Dinosaurs General Gameplay Introduce the enrichment need and items for our dinosaurs

The game has grown a bit in terms of dinosaur complexity, but I think the game could do with the introduction of the enrichment need and enrichment items.

Now there is a theme of how the enrichment items should be handled. It should feel very natural to the dinosaur's environment. When it comes to these items, it will be very distracting to see something of a high color and plastic look to be kept in these exhibits, but I think they will add a variety to what each exhibit has in order to make them stick out from one another, and another reason to keep the dinosaurs in their exhibits to avoid discomfort and escape by sheer boredom.

I am also blending in the hunt need to the enrichment need so that we have multiple options for our carnivores, and both needs are primarily a means to entertain the creature to prevent them from breaking out sooner.

Here are some rules:
• The items should not move: no balls, no remote control, they have to be stationary to avoid moments where the items would move and end up out of reach of the dinosaurs and become a hassle for players to bring back to a spot where dinosaurs could throw them again.
• There could more be multiple items per family, but there has to be at least one item per family.

Here are some ideas we could use and how they could be applied to these dinosaurs.

• Bone pile:
Initially, I was thinking that there should be a large tire for carnivores to use, however, the large tire would not blend as well to the environment and could be tossed around. Carnivores, both predators and scavengers, would love the opportunity to start cracking down on some bones to keep them engaged. This will be beneficial to the animation, as a carnivore would move their head down and pull out a bone respective to their size. So a troodon would pick a small bone, while a T-rex would grab the large femur. Plus, the layout of the bone pile would allow for multiple predators to use at the same time. Allowing a lot of them to satisfy their needs without relying on multiple bone piles and lower the chances of breakouts in a pack of large carnivores.
This enrichment item would need to be restocked by the rangers, and would deplete based on the carnivore's size.

• Prey options:
Here is the obvious way to keep carnivores entertained, with prey options. This could be done with the existing fish feeders, goats, and prey dinosaurs. I do think we could also introduce cows and pigs in order for them to be additional options for carnivores with variations of what they prefer to be the most enriching. The spinosaurus may prefer fish, the T-rex would love to chow on a goat, the giganotosaurus could go for a cow, and the velociraptor would chase down a pig. Guests may count as well as an enrichment item, but guests are not items...
Unless it is a dinosaur or guest, these would need to be restocked by the ranger team.

• Dead hollow log, rock platform, thick bush:
This is an option for the small carnivores. As they are not the biggest of dinosaurs, they may prefer to scout their areas and look around their exhibits. Most small carnivores are either scavengers or highly intelligent, so their curiosity would make the most out of this and keep them entertained.

• Gastrolith rock pile:
Herbivores such as sauropods and other grazers, are noted to have small rocks in their stomachs to help them digest vegetation. By simply having this small rock pile, herbivores could go and have a bit of pebbles in their stomach. I thought this could be a one and done deal, but as the game could pass 100 years for these dinosaurs, it would make sense if the herbivores would restock their gastroliths from time to time. Would be the least priority if other options are available.
Would need to be restocked by the ranger team.

• Large boulder/giant tree:
This large boulder would be a rubbing aid for some of the large herbivores in the game, such as the sauropods, stegosaurus, ceratopsids, and hadrosaurs. The large boulder would help these herbivores get that itch that has been bothering them without having their weight destroy the enrichment item. Giant carnivores may like it too.
No need for ranger upkeep.

• Large dead tree/bush:
The large dead tree would be another option for your herbivores to scratch with, however, the giant carnivores and sauropods could not use them due to their weight. It will benefit the smaller exhibits as it won't take up as large of a space like the boulder. Plus having it be a dead tree would blend in to multiple environments.

• Sand and shale tool:
Simply use the sand or shale tool in your exhibit. Your ceratopsids would love the dust and shale bath. Would recommend introducing the sand or shale tools to the challenge mode maps to make the most of this.

• Dead stump.
Your ceratopsids, stegosaurus, and ankylosaurs would like to use this to sharpen and clean their horns and armor. It may also act as a scentry post to your small carnivores. Carnivores like the carnotaurus, and ceratosaurus may want to use these to sharpen their horns.

• Dummy:
The only artificial thing on this list, and for good reason, as it will make the pachycephalosauridae, Iguanodon, and armored herbivores attack it due to it's odd looks and structure. Carnivores won't bash the dummy, except for the carnotaurus! And maybe the ceratosaurus too...
The ranger team would need to be sent out to repair the dummy every now and then.

• Substrate pile:
An enrichment option for the hadrosaurs and small herbivores. This is a means for the small herbivores to be engaged by digging, sifting, and looking for their food. It won't fill their hunger need as much, but it will keep them engaged to look for the odd snack. Small carnivores such as proceratosaurus, troodon, and compsognathus may find this enriching as well.
Would need to be restocked by the ranger team.

So far, these are what I could think of and would be enough options to make the exhibits feel more different from each other, as it will allow dinosaurs to enjoy new options in their exhibits. Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely yes. noises of affirmation

The bone pile is an excellent idea, especially large carnivores need something they can actually chew on so they can bring their teeth to proper use.

Some additional ideas, why not add a large boulder some dinosaurs can lay themselves down upon to enjoy the sun's warm rays? Or some rocks or tree trunks as scratching posts for carnivores they can use to sharpen their claws? Could work up to the size of an Indoraptor, not sure about the Indominus rex as it could be simply too huge for that (and other carnivores have too short fore limbs).

And last but not least, somebody did already propose it, sadly I cannot recall who it was:
Add this enrichment activity for smart carnivores (and maybe even herbivores?) like the hybrids and the Velociraptors. It would put their minds and smartness to good use.

I really like the idea of introducing a need to scratch claws for certain carnivores. Especially the hybrids like the Indoraptor and Indominous rex as they do have those deadly claws and their markings visible in the movies. I think certain enrichment items could do multiple things, so the dead stump could be high enough for the dinosaurs to be used for scratching. Plus, this would be great if we ever get dinosaurs with large claws in the future like Therizinosaurus, Deinocheirus, and Gigantoraptor, as their enrichment asset will be ready in the game.

Yes on the lever idea! I love it!! It will actually be cool niche enrichment objects for the raptors and their hybrids, as this could make them like the chimpanzees of Jurassic World, really intelligent creatures than what we take for granted. I could see the Velociraptor, Indoraptor, and Spinoraptor do such an experiment where a lever will be pulled to get the meat treat. I think we could also have a larger version for the Indominous rex, but I could see the indoraptor having this more than her as he is more raptor and lacks the camouflage quirk of the Indominous rex.

Also to add to this thread, we could have the dinosaur enrichment decay speed affect the responsibility to keep these animals busy. Where more intelligent dinosaurs need to entertain themselves a lot where the slower ones have less of a need to be engaged.

I was thinking like this:

SLOWEST RATE OF DECAY:
• Sauropods
• Ankylodocus

They are big, slow creatures. They may actually have a level of intelligence we do not really know about, but they are better off being the slowest to keep engaged as they take a long time to take care of their other needs mechanically. Where sometimes they would starve as they are on their way to the feeder, or get really thirsty as they get to the water. Having them to go to the enrichment objects at a similar rate to other dinosaurs would probably do them more harm than good.

SLOW RATE OF DECAY:
• Hadrosaurs
• Ornithomimidae
• Nodosauridae
• Compsognathus

These guys could do with some entertainment when compared to sauropods, but are still rather easy to take care of. The Hadrosaurs and Ornithomimids have their large social numbers that keeps them busy, and having a strong sense of herd mentality to them. The Nodosaurids are very chill and are similar to turtles, they probably do not need the attention to be engaged.

MODERATE RATE OF DECAY:
• Ankylosauridae
• Stegosauridae
• Ceratopsids
• Dryosaurus, Ouranosaurus, and Iguanodon
• Ceratosaurus
• Metriacanthosaurus
• Majungasaurus
• Pachycephalosauridae
• Stegoceratops

These dinosaurs have a standard rate of decay, they will be manageable to take care of, but the consequences of not keeping them entertained is more notable here. A lot of these dinosaurs are able to initiate combat, and would likely have a more intimate social life compared to the hadrosaurs and ornithomimids. These dinosaurs would definitely need the engagement to keep them distracted from time to time. I also included the ouranosaurus, dryosaurus, and iguanodon in this rate so that they could be more unique from the hadrosaur mechanic, as well as implementing a sense of curiosity with these dinosaurs.

FAST RATE OF DECAY:
• Spinosaurids
• Deinonychus
• Dilophosaurus
• Giganotosaurus
• Allosaurus
• Carnotaurus
• Carcharodontosaurus
• Acrocanthosaurus
• Herrerasaurus
• Proceratosaurus
• Albertosaurus
• Tyrannosaurus Rex

These dinosaurs are often the predators that would seek out their meals and are combat ready, the dangerous creatures to have in your parks. Their enrichment need are akin to their hunt need, so alongside the need to keep entertained with bones, rock platforms, and scratching aid, they would like to hunt live prey from time to time. These dinosaurs are manageable to keep busy with enrichment objects, but providing them with live prey will keep them calm and collected and not have them attempt to escape from their enclosure to hunt down the humans.

FASTEST RATE OF DECAY:
• Velociraptor
• Troodon
• Indominus Rex
• Indoraptor
• Spinoraptor

The most hostile creatures in our parks are also some of the most intelligent creatures in JP lore. The velociraptor has been recognized in the JP universe as the smartest creature after man based on the Fallen Kingdom movie. Their way of socializing and hunting are intelligent and tactical. Troodon is next is often referred as one of the smarted dinosaurs to ever walk the earth. Having them here would make sense to match their intelligence, as players who have these small creatures as the common carnivore would be greatly mistaken. The carnivore hybrids all are here as well to match their ferociousness and high intelligence, as all of them are part raptor mixed with large aggressive carnivores. As experimental hybrids, their unhinged and unrecorded behavior would make sense to have them here as we are not really sure what they are capable of.

They would need a lot of enrichment objects to keep them busy, and some enrichment objects catered to test their intelligence. A variety of live prey would also keep them engaged. These carnivores are top priority in keeping them busy as to make sure they do not get out of hand.

Excellent idea with about the decay!
I like the idea of combining these enrichment activities with the actual need to keep our dinosaurs entertained so they don't get bored. And the more variety in enrichment activities we have, the better!

Back
Top Bottom