Indoors animals differents from outdoor animals

I'm just posting because i think it's possible that the terrariums species (Iguana, Spider...) will not be part of the 50 and over species in the base game, like they will be there obviously, but the game will not consider them the same way it considers other animals.
In both gameplay reveals from Friday and Wednesday we saw the menu with the number of animals and species in the zoo (wich is the same in both reveal) and we can see there is 9 species in this zoo. If we count the outdoor animals we get the 9 species (Giraffe, Springbok, Elephant, Zebra, Wildebeest, Saltwater Crocodile, African Wild Dog, Chimpanzee and Cheetah). However, we also have the Iguana, and maybe others terrariums animals, in this zoo, but they are'nt considered as species. That may confirm what some people expected from the indoor animals.

Aknowledging that, i wonder how the terrariums animals will work. I think there is two options.
Or these animals are just like a "decoration" in the terrariums but don't really have a unique personality and genetics like other animals, don't have a name and we can only have informations from them by cliking on their exhibit but they still will have needs like we saw in the demo, but it will be more global, like it will be the needs of all the exhibits and not of each individual animal.
Or else, these animals will be individualized and we could clik on them to check their individual needs, genes, relations, name, etc... They will just be less developed than outdoors animals, and thats why the game will not consider them as species.
I think and i hope it will be more like thz second option.

Anyways, that was just a thought i had to share, sorry for my english i'm not a native englishspeaker.

If you compare the animal overview, you can see a few things that might answer the questions:
You can rename the Iguana Exhibit, but it looks like you can't name individuals.
They don't have the genetic tab or a family tree. So it seems to me, that the animals will not be individualized.

Iguana.png
Springbok.png

To be honest, it doesn't bother me that much. The terrariums look great and they seem big. The one in the background with frogs (?) seems even bigger than the ones with the Iguana.

I also don't mind if we cannot control or name each individual in a terrarium, but rather manage the terrarium as a whole. I'd love to have a giant terrarium with like 50 poison dart frogs without clogging up the menus with 50 teeny tiny frogs. However they should still count as a animal (as far as guests are concerned) and species, and towards zoo diversity.
Does anyone else find the small animal species Frontier has selected so far bizarre? The lesser antillean iguana is critically endangered, only held in a handful of zoos worldwide, and has only been successfully bred in captivity three times. And the brazilian wandering spider? It is a drab, highly venomous, aggressive species that is not commonly held in zoos or the pettrade, and likely to be of little interest to repulsive to zoo guests. Why not choose a "famous" spider like the black widow, or a beautiful one like the gooty sapphire tarantula?
My problem with treating these small species as a terrarium unit is that we likely won't be able to mix them. I would also really like to be able to control the terrarium size, to create more realistic reptile or insect houses. The terrariums seen so far are ridiculously huge for a spider, but frankly seem small for an iguana.
Where do we think Frontier will draw the line between "full" animals and "small animals". We have already seen the ring-tailed lemur as a "full" animal which at 2 kg, is quite a bit smaller than a green iguana, 6-8 kg. Many zoos display iguanas in large mesh or wire outdoor exhibits, not small glass terrariums. And rhinocerous iguanas and some other larger species can be kept in open air exhibits.
Are all small animals going to be confined to these little boxes? I was really hoping to see lots of flighted bird species, like parrots and kookaburras; something we haven't seen in any previous Zoo Tycoon games. But the joy of these species is in creating large, mixed species free-flight aviaries.

I think the next level for this would indeed be aquariums or aviaries for smaller fishs or birds. But I do hope for a more free-build option for them.

Most zoos have this jungle walktroughts in big halls with free flying birds, small monkeys, ponds with fish...
I really hope we will be able to build something like that.

I don't think what counts toward the 50+ animals is defined by size, but more by activity. A Katta is far more interestuing to watch for most people, because there is a lot of interaction. A spider normally sits soimewhere for hours without moving.

I'm actually pretty excited that the terrarium animals do not seem to be counted toward the mentioned 50+species. Because that means there is still a huuuge variety to come and this game will be even more fleshed out.

I don't ming the lesser free creativity in terrariums. However, I hope that the animals aren't just decoration and the guests will indeed be interested in them.

While the iguana menu seems to be for the exhibit overall instead of for a specific animal, perhaps the paw print tab has a list of all animals in the exhibit and that's where you can name them.

As for why they chose the Brazilian wandering spider, it could be that there are a couple of spiders in the game. That way, they can reuse the animation rig. Perhaps we might get a Gooty sapphire and perhaps a Mexican redknee tarantula

Top Bottom