Newcomer / Intro Interact with hub access terminal to use data link gets me shot at

Every time I approach any mission related suface base I am told I am trespassing and get shot at, if I continue trying to scan a data link at some terminal I continue to get fired upon.. Is this a bug? How are you supposed to complete these missions?

By surviving... ;)

Sorry - people say that the best way is to get up close and personal in a small ship and use the ship's data-point scanner.

I used to do these by taking out the turrets and skimmers in my SRV - not done one in a while, I'll load up my noob-zone account and have a try.

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
By being fast or destroying anything that opposes you. Note you don't have to survive the return trip, just scanning is enough

when you are in your SRV you will see some red squares in some area, those are restricted zones and you will be warned first, then issued a bounty for trespassing. Terminals are either public or private. Hacking a private terminal will get you wanted too.

I didnt fire back, I didnt expect to get wanted/criminal status to find out where a pirate is. Only way to find out where he is, is by scanning the terminal. Will try again :)

By surviving... ;)

Sorry - people say that the best way is to get up close and personal in a small ship and use the ship's data-point scanner.

I used to do these by taking out the turrets and skimmers in my SRV - not done one in a while, I'll load up my noob-zone account and have a try.
So you can select the turrets to target?

I just did a couple of these missions in the noob-zone - I was able to approach in the SRV with no need to enter a trespass zone.

You get a trespass warning if your ship enters the no-fly zone (2 km but not marked afaik) - just land outside it and drive the SRV in.

BTW - Yes you can target the turrets in your SRV - not sure about from ship though.

...and be careful about the missions that you accept. Installations with +++ after their name are high-security facilities that will have much tougher protection than (for example) a single +. I don't expect that you'd see (m)any of those in the starter zone, but I didn't try one of those missions that early in my career so I can't tell for sure. Still, you get the idea...

Edit: typo

Last edited:
I didnt fire back, I didnt expect to get wanted/criminal status to find out where a pirate is. Only way to find out where he is, is by scanning the terminal. Will try again :)
Just because some faction is offering to pay you to do a mission doesn't mean that everything about that mission is legal, especially if the target is in some other factions territory.

The mission description might have said something about the mission possibly being considered illegal in some places....

The scan doesn't always get you wanted, but most of the time. You will usually:
  • get a warning that you're entering a restricted area. From this point, a (invisible) timer starts running.
  • get a fine for trespassing. Second (shorter) timer starts, you still have time to boost out of the area if you want to avoid further trouble.
  • get a bounty for trespassing. Anything in the area with a gun starts shooting at you. Including the 0-3 ships docked or floating around in the area.

w71MSRz.gif

In the SRV, this gets a bit hairy. Speed, shields and environment are your allies. I just hope you parked your ship outside the line of fire of the base turrets. So - don't use the SRV. You can scan the datapoints from your ship, if you get close enough. Easy enough to do in a small ship, near impossible in an Anaconda. Just keep in mind (that's what I often forget) that you need to deploy hardpoints in order to get the datalink scanner online.
Getting out is a matter of preference. I like to use a shieldless, heavily armoured and engineered Viper. Pop some chaff while scanning, then boost off at 800 m/s. Usually (if I can avoid hitting the ground), I get away with 2% armour damage. If I can't be bothered to get the Viper transferred to whichever base I'm operating out of this day, I need to use my general purpose Krait. Much slower, no chaff - but tough shields. Tough enough to simply ignore the base defenses until I'm out of range.

Of course you can also pre-emptively shut down (generators) or shoot down the turrets (and, if present, patrolling ships), but that would significantly increase your bounty (and, in the case of ships, burden you with notoriety). I wouldn't recommend it.

I just did a couple of these missions in the noob-zone - I was able to approach in the SRV with no need to enter a trespass zone.

You get a trespass warning if your ship enters the no-fly zone (2 km but not marked afaik) - just land outside it and drive the SRV in.

BTW - Yes you can target the turrets in your SRV - not sure about from ship though.
You can drive an SRV in ?? Wow.. I will look into that. Sounds very cool.

There are sometimes alternative routes to the terminal by climbing walls and jumping gates, etc.

if it's a normal scan mission, you line up with the beacon from just outside the red fence, then go straight in, scan and reverse out, then keep going full speed in reverse until you're clear. it's best to dismiss your ship, so your SRV gets blown up, you'll be safely back in your ship in orbit ready to go back to base. Once you have completed the scan, you can't lose the data. Consider the SRV a disposable asset, like ammo.

Last edited:
Or, if it's a base without ships patrolling and you're using a respectable ship yourself, fly straight at it, carpet - dakka all the defenses, land and go leisurely scan amidst the smoldering wreckage that used to be a base. :devilish:

Post edit: No, I'm not exactly subtle in my approach, I know. This is my way. At least it makes it easy to follow my trail ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom