I'm done supporting this game.

Saw the latest live stream announcement that VR isn't being developed further for Odyssey (i.e. the "for launch" VR implementation is just their plan now for how VR will work in Odyssey forever).

As someone who's sunk over 400 hours into this game specifically because of its VR experience, I'm really disappointed, and frankly more than little annoyed. I've updated my steam review of the base game to reflect the way Frontier has compromised the experience (namely, by making VR performance worse, when they should have done the hard work and optimized it properly years ago).

I humbly suggest VR-only players follow suit.

It feels like they tried to at the beginning, saw the backlash it was starting to cause, and then hedged, hoping that the community would shrug it off and it wouldn't become a big deal.
No idea if that's true and if it is that's not done. That's hiding the truth and that's now how communication should go.

I like VR when I'm in the ship, but theater mode also works "okay-ish" for me.

I do wish I could zoom in a little or else it would be nice to swap back and forth to regular display for walking around. The text is too small to read. If I could zoom in by moving my head forward, that would be great.

I like VR when I'm in the ship, but theater mode also works "okay-ish" for me.

I do wish I could zoom in a little or else it would be nice to swap back and forth to regular display for walking around. The text is too small to read. If I could zoom in by moving my head forward, that would be great.

Is the virtual screen not fixed in 3D space? That's weird, and if so, it doesn't surprise me that people get nausious.

Is the virtual screen not fixed in 3D space? That's weird, and if so, it doesn't surprise me that people get nausious.
It is fixed - but not for the distance from your eyes. If you lean forward then the screen moves away from you - but with it being a “big” screen the distance change isn’t really enough to press the puke triggers.

It is fixed - but not for the distance from your eyes. If you lean forward then the screen moves away from you - but with it being a “big” screen the distance change isn’t really enough to press the puke triggers.
Thanks. I think I see now. So it's like sitting 10ft away from a real (big) screen, and not being able to see the words. Moving your head forward 6 inches won't make any difference anyway, regardless of whether the screen itself moves?

Thanks. I think I see now. So it's like sitting 10ft away from a real (big) screen, and not being able to see the words. Moving your head forward 6 inches won't make any difference anyway, regardless of whether the screen itself moves?
For me, it only looks maybe two feet away and almost fills my VR view, so like a 50” TV or something (so not the really big cinema-sized screens of other VR programs) - I don’t have any issues reading the text, but I have bumped up the flatscreen resolution in the settings which I think increases the clarity of the virtual flatscreen render.

It feels like they tried to at the beginning, saw the backlash it was starting to cause, and then hedged, hoping that the community would shrug it off and it wouldn't become a big deal.
Then they should not have advertised the game as this (screenshot from the official page)...
oSXgHtl.jpg

The screen view doesn't even rotate with head movement. You still need to turn yourself in fpv with the mouse, if you turn your head when on foot in Odyssey then the screen keeps the same view and you just see grey as the screen is fixed front and centre of the VR headset.

Top Bottom