Ideas for Smaller Species

In his video for 6 improvements, Best in Slots suggested making exhibits displaying smaller dinosaurs like Compsognathus or Microceratops (you say Apatosaurus, I say Brontosaurus), an idea already implemented in Zoo Tycoon 2013 and Planet Zoo. Do you guys have any alternatives? How about making them bigger for the Creation Lab?

I don't think upscaling is the way to go. Because you'd need to scale them up so much that it would look weird. But I don't think the current way that the game is set up there is room for these small dinosaurs in the game. As it is right now, having specific buildings dedicated to small dinosaurs wouldn't make much sense since you can't view them up close very well outside the photo mode.
I think what the game is missing for this to work, is a first person visitor mode. I think this should be added regardless of any other features. But if you could walk around the park on foot in first person, then you could view buildings up close as well. In that scenario it could make sense to have a building that holds compys or Microceratus since you could view them up close if there was like a big window on the outside. I don't think moving around inside buildings will ever happen in this game though.

Also, Microceratops is just an invalid name. It's called Microceratus now. Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus are both valid and different animals, so that doesn't compare.

I appreciate your technical points, but I’m not really convinced about the Bronty revival, Trilobite. It’s more like the pop sci that keeps money in the press’s pockets and nothing more. Ask Donald Prothero. As for species without any size issues at all, my choices are Amargasaurus, Antarctopelta, Concavenator, Cryolophosaurus, Diabloceratops, Dryosaurus, Edmontonia, Einiosaurus, Lambeosaurus, Megalosaurus, Minmi, Nasutoceratops, Oviraptor, Pachyrhinosaurus, Rajasaurus, Saichania, Shunosaurus, Therizinosaurus, Tuojiangosaurus, OR the Vivid Ankylosaurus. How about that?

I appreciate your technical points, but I’m not really convinced about the Bronty revival, Trilobite. It’s more like the pop sci that keeps money in the press’s pockets and nothing more. Ask Donald Prothero. As for species without any size issues at all, my choices are Amargasaurus, Antarctopelta, Concavenator, Cryolophosaurus, Diabloceratops, Dryosaurus, Edmontonia, Einiosaurus, Lambeosaurus, Megalosaurus, Minmi, Nasutoceratops, Oviraptor, Pachyrhinosaurus, Rajasaurus, Saichania, Shunosaurus, Therizinosaurus, Tuojiangosaurus, OR the Vivid Ankylosaurus. How about that?
There are easy to miss but clear differences in the neck vertebrae of Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus. Nothing to do with popularity. The difference is there. Now whether you want to consider it it's own genus, I suppose that's up for debate. But the difference in morphology really isn't. And the names we give things are kinda arbitrary in the first place. Nature doesn't let itself get labeled into neat little boxes. It's all a grey area, but to understand it we have to put a dividing line somewhere.

Most of the dinosaurs you list here would be pretty nice although they aren't very small. I thought this was about smaller dinosaurs. And there are still a bunch of small dinosaurs that are still big enough that could make for really nice additions to the game. People generally only really want Microceratus because it's in the canon of JP/JW. But instead it might be a better idea to have a closely related but slightly larger ceratopsian to add. Maybe one of the larger Psittacosaurus species, or perhaps Protoceratops. Those could fill in the gap left by Microceratus. And we'd have some nice small ceratopsians to play with that aren't too small.

But there are plenty of other medium small dinosaurs to choose from. Personally I'd love to see some of the smaller hadrosaurs from Europe in the game like Telmatosaurus.

How about Alioramus, Homalocephale (or Prenocephale), Panoplosaurus, Tenotosaurus, Thescleosaurus, Wuerhosaurus, or Yangchuanosaurus?
I do apologize for sounding off topic.

In his video for 6 improvements, Best in Slots suggested making exhibits displaying smaller dinosaurs like Compsognathus or Microceratops (you say Apatosaurus, I say Brontosaurus), an idea already implemented in Zoo Tycoon 2013 and Planet Zoo. Do you guys have any alternatives? How about making them bigger for the Creation Lab?

Are you talking about making vivariums for smaller dinos like compies like what we have seen in the Zoo world game Frontier is making? I think it would be a good compromise for people who really want small dinos in the game. My only thing is that in the Zoo world (I cant think whats it actually called atm) you are able to build entire buildings so you would presumably build a reptile house to place the vivarium/terrariums in. Would we just put small pens or terrariums along pathways?

Top Bottom