HUD display / more realistic feel, please!

I love Elite, but I always found the HUD and info a bit too "gamey". It's the way it looks. Too crisp clear.

I am also not too fond of the hologram HUD. It would be much cooler if you had physical screens in the ship you looked for information. Also maybe more 2d images to save CPU / battery on the ships. Stuff that look it could take a beating.

Also with this style every ship would feel very different since the layout of where to find stuff would be in different locations in the cockpit. Now every ship feel very much the same inside since every hologram is also the same.
Think a bit Star Wars (the old movies) where you saw weapon tracking on a screen in front of you. Using helmet HUD should of course work but it would have to look like it came from your helmet / visor.

I don't want too much HUD cludder / info on the screen. I can find info from my ship's computer. Much more immersive and cool.

Also the game seems to go in a direction of too much hand helding: telling everything you have to do and explain in detail what everything is. Finding stuff out for yourself is part of the fun.
Do we really need to have the information screen tell us that "bounty mission" when we choose to fly to a distress call signal? or "pirate mission" when we fly towards a convoy signal?

Also the game seems to go in a direction of too much hand helding: telling everything you have to do and explain in detail what everything is. Finding stuff out for yourself is part of the fun.
Do we really need to have the information screen tell us that "bounty mission" when we choose to fly to a distress call signal? or "pirate mission" when we fly towards a convoy signal?
Lol. Go do a 'Disable Turrets' mission (without looking up how to do it first & tell us how the game hand-holds too much :) )

Or else help this guy who's been trying to land on a planet for the last week

Lol. Go do a 'Disable Turrets' mission (without looking up how to do it first & tell us how the game hand-holds too much :) )

What you talk about is how the intuitive game is. It has nothing to do with having more immersive HUD / realistic look.
Right now the game is also too much browsing through menu's style to find what you want. That is also why he had trouble finding out how to deploy the SRV. It should have clickable buttons in the cockpit / mapping more shortcuts to your keyboard.
But I guess it's like this since it is on consoles too.

Sorry, but if the guy needed 250 attempt to land on a base station this game is not for him. There are also in game tutorials showing you how to do stuff. As well on youtube.

The game should have like this "flight school" tutorial before you could enter the open play.

It's the way it looks. Too crisp clear.

I've always felt most of the lines were thicker than needed, which negatively impacts some elements, and generally hasn't been clear enough.

If I were designing a real world HUD for real world use in any vaugely similar scenario, it would be considerably more crisp and clear than what I can get out of ED.

Took all of five minutes to figure out how to do these during the Horizons beta.

Some people are beyond help.

Right now the game is also too much browsing through menu's style to find what you want.

I do agree with this.

I love Elite, but I always found the HUD and info a bit too "gamey". It's the way it looks. Too crisp clear.

I am also not too fond of the hologram HUD. It would be much cooler if you had physical screens in the ship you looked for information. Also maybe more 2d images to save CPU / battery on the ships. Stuff that look it could take a beating.

Also with this style every ship would feel very different since the layout of where to find stuff would be in different locations in the cockpit. Now every ship feel very much the same inside since every hologram is also the same.
Think a bit Star Wars (the old movies) where you saw weapon tracking on a screen in front of you. Using helmet HUD should of course work but it would have to look like it came from your helmet / visor.

I don't want too much HUD cludder / info on the screen. I can find info from my ship's computer. Much more immersive and cool.

Actually, not too bad an idea...

I'd rather keep it optional though, not everyone, including me would use that function.

Top Bottom