I am fed up with this "next generation" marketing. (Ranty rant)

All console makers and many game developers always talk about how their console/game is next generation. These "next generation" games are really just have a couple of new features, slightly better textures, microtransactions (How could I live without them?) and even more shaders. It seems that console maker companies only use "next generation" to make people think that the new product is superior to their current one, so they must buy it. At launch, these "next generation" consoles just come with a generic game of popular franchise with better graphics and some other games that nobody really wants, while the older console has hundreds of games to choose form.

You might be buying a "next generation" console with better hardware, but that does not mean that you will get better gameplay. Plus, buying the consoles at launch is a waste of money as they cost more, and have a tiny selection of games. Buying them later is cheaper and gives you more games to choose from.

the reason I hate the "next gen" tagline is that it's not next gen it's old gen, 5 year old pc parts cobbled together with a yearly subscription and basic os.

the reason I hate the "next gen" tagline is that it's not next gen it's old gen, 5 year old pc parts cobbled together with a yearly subscription and basic os.

Exactly. By the way, computers do not reproduce and have children, so using the word "next gen" is illogical as new hardware appears every month.

"What? Computers have different processing powers?" - A classmate of me.

QQo8Lr2.png

Last edited:
OP says :

You might be buying a "next generation" console with better hardware, but that does not mean that you will get better gameplay

Then post a huge image about how PCs are more powerful!

Ok!

Mate I just play the fun games, doesn't matter where it is.

OP says :

Then post a huge image about how PCs are more powerful!

Ok!

Mate I just play the fun games, doesn't matter where it is.

My point is that the console companies use better hardware as their biggest marketing point. And that image was a sarcastic joke, by the way. The only thing you get from stronger consoles is more lens flares and bloom :p

The new hardware is barely used by the we-must-make-games-faster market leading developers, which is sad. Although there are a couple good games, but not enough.

Right now the business model of many developers is Make game-> Make sequel and shut down previous servers -> continue until new console comes -> force people to buy new console -> repeat

Last edited:
My experience.
Have BF3 on PS3 and PC.
Have BF4 on PS3 and PS4 and PC.

The difference is bigger and smoother running battlefield.
But I game mostly on the PS3 online because there is our casual clan.
So I have with a few games multiplatform experiences.

Nextgen I don't care much about. It is about computation power. More of it more is possible. Only relevant if you game can put that to good use.

Example Nintendo IP no.
Large scale milsim yes AMRA

Because I have nothing with kiddy games but way bit more with milsim. So I already into as much nextgen as it gets. And the gen cycle of consoles 5 to 10years is to slow for me. Me likes PC each die shrink a nextgen with more raw compute power.

Top Bottom