How do I reinstall ED onto a new PC?

Grab an external hard drive (or a USB flash drive of 16GB or more) and copy the game files from the install location to it. The default install location on a non-Steam version should be something like C:\Program Files\Frontier\.

Download the launcher and install it on your new PC. DON'T INSTALL THE GAME THROUGH THE LAUNCHER.

Copy the directory back over to the new location. If you leave everything alone, it should be the same as the location on the old PC. Keep a note of where you install it if you choose a custom directory. Launch the launcher, log in and install the versions you had installed on your old machine. Instead of downloading the files again (which can be painfully slow,) the launcher will download a much smaller manifest file and validate the game files. You'll be ready to go in 15 minutes, less if you have installed the game to an SSD.

You can do the same with the Steam version, although the install locations are obviously going to be different.

Your key binds and other settings are stored in C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options Copy this folder from your old machine and drop it into the same place in the new one. Select "yes" if it asks you if you want to overwrite. Your control binds will be exactly as you left them on your old machine, along with graphics and sound options.

Last edited:
Grab an external hard drive (or a USB flash drive of 16GB or more) and copy the files from the install location to it. --snip--You can do the same with the Steam version, although the install locations are obviously going to be different.

For those on Steam, I believe I can help out here. For a quick re-load on Steam of any and all games you have there do this:

1. Back up your Steam folder to an external hard drive:
COPY C:"PROGRAM FILES (X86)"\STEAM"STEAMAPPS"\COMMON\*.* F:\STEAM"STEAMAPPS"\COMMON\
(if you use a different target letter for your external, change F:\ to the appropriate letter.

2. On the new PC, go to Valve's website and download / install the Steam client. Let it do it's initial installation (you'll get an e-mail with a verification code you'll need to confirm that you are the owner of that account. If needed, restart your PC after that's done.

3. Launch Steam. It may indicate you own games that are ready to install. DON'T click the install button. Once you see that it recognizes you own them, close the Steam client. Not sure, but you might want to actually close it down completely.

4. Reverse the backup shown in step 1. Copy everything on that "steamapps"\common\ folder back to C:"PROGRAM FILES (X86)"\STEAM"STEAMAPPS"\COMMON\

5. Restart Steam. It SHOULD recognize that the files are there. If not, go ahead and click "install" if it's still there. Steam SHOULD recognize most, if not all, of those files are already in place and may pick one or two updates to add in. However, if this works (and I used it when moving my Steam games from my last PC to the current one I'm using), it'll save hours of re-downloading stuff you already have. Make sure you test each game to make sure everything moved over correctly. Murphy's Law, and all that.

BTW, I do a back-up on the Steam folder every two or three nights before going to bed. The batchfile does this:

XCOPY C:"PROGRAM FILES (X86)"\STEAM"STEAMAPPS"\COMMON\*.* F:\STEAM"STEAMAPPS"\COMMON\ /M /E /Y

Saves time since it only adds new files that get updated to what's already been copied over so the backup doesn't take that long.

Hope that helps.

Edit: sorry, I decided to add the full batch file just in case someone wants it. Save it to a folder in the root of the C drive called batchfiles and once in, just create an icon for the desktop to click. I call it steambk.bat but you can name it anything you wish (just end it with .bat). Again if you backup to a different drive letter, please make sure you modify the file to reflect this.

@ECHO OFF
CLS
CD C:\
REM STEAM GAME BACK UP, RESETS ARCHIVE BIT ON SOURCE FILE
ECHO.
ECHO BACKING UP STEAM GAMES TO EXTERNAL DRIVE - MODIFIED FILES ONLY.
ECHO MAKE SURE BACK-UP DRIVE IS READY........
PAUSE
CD C:\
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO BACKING UP STEAM GAMES FOLDER...
TIMEOUT /T 5 > NUL
XCOPY C:"PROGRAM FILES (X86)"\STEAM"STEAMAPPS"\COMMON\*.* F:\STEAM"STEAMAPPS"\COMMON\ /M /E /Y
ECHO.
TIMEOUT /T 5 > NUL
CLS
ECHO.
ECHO FINSIHED!
TIMEOUT /T 5 > NUL
ECHO.

Last edited:
^ Good post with a good point.

My steam games are over 300GB. I have them on a separate SSD. If I reinstall my OS, I just point Steam to the drive and it picks up that the games are there.

Back
Top Bottom