things I drew into that plaza pictures. But you insist that not only are they possible, but they're also easy! And then you can't even back yourself up and prove it? Give me a break!

If it's so easy, prove it. If you can't prove it, stop acting like I'm an idiot for not being able to get the path system t do what I want it to. There's nothing wrong on my end- it's simply not possible to do, because the path system is bad. But you are blaming me! You are insulting me! You are insulting my competence by merely going "nope it's super easy, sooo easy", and then you can't even back it up!

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Hey everyone,

A friendly reminder; please adhere to the forum rules and keep these forums a safe, friendly and respectful platform for everyone to enjoy.

Failure in doing so will (unfortunately) result in infractions. Please don't let it come that far.

Thanks!

Apologies for the delay - this was the first time I've been able to get on the computer properly since my last response.

I gave your pathing challenge a go - apart from the upper left corner, I think it's pretty spot on. Just in case it was actually a serious request - I started with the circular pathing at the bottom and worked from there. I then went to the left, up and to the right before adding on the bits that shoot out.

20181101105959_1.jpg

Last edited:
I gave your pathing challenge a go - apart from the upper left corner, I think it's pretty spot on.

yes, but imho the main point is: how much effort does it take (in minutes) and wouldn't it be easier (for all) if the path tool would allow us to either fill empty parts between different pathes or to splice out sections from existing pathes, while pathes itself aren't limited to 10meters and may range from 1 to 100meters.

imho there was no need to start a challange if someone is able to create specific custom pathways/plazas to demonstrate that it's possible to workaround as quick as better tools would allow us to be. because it's obviously not possible. neither in time, nor in perfection. it's just possible that you are happy how the workaround helps to gain a result at least close to what you want to have.

Last edited:
Yeah, see, without knowing how long it took, it doesn't really mean much- plus, while you got the vague shape, there's details in that photo I put there specifically because they are impossible, and you didn't actually get any of them in your recreation:

-The upper left bit is the complete wrong shape- the trapezoid shape was the whole point

-None of the 45 degree angles are 45 degree angles, they're all curved

-Narrow paths are not narrow

-The bottom left oval is centered with its connection, my intent was to say you can't do that shape *without* it being centered- note how it's connected towards the top in the drawing

-The curve at the top of the middle-post 45 degree angle straight piece doesnt exist at all

I am surprised the circle in the middle of the path worked, that was one I didn't think was possible, but that's the only impossible feature I included in the drawing that you actually managed. :x

it's just possible that you are happy how the workaround helps to gain a result at least close to what you want to have.

Yeah, exactly. Lengths are too restrictive, slopes are too restrictive (WAY too restrictive), connections are too restrictive, thickness is too restrictive..."I guess I got it good enough" isn't good enough.

*Materia asks something*
*Community invests time to explain*
*Materia is bashing about the pathsystem*

*Materia asks help for shapeforming*

Your opinion is clear, but at least say thank you to the community who are trying to help and put time in it.
This is just rude in my opinion to the people trying to help you.

*Materia asks something*

*Materia asks help for shapeforming*

Your opinion is clear, but at least say thank you to the community who are trying to help and put time in it.
This is just rude in my opinion to the people trying to help you.
My opinion throughout:

*Materia posts example of (in her opinion) impossible-to-do pathing to demonstrate her criticisms of PlanCo's current pathing system*

*Some community members invest time to prove her wrong while actually proving several of her points are right, claim victory*

*Materia posts rebuttal detailing where her criteria weren't met and how this demonstrates the validity of her crit*

*Community member disses Materia for insufficient performative gratitude*

I think this thread should be closed as there is no meaningful conversation here. I was hoping it would just drop down and go.

RedHair - I appreciate the support and agree entirely with your sentiment.

KickAir - I disagree with some of your points however I respect your opinion and don’t intend to rebut as to avoid an argument.

As the community member who gave up their time, I feel that I should just comment on a couple of points.

It didn’t take a long time to do the pathing at all. No more than 10 minutes but I had planned it in my head whilst the game was loading.

For my next points, I feel I must highlight MateriaGirl’s posting. They are always negative, cynical and combative in responses. This is the internet and there will always be someone like this. I didn’t respond initially because I tend to avoid conversation with these types of people. I did the pathing in order to show that it could be done - either exactly or with a couple of compromises. The picture drawn by them appeared a rough drawing. I didn’t put a huge amount of effort in due to; the roughness of the drawing, the feeling that it wasn’t a serious request for help, the negative impression I have of MateriaGirl which feeds into not wanting to invest too much time.

When I first read their post, I was annoyed for the reasons RedHair stated. Everyone is entitled to their respective opinions but, if someone goes out of their way to engage / offer help, then the least they can do is say thank you. Otherwise it just leaves a sour taste.

Re the pathing - I hope I’ve shown that the pathing system can be used to make either what you want, or very similar, with respect to the games own limitations. And yes, I can see that my effort supported some of the criticisms, which I respect, however I also hope it can be seen that a true effort wasn’t attempted for the reasons above. After all, why would someone invest a proper amount of time knowing that it’ll just be bashed on the other side?

Long post so my apologies.

Top Bottom