How important is this game for mass vr uptake?

50m odd users installed, no idea on psvr sales but.. no real killer vr games on PC or console. Could this be the game that gets people buying into vr on mass?

i had loads in mind to say but I'm on my phone and it's a pain to type, let's get into this though. I think it could be the seminal game for psvr and peak interest in vr in general. If for no other reason than shear number of PS4 owners, if it really took off could it "legitimise" vr as the next thing?

Last edited:
Elite Dangerous with VR is a experience in itself, however the Elite Dangerous game is a game which is not for the masses... it mainly appeals to people who have enjoyment out of leveling up... while enjoying all the experiences along the way.
Group involvement is the real motivator in this game!! The PSVR is a added bonus if you happen to own one

With the PC version of Elite i think the additional tools and access to web-based trading tool's will possibly have one Trading blindly, and finding commodities very diffucult.... unless the PS4 Elite Dangerous version has a method of quick searching commodities(this will be one of the diffuculties with PS4 Elite Dangerous IMO

Elite Dangerous with VR is a experience in itself, however the Elite Dangerous game is a game which is not for the masses... it mainly appeals to people who have enjoyment out of leveling up... while enjoying all the experiences along the way.
Group involvement is the real motivator in this game!! The PSVR is a added bonus if you happen to own one

With the PC version of Elite i think the additional tools and access to web-based trading tool's will possibly have one Trading blindly, and finding commodities very diffucult.... unless the PS4 Elite Dangerous version has a method of quick searching commodities(this will be one of the diffuculties with PS4 Elite Dangerous IMO

I Belive some of the tools for trading are avaliable for Tablets as well so since these do directly access the Elite Servers there should be no problem to use trading tools in parallel to the playstation.

How do ppl on xbox get on, use a second screen. (Don't own the game but want it on PS4)

My guess is there is usually a group leader, assuming your in a group/wing and the group leader accesses web information concerning Trade information, and shares it with the group.... i suppose likewise with the PS4.
Once again group involvement will make the game more enjoyable!!

I Belive some of the tools for trading are avaliable for Tablets as well so since these do directly access the Elite Servers there should be no problem to use trading tools in parallel to the playstation.

while its true, theres probably trading tools accessible via Mobile albiet the web, the problem one will have in the context of PSVR is the helmet has to come off and view the mobile app.. type data etc etc

whereas on a PC many tools are configured and intergrated via Voice Commands.. adding the extra accessability to online Data even whilst the VR system is still on ones Head

Nevertheless i shouldnt knock the PS4 version given it should be better than the xbox version, and for those who spend the time to experience the game in General will appreciate the community they get involved with

Last edited:

What is leveling up in Elite dangerous? I haven't seen any yet and been playing since gamma over 2 years ago.

What is leveling up in Elite dangerous? I haven't seen any yet and been playing since gamma over 2 years ago.

Leveling up ships,engineering mods, elite status and federation/empire for the added bonuses and the like
but you knew that already!

Last edited:
Leveling up ships,engineering mods, elite status and federation/empire for the added bonuses and the like
but you knew that already!

I wouldn't call any of that leveling up like a traditional MMORPG at all. Elite status doesn't give you anything. I see these as achievements, not levels as they don't give you anything. Fed/Empire rank is purely optional and not needed to get to the next bit of the game, so again not a real level experience, and I am very happy in my sidewinder.

Having an Annaconda or any other ships doesn't open the game world up to you, so again it isn't leveling. Engineers is purely optional as well so again it isn't leveling.

No this isn't a game about levels. It is a game about options and choices, choosing your own goals and how you go about them. If you make getting one of the big ships your goals then go for it. It isn't mine. If getting your Elite ranking is one of your goals, again go for it, it isn't mine and the same goes for Navy ranks.

Everything you can do in an Annaconda I can do in my sidewinder, I can trade, fight and explore, and that includes travelling to Beagles Point if I want to (its been done).

A leveling game is a game when you need to get to the next level otherwise you can't survive the next bit of the game. ED has none of that.

Not sure if i understand it..

But, finding trade commodities with third party software works exactly the same as on PC. We Use EDDB, or what ever you prefer.

If you have any questions regarding Elite on Consoles, ask away. I might be able to answer them.

Regarding VR, if this is done right, Elite on PS4 will be indeed a major thing for VR.

And dont forget end 2017 when the Xbox Scorpio will release. Frontier would be crazy not to optimize Elite for Scorpio with VR support. The future is bright for Elite Dangerous. Can't wait.

Elite status doesn't give you anything.
Jameson Memorial is pretty nice. All modules at 15% discount makes refitting very painless.
Likewise Elite status means missions can payout more (along with being allied), which can be significant vs a neutral + Harmless CMDR.

A leveling game is a game when you need to get to the next level otherwise you can't survive the next bit of the game. ED has none of that.
Kinda true. But "levelling" through ship upgrades and/or engineers makes the content easier to handle. For example instead of running from a wing in a RES site in your sidewinder, you just laugh, tank, and blow them away in your Python.

It's not MMORPG levelling, but it is levelling via gear. Say old pen and paper RPG games which didn't have levels like DnD, but gear made you a "higher level".

Using a second screen (tablet, laptop etc) is best for 3rd party tools, but since playing VR on PC I find it tricky to use these. I'm pretty comfortable with the game so there's much less I need to refer to now, but yeah, I could see PSVR being more immersive, but less optimal from a gaming-the-game perspective.

It's probably too niche to make a mass VR uptake impact, but as a proper and established game, it could be very useful to show PSVR isn't just a kids toy compared to the "proper" PC headsets.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call any of that leveling up like a traditional MMORPG at all. Elite status doesn't give you anything. I see these as achievements, not levels as they don't give you anything. Fed/Empire rank is purely optional and not needed to get to the next bit of the game, so again not a real level experience, and I am very happy in my sidewinder.

Having an Annaconda or any other ships doesn't open the game world up to you, so again it isn't leveling. Engineers is purely optional as well so again it isn't leveling.

No this isn't a game about levels. It is a game about options and choices, choosing your own goals and how you go about them. If you make getting one of the big ships your goals then go for it. It isn't mine. If getting your Elite ranking is one of your goals, again go for it, it isn't mine and the same goes for Navy ranks.

Everything you can do in an Annaconda I can do in my sidewinder, I can trade, fight and explore, and that includes travelling to Beagles Point if I want to (its been done).

Seriously Max Factor, your argument about not leveling up is purely non-sense!! to suggest you can do everything without leveling up lol,
making the argument about:
1 elite status gives you nothing? founders world permit and an extra 2.5% added discount in every station for ships ring any bells?
2 Navy ranks are optional! but are required for empire/federation to give access to cutter/courier/clipper also the Fed assualt ship/dropship/gunship/corvette

if one wishes to remain limited in their scope ... then yes.. opt for trading and fighting in the sidewinder... im sure one can excel doing things that way lol

as far as comparison of Sidewinder to anaconda
and one cannot have a fighter bay in a sidewinder... that requires another level of ship!! *winks

Last edited:
Seriously Max Factor, your argument about not leveling up is purely non-sense!! to suggest you can do everything without leveling up lol,
making the argument about:
1 elite status gives you nothing? founders world permit and an extra 2.5% added discount in every station for ships ring any bells?
2 Navy ranks are optional! but are required for empire/federation to give access to cutter/courier/clipper also the Fed assualt ship/dropship/gunship/corvette

if one wishes to remain limited in their scope ... then yes.. opt for trading and fighting in the sidewinder... im sure one can excel doing things that way lol

as far as comparison of Sidewinder to anaconda
and one cannot have a fighter bay in a sidewinder... that requires another level of ship!! *winks

1. Doesn't really mean much to me. Oh a permit with a discount. Again, it is pretty meaningless as you can get a better discount elsewhere within the game.
2. Yes navy ranks are required for certain ships, but those ships are purely optional, again not necessary to play any part of the game.

Just because getting certain ships make things really easy doesn't necessarily make it more fun.

Sorry but that is not leveling and it never will be.

As I said it is a game about options. YOU choose to fly whatever ship/s you want to. There is nothing in the game that forces you to do that. It is a choice you make for yourself.

In LOTRO or WoW for instance, leveling is forced on you whether you like it or not to be able to do the next bit of the game. That is a level based game. ED is not, it is an options game.

I have been playing for two years and my main ships are my Cobra MK4, Keelback and my Vulture. Are these better ships then my sidewinder and Eagle, sure they are, but they are not mandatory to play the game or to experience any part of the game like levels are in a traditional MMORPG.

If this was a level based game, getting the Anaconda, Cutter or Corevette with all grade 5 mods should be the pinacle of the game. It is not. That is a choice for people to make for themselves.

It's the same with Engineers. I have very few upgrades as I don't really need them. I dabble from time to time when I have the materials. Again all optional.

This is the least level based game I have ever played in my life (I have played a lot of games), and that is the reason why I like it. Nothing forces me to get the next big ship, so I can do the next big part of the game. I can play pretty much how I want to, in whatever ship I like.

You can treat it like a level based game if you want to, striving for the next big ship, the next naval rank or elite status, but again that is your choice. It is not forced upon you ever.

Jameson Memorial is pretty nice. All modules at 15% discount makes refitting very painless.
Likewise Elite status means missions can payout more (along with being allied), which can be significant vs a neutral + Harmless CMDR.

YOu can get better discounts elsewhere.

Kinda true. But "levelling" through ship upgrades and/or engineers makes the content easier to handle. For example instead of running from a wing in a RES site in your sidewinder, you just laugh, tank, and blow them away in your Python.

It's not MMORPG levelling, but it is levelling via gear. Say old pen and paper RPG games which didn't have levels like DnD, but gear made you a "higher level".

But that is the thing. In ED, all of that gear is optional. It isn't mandatory. There is no real advancement in this game, just goals you give to yourself. You can call it levels, but in reality, they are not. They are just completed goals and that is it?

Using a second screen (tablet, laptop etc) is best for 3rd party tools, but since playing VR on PC I find it tricky to use these. I'm pretty comfortable with the game so there's much less I need to refer to now, but yeah, I could see PSVR being more immersive, but less optimal from a gaming-the-game perspective.

It's probably too niche to make a mass VR uptake impact, but as a proper and established game, it could be very useful to show PSVR isn't just a kids toy compared to the "proper" PC headsets.

I play in VR, but before VR i never used any 3rd party tools. Probably the reason I have such few credits to my name, but that doesn't really bother me too much.

Could this be the game that gets people buying into vr on mass?

Are you asking if ED is going to make people buy lots of HMD sets provided on something dense? Or simply that lots of them will be sold on the day of a major religious gathering?

Last edited:
To come back to the original topic...

It seems that quit a lot of people hope for E:D VR in 2017 since they just vorted it to be most anticipated Cross Platform Port for PS4 VR on reddit...

I´m personally playing Elite on an iMAC running W10 and use TRINUS VR with my iPhone right now, i started to switch to PSVR for Trinus but still face a minor glitch ( Everyting works but for some reason SteamVR does not Render the 3D View... )

From what is saw on my PS4 (not pro) playing EVE and BF X-Wing Mission. Both games are superior compared to my actuall setup for Elite so I personaly think that E:D in VR on PSVR might really bring this to the masses ( since the invest for people having a PS4 is quit low compared to a PC + Rift or Hive ).

For a game like ELITE wich is played Sitting, the Hive or Rift would not be any advantage compared to the PSVR. For me Tracking works perfectly ( and i am used to have a TrackIR 4pro for 2D Play ).

Can´t wait for Elite to release on PS4 ( and even more so if it supports PSVR and the Trustmaster Hotas 4 )

To come back to the original topic...

It seems that quit a lot of people hope for E:D VR in 2017 since they just vorted it to be most anticipated Cross Platform Port for PS4 VR on reddit...

I´m personally playing Elite on an iMAC running W10 and use TRINUS VR with my iPhone right now, i started to switch to PSVR for Trinus but still face a minor glitch ( Everyting works but for some reason SteamVR does not Render the 3D View... )

From what is saw on my PS4 (not pro) playing EVE and BF X-Wing Mission. Both games are superior compared to my actuall setup for Elite so I personaly think that E:D in VR on PSVR might really bring this to the masses ( since the invest for people having a PS4 is quit low compared to a PC + Rift or Hive ).

For a game like ELITE wich is played Sitting, the Hive or Rift would not be any advantage compared to the PSVR. For me Tracking works perfectly ( and i am used to have a TrackIR 4pro for 2D Play ).

Can´t wait for Elite to release on PS4 ( and even more so if it supports PSVR and the Trustmaster Hotas 4 )

I can confirm the pro makes vr a more solid experience, things just seem more phisycal if that makes sense? As for the tracking standing up there is probably a 1.5 sq/m box on the psvr I have a couple of standing games that work really well with it.
Although as you said Elite is a sit down game so all the better!

Are you asking if ED is going to make people buy lots of HMD sets provided on something dense? Or simply that lots of them will be sold on the day of a major religious gathering?

Seriously, what's your point mate? Nobody likes a pedant.

Top Bottom