Discussion Insterstellar Local News: Can I do better than EDDB for ruling faction state data?

As a side project to keep my coding skills up, I started writing a tool that would generate news stories when a system's faction moved through states. The idea was that you could go to to the Insterstellar Local News website (for version 1.0 - later versions would have other methods) and enter a system. You'd get a set of recent news stories from that system and those nearby.

As it sits now, v1.0 is about 80% done: I'm importing JSON data from EEDB, creating data structures, storing them in a DB, and then doing it again the next day, looking for changes in the faction state. If there is a change, the system grab's the system's particulars and generates a story like this:

Civil War! Telin Mobilizes as Explosions Rock Major Stations and Settlements.
Officials from Telin Focus have stated that recent attacks by a rival faction amount to 'Declaration of War.' 'We can not ignore these blatant attacks on our peace-loving citizens. We must fight to keep Telin safe.
Bonds are also being offered by Telin Focus for independent pilots and crews who contribute to the defence of Telin. The rival faction is also offering bonds in their so-called 'fight for liberation.'

Or this

Economic Growth Accelerates: Good times for Maikoro

The government of Maikoro released its economic results today, and it shows that conditions are very favourable indeed for investors. Representatives from Future of Maikoro expressed optimism that this is good news for trade.
Sources within the Industrial industry, which makes up the Maikoro system's primary economy, report that new manufacturing processes have contributed to the recent growth.
'This report validates the hard work that our citizens have done to make Maikoro one of the best places to live in the region,' commented one of these sources.

That's the good news: All I need to do to finish 1.0 work is create the web page for searching for news, write a clean-up method for old news, and find a place to host the tool.

Here's the bad news: in 19,000+ populated systems in two EDDB systems.json files about a week apart, there were FIVE new states (states ending will be a later version). Obviously, the state data isn't reliable. Am I doomed, or is there a better source?

I think it's because systems.json only records the state for the complete system - the vast majority of state changes are between non-controlling factions and therefore don't show up.

Top Bottom