Is it normal for Carrier jump times to be over 40 minutes now?

Hey all,

I've not jumped my Carrier in likely well over a year - it was great where it was in LHS 317. I've jumped it a couple of times recently, and it's always taking a good forty minutes or so to actually jump. This isn't a huge issue if I've planned ahead, but if I need to jump someone during a session, well, that's a lot of potentially dead time. What I'm doing to sorta counter this, is fly to where I want to do stuff, then bring the Carrier along a bit later.

If forty minutes+ is the new normal, so be it, but that's a looong time to wait mid-session.

Thought: I wonder if this new tech will speed up Carrier jumps? :)

Edit: On a somewhat related note, is it normal that my ship comes to a halt when I open the Carrier Management screen? I was fleeing from some Thargoids - and out-distancing them nicely at full speed - when I went to check on the progress on my Carrier Jump. I exit the UI, back in my ship's cockpit, and it's ground to a halt! Throttle is still at 100% exactly where I left it. Random.

Last edited:
Yes, jump times are back to about 40 minutes for me too.

Earlier today they were the regular 15 so I guess it's server load or something something something.

Hey all,

I've not jumped my Carrier in likely well over a year - it was great where it was in LHS 317. I've jumped it a couple of times recently, and it's always taking a good forty minutes or so to actually jump. This isn't a huge issue if I've planned ahead, but if I need to jump someone during a session, well, that's a lot of potentially dead time. What I'm doing to sorta counter this, is fly to where I want to do stuff, then bring the Carrier along a bit later.

If forty minutes+ is the new normal, so be it, but that's a looong time to wait mid-session.
High volumes of FCs jumping can cause longer times, this is most noticeable at the weekend and when some event causes lots of interest in participation such as the recent Titan demolitions and the CG that started on Thursday.

Monday thru Wednesday I was getting 15-17 minutes which is normal for when I play.

Thought: I wonder if this new tech will speed up Carrier jumps? :)

Edit: On a somewhat related note, is it normal that my ship comes to a halt when I open the Carrier Management screen? I was fleeing from some Thargoids - and out-distancing them nicely at full speed - when I went to check on the progress on my Carrier Jump. I exit the UI, back in my ship's cockpit, and it's ground to a halt! Throttle is still at 100% exactly where I left it. Random.
I believe that is the usual behaviour and really wish it wasn’t.

Took me over two days to shift the squadron FC out to Formidine Rift this week - 15 min jump in the morning, gradually increasing to over 40 min by evening. Had lots of other stuff to do so it was not a deal-breaker, just annoying. (Obviously I was not actually playing ED all day. )

P.S. Yes I noticed the ship stopping when in Carrier Management screens - not sure if that is a new thing. It does the same if you go into the "pause menu" doesn't it - you know, to change options, etc. (Yes I know there is no pause.)
I didn’t think it did stop when you are at the menu with resume at the top, if you go to the main menu of course it stops because you have exited the game.

It's probably due to the CG. Jump times always increase during them. A recent jump took me over an hour. My last jump was only about 20 minutes

What I'm doing to sorta counter this, is fly to where I want to do stuff, then bring the Carrier along a bit later.

15 minutes is already too long for me to sit around waiting for a carrier jump.

I just use the carrier management right-hand panel on ship from wherever I am, queue up the jump, get on with my simulated life (carrier still jumps while outside the game too, if I have IRL business.)

When you plan ahead, perhaps ordering the Carrier to jump at the end of a session, ready for next time, the jump time makes zero difference. When however, you're in a situation where you unexpectedly need your carrier - events / opportunities have changed how / where you're playing this session - it's quite irksome to have to wait so long.

While waiting for my Carrier, I just get on with stuff - if I can without it - or perhaps go get a drink and fix a snack. Carrier jump delays are making me fat! BBC headline news "Long Carrier jump delays contributing to national obesity epidemic" - it could happen lol.

I think each year the amount of carriers further accumulates and further impedes performance.
Is true. The smart idea was not to have FCs in the first place.

No, it's not true. Jump times are dependent on the number of carriers wanting to make a jump, not the amount of carriers by itself. That's why 15 minute jump times are still possible during quiet periods, with the times increasing because of in-game events that encourage players to move their carriers around. If it was just the number of carriers then it wouldn't matter what was happening in-game, jump times would have just kept increasing in line with the number of carriers.

I also don't think that longer jump times during peak traffic periods is a sufficient reason for claiming that FCs are a bad idea. It's only a problem for FC owners who refuse to adapt their play style.

No, it's not true. Jump times are dependent on the number of carriers wanting to make a jump, not the amount of carriers by itself. That's why 15 minute jump times are still possible during quiet periods, with the times increasing because of in-game events that encourage players to move their carriers around. If it was just the number of carriers then it wouldn't matter what was happening in-game, jump times would have just kept increasing in line with the number of carriers.

I also don't think that longer jump times during peak traffic periods is a sufficient reason for claiming that FCs are a bad idea. It's only a problem for FC owners who refuse to adapt their play style.
More carriers means more jumps are desired by players. That's a fact.

More means more. That's the gist of it. And unless FD does something about it that state persists and even will get worse until the problem goes away naturally: When the curve of active players goes down and fewer jumps are scheduled.

Top Bottom