I keep checking for items using inara but when I get there the item is not available? This has happened several times.

Inara gives an indication how old the data is it presented. If it's old, like a few days or so, chances are the item is no longer available. Depends on turnover speed for that particular type of item.

Yes, they are in high demand. ;)

Seriously though, that's strange. My own experience is that such fresh data is almost 100% reliable. (But note: almost.)

edit: Maybe it's a small station? They have maybe one in stock.

Last edited:
it said 5 mins for a 5a fuel scoop!!
Just out of curiosity - What ship are you flying?
If you are in something like a Cobra - a ship that has only the optional internals up to class 4 - you won't see a 5A fuel scoop in the outfitting, even if the station has them in stock. It only shows you the stock compatible with your current ship.

Alternatively - try EDDB.io instead of Inara

Just out of curiosity - What ship are you flying?
If you are in something like a Cobra - a ship that has only the optional internals up to class 4 - you won't see a 5A fuel scoop in the outfitting, even if the station has them in stock. It only shows you the stock compatible with your current ship.

Alternatively - try EDDB.io instead of Inara

AHHHHH that explains it then!! how do I know what will fit my ship..a cobra mk3?

but if i can have class 4 then i just checked and it says there is a 4a fuel scoop where I just left? and there wasnt. But it does say 1 day ago?

AHHHHH that explains it then!! how do I know what will fit my ship..a cobra mk3?
When you look into the optional internals in the Outfitting, there is a big number next to every compartment. That is the class of the compartment. You can look at it as "size" of that compartment (bigger number, larger compartment). The letter (from E to A) represents grade ("quality") of a module.

If you want to theory-craft your ship without the hassle of going places, the Coriolis site is great for that and it will also tell you which classes of which module you're going to need.

Still weird about the Inara, though, if it even doesn't help you with class 4 modules. Try the EDDB, like I said. Maybe the Inara is experiencing a bit of a hiccup. (It sometimes does)

If you are in the Outfitting screen, you first have to select the module slot where you want to put the thing you want to buy. Then you cn go to the actual outfitting menu and select from the available modules that can be fitted into that slot. Some slots (not the optional slots on the Cobra) are also limited to specific module types. But even so, if you are checking modules to fit into a size 2 slot, you won't see any size 4 modules. Similar, if you already have a size 2 scoop installed and are checking modules for the size 4 slots, you won't be allowed to fit a fuel scoop since you already got one.

ok i havew a 4a fuel scoop where I am but it says modu;le type limt exceeded? Do I have to remove my cargo bay and selll my 2a fuel scoop to get the 4a one? If I sell my 2a will I lose it?

I guess I thought bigger was better! I am going on a long expo and wanted as little time as possible scooping. It makes me nervous. I am still a newbie!

Its a balance between what you need ,what it costs and perhaps more of interest what else might have been more usefull in the slot so I did a fair bit of Explore in early feb with my Cobra but only on the road to riches I did about 40 specifice systems ,so exploration was secondary to my credit quest for my next ship I didnt know what to expect but took a small scoop a small afm for self repairs (not needed but you might find it usefull depending where your going) a detail surface scanner (vital for good exploration rewards) and the best shield, thrusters and FSD I could all A rated the corialis site link is really use full for planning your build but the guys here are great for spotting our beginer mis steps

I still use my Cobra only today its so nippy and agile have fun

Good advice here, and it's fun to learn stuff as you go too. Nothing wrong with a bigger fuel scoop. It will speed refueling time.
It's a trade-off as always. Would that space be better suited for you to use as cargo or something else? Both yes and no are valid answers to that question. It's your ship, after all.
Also realize that the answer to that question will inevitably evolve as your skills and as your desire for what you'd like to be doing in the game evolve.
Above all, have fun!

Happy travels...

I guess I thought bigger was better! I am going on a long expo and wanted as little time as possible scooping. It makes me nervous. I am still a newbie!

Yes when out exploring the bigger the scoop the better. When you move up in ship sizes you might find you want to initially save a bit of cash when outfitting so a B rated is almost as good for an awful lot less than an A rated scoop (scoops have no mass to inhibit your choice, same for the AFMUs). Of course credits are easy to come by these days so you wouldn't have to stick to a B one for long anyway. ;)

If you only have enough money for a small ship and you don't have any engineering, a Hauler is better for exploration because it has a lot more jump range. Even an Adder is better than a Cobra. Whichever you get, if you switch off the shields power distributor and cargo hatch as soon as you leave the station, you'll run much cooler during scooping, or when you fall into a star.

Last edited:
Top Bottom