how is the game now

I definitely agree with the lack of communication. And yes, that leads to the feeling that the game is given up on early. I have the same feeling and I can say that it has nothing to do with lack of DLCs. It just feels like the hype didn't play out for Frontier as expected and instead of working on its potential and fixing what is missing, it feels like they are just tiptoeinng around the mood and keep a low profile (lack of communication / roadmap, no honest "this can't be added" etc.
Also, I feel like there wasn't enough pre-planning and getting to know the player base. If diving is so difficult to implement, maybe the build was never build on the right engine. People love diving animals like penguins and otters in the game. And the way the DLCs are structured isn't really fitting for a zoo game.
Too much is copyed 1:1 from Planet Coaster (who needs a hat fantastic in a zoo?) and on the other hand we are limited too much to conservation and (careful, unpopular opinion ahead) have too little option for theming our zoo. Or even make a realistic backstage area. This game still hasn't decided if it is the zoo game it should be, or if it's a wildlife park simulator. I can drive jeeps to my carnivore enclosures, but can't use gates (like in JWE) to manage breeding and keep males and females separate or isolate ill animals that way. But that's the techniques that are needed in a zoo. Not a jeep throuh the lion habitat.

It's the lack of communication that worries, because we don't know if they are willing to re-think concepts or just give up on the game early.

That said, Frontier proved in the past that they listen to feedback a lot, so the worries can very well turn out to nonsense. I don't think so atm, but I hope so. All in all I wish there where less zoopedia facts and "look at that Screenshot!" but more "look what we are working on". Kind of like dev diaries, just a little less marketing and more honesty. (I'm getting more and more salty with the "every animal is unique" thing as time progresses,I admit. I love this game, but the honeymoon phase is long over)

While I love the game I admit, I was hoping for new features to be added in dlcs or updates in between them, not just animals and scenery (although thse are important). And I know we got lots of awesome changes in the free patches before the dlcs, but the features are more like new tabs for management and I guess what I was hoping for are actual things for your zoo - playgrounds for kids, animal guides, more things from nature that guests can view in your zoo besides animals (greenhouses with rare flora, mineral deposits, annual rings from trees, extinc animal skeletons, etc...), aviaries,... there is just so much potential this game could be, but I fear like the dlcs will just keep adding largee mammals and building pieces.

While I am excited for any new dlcs, I know that after it is out we will just wait for another 3 months without anything and it will keep repeating like this. Maybe these things will come who knows, but right now I agree that between the dlcs its very quiet. Just some updates on the development would be enough, it would not even need to be anything specific.

Last edited:
Was working on a new area in my zoo, weather changed
  • crocs were sitting on, instead of swimming in the water...again.
  • it was snowing inside my buildings....again.
  • people showed that they are freezing, at least in a visual appearance...sorry folks...no proper clothing in this game for you....just funny hats...

Nothing that did not happened before, nothing serious, but it annoyed me this tiny little bit to much.

I admit. I love this game, but the honeymoon phase is long over)

Yes...I also love the game
And to keep love in a relationship, you have sometimes to go outside and take a breath.

.....so I hit ALT-F4

I had quite a long break and when I came back I felt much better about things. I’m lucky not to have had bugs and for me the game really has endless possibilities.

We really don’t know what is planned for the future but we do know that a DLC is due pretty soon. I’m constantly checking forums and social media and when I get an alert and it’s a fun fact about tortoises I admit it’s a bit frustrating but we do need to be patient I guess.

I suggested it in another thread but I think a good idea would be to have a monthly release of an animal and a plant or object. It could be something easy to release like a similar animal or even something completely different. Surely that wouldn’t be too difficult and some of the releases would essentially be re-skins.

I know some people resent paying for things but I would happily pay an appropriate price and it would be a nice regular surprise to look forward to and maybe keep up enthusiasm during the quiet times.

Well, the game and me have a break from each other currently, but the problems that lead to this break still need to be fixed, to let us celebrate our 10 years aniversary one day ;)

Edit: While I'm always happy for new animals and scenery, I guess what I miss now is new features. I'm in a creative low with building and for me the game doesn't offer enough to "just" hit play and manage my zoo.

I just started playing again at the beginning of the week after around 6-7 months of not playing.

I stopped back when there was serious issues with some bugs related to animals escaping from completely secure enclosures and guests getting stuck at apparantly random places on perfect good paths because I got tired of fighting those 2 particular bugs.
Then, when I tried to start playing again a few months ago, those two issues were definitely resolved (at least for me) but I had new issues related to the game hanging and never exiting properly when I exited it as well as ridiculously long load times. So I put it aside again.

I can happily say all of the above issues are now resolved, for me, and I've played a good 30+ hours of a new franchise zoo this week without any hitches. I'm happy with the game again. Mind you, originally I had no issues with any of the bugs various people complained about and played a good 700 hours of this game before a patch brought the above issues I mention and ruined it for me. So, I feel like I already got far more than the value of what I spent on it (i.e. I'm pretty forgiving of that 6-7 month period where I didn't play).

I'm really liking the new (ish) difficulty settings that let me play on Medium and not have to deal with the single most annoying thing in the game (to me) that wasn't a bug...and that's the constant need to cycle enrichment toys in habitats. On Medium they don't get bored with toys, thank god!

Overall, I'm glad I restarted playing and am having fun again. I don't have performance issues (and never have) with big zoos, no glitches to talk about in the current build are effecting me. But, ymmv....some people still have bug issues. Heck, based on past experience, I may again too if they break something with a new patch again. Regardless, I'll have enjoyed the massive amount of hours I have played up to that point though.

Top Bottom