How I would the ED BGS love to work...

Creating emergent gameplay through a systemic game as in this video.

[video=youtube;SnpAAX9CkIc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnpAAX9CkIc[/video]

The BGS is predestined to have stuff like this. Having the Commodity Market, State and BGS systems, Government, Technology level, Population, Security Level, Crimes, Mission System, Outfitting, Shipyards, Ressources, Factions and Powerplay etc. all influence each other, would be so cool.

If there was a way to change the production or size of stations, plus persistent NPCs - visible and invisible ones - that could happen.

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator
The pieces are all there. I think ED has an understandable reluctance to completely unchain the BGS, because one thing has been established beyond all doubt and that is... if through manipulating the game mechanics, it is posslbe to cause grief to someone else, then you can be assured that there are people who will delight in doing just that. I'd love to see dynamic population.... but on a very very slow timescale.

Last edited:
Creating emergent gameplay through a systemic game as in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnpAAX9CkIc

The BGS is predestined to have stuff like this. Having the Commodity Market, State and BGS systems, Government, Technology level, Population, Security Level, Crimes, Mission System, Outfitting, Shipyards, Ressources, Factions and Powerplay etc. all influence each other, would be so cool.

If there was a way to change the production or size of stations, plus persistent NPCs - visible and invisible ones - that could happen.

There was discussion about the population and changes to that...FDev has serious trepidations (and I think we can all see good reason for it!) about the player base and an ability to change these items.

I am sure the capabilities are already in the game (or could 'easily' be added) but the damage that could be done to the game could be irreparable.

Not to mention the PVP complaints about the 'unfairness' of modes.

Hopefully one day we can enjoy a living, breathing BGS. For that to happen the maturity of the player base needs to improve first though.

And the realisation that the ED community will never be like any other, namely EvE. Though I've met enough players from that game who are really nice people.

Yet what sets them apart from the others is that they preserved themselves a conscience. You don't go and wreck the efforts of someone else just because you can.

And that is especially true in means of the BGS.

Hopefully one day we can enjoy a living, breathing BGS. For that to happen the maturity of the player base needs to improve first though.

And the realisation that the ED community will never be like any other, namely EvE. Though I've met enough players from that game who are really nice people.

Yet what sets them apart from the others is that they preserved themselves a conscience. You don't go and wreck the efforts of someone else just because you can.

And that is especially true in means of the BGS.
That's a fundamental problem that is never going to be fixed sadly, and to that I doubt the basics of the BGS is going to ever be that dynamic.

We would all love it - but it just is never going to get there I think thanks to human nature online.

I want dynamic population now rather than later, with productivity in the commodities market tied to that population level, not just to state. I want rares to be uncapped on distance to encourage piracy of truly valuable commodities being shipped to Colonia and the resultant pay day that would bring. I want to see automated mining platforms like in the old games which produce valuable minerals and metals refined and ready to collect and where others could steal your goods collected, if they can unlock the core data (collected and delivered to say an engineer) to release it to another ship. I want to see proper black markets where you can buy and not just sell commodities. I want so much Frontier that I could come up with ideas for the next 20 years of Elite and not just the 10 year plan.

I want dynamic population now rather than later, with productivity in the commodities market tied to that population level, not just to state. I want rares to be uncapped on distance to encourage piracy of truly valuable commodities being shipped to Colonia and the resultant pay day that would bring. I want to see automated mining platforms like in the old games which produce valuable minerals and metals refined and ready to collect and where others could steal your goods collected, if they can unlock the core data (collected and delivered to say an engineer) to release it to another ship. I want to see proper black markets where you can buy and not just sell commodities. I want so much Frontier that I could come up with ideas for the next 20 years of Elite and not just the 10 year plan.

What a dream it would be if there were more turn-based strategy elements in the bgs. Capturing a mining planetary settlement allowing your station in orbit to sell some precious wares, following a tech tree why not ? Being able to complete terraforming, enhancing stations or stations services based on bgs activity and states... and more complex and consistent types of economies (e.g. a military shipyard should sell more combat ships and advanced weapons).

I want to take this and run with it, but... I fear the result will be a wall of text that could be seen from space.

Let me try...

Let's start with the Minor Factions. We've all done something for one of them, somewhere, some time. They're called "Missions". You complete a mission, you get paid. You can some Influence and some Reputation. That faction does too, some partial percentage point of BGS standing, whatever it is.

You keep doing these for the same faction, you eventually become an Ally of that faction.

And then what? Missions pay better, that's about it. Maybe that faction gains enough to try to displace another faction in that system. Yay, now they control the station, and beer is legal again. Let the good times roll. You just won a round of BGS.

It's rubbish. It's the film left at the bottom of a canister of biowaste, after the biowaste has been poured out.

Let's try this again:

You complete a mission for a faction, you gain standing with that faction, that faction gains standing in that system. You keep at it, that faction considers you an Ally.
Now what happens? Well... your "Ally" doesn't permit NPC's belonging to them to try to interdict you. Their enemies on the other hand, might try that much harder. BUT, and this a big one, your Ally might dispatch a ship or two to lend a hand if you find yourself in a sticky situation. Now that Allied status has some meaning. Not much, granted, but anything is better than nothing. Where might this be most helpful? You're sitting out in a vast field of floating rocks, mining your own business, pirates harass you. The local police aren't helping, but a nearby NPC or two, your Allies, see you're having some issues and come to your aid. Awesome. Pirate dispatched, they go back to their business, you resume yours. Just one example.

Now, many minor factions belong to one super power or another. We already know about this, it's how we go about unlocking Rank Locked ships. You complete enough missions, a Navy Mission spawns. Complete that and your Navy Rank increases. Increase it enough, and you unlock a system or a ship.

It works, but it's weak. Let's season it. After completing enough missions for this power-aligned faction, you receive another mission - a Pledge Mission. If you accept it, you've just pledged a Power and joined the ranks of Power Play. You have demonstrated a vested interest in the well-being of a particular faction, they reciprocate by offering the opportunity to "move up in the organization".

Because that's really the biggest point of BGS fiddling anyways - to sway influence for or against a particular power.

It ties everything up into a nice, neat package of sense and logic.

Let's say you call one particular system your home. Being able to pledge to a minor faction as you can to a PP one would be a good start. You can't even pledge to a player faction currently...

Would running food currently do anything other than reduce your profits? Explosives to an extraction station be anything but sub optimal trading? I assume they currently don't have any actual effect other than on your credit balance..

If you took the tools and machinery from industrial and high tech systems yeah it would be great if it had any effect upon your home system. Making production more efficient and therefore reducing purchase price.. Upgrading the station etc... Other than outbreak and famine, plus some smuggled goods, commodities seem to have no effect.

Currently our player faction has an outpost with no market or shipyard so should I wish to even role play it it is impossible. Being able in some way to upgrade that outpost, eventually change it from extraction to something else etc... Would all be good stuff but doesn't appear to be possible. Saying that what is the point of an extraction outpost with no market? Miners go from mining to a market.. An extraction outpost without a market is just... space bumfluff.

Top Bottom