General In-Game Save Option for Control Settings

Starting the game without the exact same input devices as last session seems to default all control settings. As a game that is so heavily customisable, the fact that your support site suggests "copying the Frontier Developments folder and storing it in a safe location" before major patches rather than the game having a "Save Settings" button seems pretty ing negligent.

Totally agree, been mentioned often and is the one recurring suggestion I always support. (y)

It is really baffling that F D cannot manage to code a "Save As" button in the controls settings page. 🕹

Hear hear - support for custom bindings, different devices, etc, is and always has been absolutely terrible. The fact that Frontier themselves tell us to make sure we backup our bindings before applying an update is a bit like a hi-fi manufacturer warning you to unplug your speakers before plugging in your new amplifier in case it causes them to blow up! Hardly inpires confidence.

Incidentally, just this morning I switched from using a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas to the Thrustmaster Hotas 4. Despite having identical appearance and controls the device name is different. Now luckily I anticipated this (in fact I fully expected it) so I copied my existing custom T.Flight bindings file to a new custom bindings file for the Hotas 4 before I started. Without manual editing this file is completely ignored on startup (because it uses a physical device name for a stick I no longer have plugged in) and consequently all custom bindings are lost and you're back to Frontier's suggested defaults for the Hotas 4. Luckily, once I knew the new device name, I was able to hand edit my new Hotas 4 custom bindings file so that it worked exactly as before without any need to re-bind anything in-game.

I was thinking of writing this whole bindings file process up (including how to have things like separate presets for your preferred custom binds in and out of VR). Would that be of interest to people if I did? Or ... has someone already done this? (in which case could someone bung me the link).

Top Bottom