Horizons I don't feel that base assault mechanics are moving in the right direction.

Hopefully I can articulate this well enough-

In the last major patch, some adjustments were made that I think pushed base combat in the wrong direction. The major one being this unusual consequence for colliding with a skimmer.

I feel this changes is working to remove an element of fun from base assaults. Other more appropriate adjustments could have been made to open paths to more styles of engagement. The reason I feel this way is because the general push was to force SRV play to be the dominant (if only) method. This choice destroys gameplay quality by removing open/sandbox/blazeyourtrail elements and replacing them with repetitive linearity.

Instead of skimmer collision causing death, they could have done a few things differently:

1. Enhanced the AI to avoid collisions. They did it with NPC ships, they should have been able to give it to skimmers as well.
  2. Increase damage of skimmers so that they pose a slight threat to ships.
  3. Spread out their spawn zones so they can't all be wiped out in one low collision pass or a single volley of rockets.

I'm not going to argue that previous skimmer combat wasn't cheesy. It was, but the fix was more cheesy.

I always enjoyed the base assaults but since 2.1 I have not had the usual missions that I used to do. No scan data ports, blow up the generator and some others, now it just seems to be blow up a skimmer or two and thats it.

What happened to all these types of missions, are they still there and I just haven't seen them, or have these types been removed altogether?

Mick. :)

I always enjoyed the base assaults but since 2.1 I have not had the usual missions that I used to do. No scan data ports, blow up the generator and some others, now it just seems to be blow up a skimmer or two and thats it.

What happened to all these types of missions, are they still there and I just haven't seen them, or have these types been removed altogether?

I've done a bunch of 'destroy the generator' missions - so they're still around at least.

They are still there. When ranking the Eurybia blue mafia for access to an engineer I did a bunch of the destroy generator ones and a couple of scan ports ones (generally all worth 1.5M+, so paid well too).

I've had some trouble locating them recently as well. The advice that seemed to help the most was to look for systems that are at war or civil unrest. The base assaults appear to be a direct result of this.

Deleted member 115407

D
I've had some trouble locating them recently as well. The advice that seemed to help the most was to look for systems that are at war or civil unrest. The base assaults appear to be a direct result of this.

I'm not 100% sure I understand the OP. People were running into them to complete these missions?

I've done a ton of these in the past few weeks -- conducting a sustained air-ground campaign in a couple of warring sectors. I locate mini-installations via POI, then take everything out with dumbfire missles.

That being said, the OP sounds concerned that FD are trying to force us unto SRVs. The mission description doesn't require an SRV, and the image is of a ship and target, so I'm not sure about that.

Running these airstrikes is my favorite mission format. Were it to go away, the game would have far less appeal for me.

FD using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, once again?

They don't have to force us to use our SRVs, driving them is fun.

My only complaint with the SRV is the relative LACK of firepower for dealing with hostiles such as shielded skimmers. I don't know if it is simply something I am doing wrong, but the guns on the SRV feel like pea shooters in terms of the damage, or more appropriately (Lack of Damage) they inflict, coupled with relatively low shield strength.

I've tried many times to take down these shielded skimmers when working a trespass zone connected to a planet side salvage mission, but almost every time, I have to resort to using my Python to take these skimmers out from the air.

Rather than this whole Engineers update, I would have much preferred if FD had continued to flesh out all the new additions of Horizons. One big one would be the ability to upgrade our SRV's capabilities while also adding additional SRV models we could buy that were better suited to specific in-game tasks such as Base Assaults and whatnot.

Last edited:

Deleted member 115407

D
My only complaint with the SRV is the relative LACK of firepower for dealing with hostiles such as shielded skimmers. I don't know if it is simply something I am doing wrong, but the guns on the SRV feel like pea shooters in terms of the damage, or more appropriately (Lack of Damage) they inflict, coupled with relatively low shield strength.

I've tried many times to take down these shielded skimmers when working a trespass zone connected to a planet side salvage mission, but almost every time, I have to resort to using my Python to take these skimmers out from the air.

Rather than this whole Engineers update, I would have much preferred if FD had continued to flesh out all the new additions of Horizons. One big one would be the ability to upgrade our SRV's capabilities while also adding additional SRV models we could buy that were better suited to specific in-game tasks such as Base Assaults and whatnot.

I have a feeling there will be some ground transportation developments sometime in the future.

I've been finding that mission types are much more SYSTEM/STATION specific than they ever were in previous version of the game. For awhile I was getting a good number of planet side salvage mission and similar at my home system of Altair, but over a few days they basically vanished from the board, and now I never see them. The payout $$ was really high too which was nice.

Since then, I have visited some other systems in the area and found that specific stations or outposts were still offering these mission types, although the reward amounts were much, much lower than what I was getting at Altair. But my point is that you can likely still find the mission types you like best by hopping around a bit more and checking out systems and stations you haven't frequented previously.

The other upside to this is that you will build your REP with a new group of mission givers. The payouts are not likely to be nearly as good as what you may have been getting from your preferred systems, but at least you will once again get to do your favorite mission types again! :)

Deleted member 115407

D
I've been finding that mission types are much more SYSTEM/STATION specific than they ever were in previous version of the game. For awhile I was getting a good number of planet side salvage mission and similar at my home system of Altair, but over a few days they basically vanished from the board, and now I never see them. The payout $$ was really high too which was nice.

Since then, I have visited some other systems in the area and found that specific stations or outposts were still offering these mission types, although the reward amounts were much, much lower than what I was getting at Altair. But my point is that you can likely still find the mission types you like best by hopping around a bit more and checking out systems and stations you haven't frequented previously.

The other upside to this is that you will build your REP with a new group of mission givers. The payouts are not likely to be nearly as good as what you may have been getting from your preferred systems, but at least you will once again get to do your favorite mission types again! :)

As far as I can tell, it's all about war, or pending war.

As far as I can tell, it's all about war, or pending war.

Good point! I forgot to mention that aspect as well.

Altair has been going through a series of political changes lately, and the missions being offered do seem to change based on the STATE of the system. But one odd thing, is that I believe the current state is where it was when 2.1 and the new mission board was released, yet the high paying missions and mission types I was really enjoying back then have failed to return. ??

I have a feeling there will be some ground transportation developments sometime in the future.

I sure hope so!

I feel they totally missed the boat in regards to the whole SRV feature. I have not met anyone that plays ED that does not like the SRV addition, yet FD hasn't done anything with the feature since 2.0 was released. Instead they are putting all their energy into another feature that the majority of the community doesn't like, and few are even bothering with.

Expanding the SRV fleet and surface based mission etc. would be a much better use of their time, and I doubt the community would be anything but excited about getting access to a wider range of surface vehicles, coupled with the ability to customize and upgrade those vehicles in the same way we can with our ships.

Again... A HUGE opportunity for expanded gameplay and value additions to Horizons that Frontier has totally ignored in exchange for Engineers.

Last edited:
FD are too in love with their SRV, they feel the need to make people use it, even if they have to create magic fairytale mechanics in order to do it.

Unfurtunately my capability for suspension of disbelief only goes up to a certain point, so I avoid planetary missions like the plague.

Maybe one day we have planetary bombardment missions, or base defence missions, air superiority, air strikes, etc.

For now, I'd rather do anything else but base raids in their current form.

Last edited:

Deleted member 115407

D
FD are too in love with their SRV, they feel the need to make people use it, even if they have to create magic fairytale mechanics in order to do it.

Unfurtunately my capability for suspension of disbelief only goes up to a certain point, so I avoid planetary missions like the plague.

Maybe one day we have planetary bombardment missions, or base defence missions, air superiority, air strikes, etc.

Airstrikes exist. I use airstrikes to complete skimmer missions and generator missions. I hope to see more missions like these (and the ones you mentioned) in the future.

Funny story -- I was testing the generator thing last few missions, and I couldn't get the mission to complete. I thought "Ah, I guess it doesn't work." Then I realized I'd been hitting the wrong settlement :D

Like I said, if they were to remove the capability to conduct these kinds of airstrikes, the game would lose a lot of appeal for me.

I also concur that the SRV doesn't do it for me as a combat vehicle. Infiltration, exploration, yeah sure. I'm all about it. But as far as combat goes, I'm unable to suspend my disbelief (and I also feel less stress and excitement than I do with airstrikes).

Last edited by a moderator:

I think some people want to hate FDev so much, that they begin *inventing* reasons for them to hate them.

I sure hope so!

I feel they totally missed the boat in regards to the whole SRV feature. I have not met anyone that plays ED that does not like the SRV addition, yet FD hasn't done anything with the feature since 2.0 was released. Instead they are putting all their energy into another feature that the majority of the community doesn't like, and few are even bothering with.

Expanding the SRV fleet and surface based mission etc. would be a much better use of their time, and I doubt the community would be anything but excited about getting access to a wider range of surface vehicles, coupled with the ability to customize and upgrade those vehicles in the same way we can with our ships.

Again... A HUGE opportunity for expanded gameplay and value additions to Horizons that Frontier has totally ignored in exchange for Engineers.

They did a ton for the SRV in Engineers. Planetside driving isn't a slide-show anymore. Tire tracks. Improved wave scanner. Improved POIs. Spaceships randomly buzzing around not doing anything? Well, maybe that last one's kind of a wash...

The framerate's the big one, though -- it was basically unusable in 2.0

They could have just made it so Skimmers attack ships and do damage? instead of making colision with a tiny drone make your ship go crazy

Back
Top Bottom